How's it goin from Sydney

Gaz

Hi,

Firstly Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

The name's Gaz, and am just an 18 year old guy trying to get closer towards understanding my grandfathers. I've always heard that they had a massive shaving collection (mostly straight razors with a couple of safety razors in the mix) in their home countries, but unfortunately left it all behind.

I've always thought of shaving as another 'one of those things we just need to do', and thought nothing special of it. But after my first shave with a safety razor (and of course there were a few cuts), I have got to say that it was actually kinda fun.

(I'll post a photo once it allows me to do so)

Anyways thats about it. Have a safe holiday everyone,
Cheers

Welcome @Gaz Good to see some young blood, a lot of us are retired or should be. There is a lot of knowledge among the members so don‘t be afraid to ask for advice. Enjoy the forum for what it is.

Like your story @Gaz and I think it's a great idea. Have you got any of your grandfathers razors? You're on the right track. Start with safety razors (DE). Get yourself some quality artisan shave soap and try a few different types of brushes. Once you've got the hang of that buy yourself a straight razor and learn how to shave with it. It's not the quickest or most convenient shave but if you want a shave with soul in it, there it is right there. And you'll be shaving like your grandfathers. :)(y)

Another Sydney member, welcome to P&C @Gaz

LNgfOk7.gif

Wecome @Gaz, let us know what your current kit consists of

Reactions: Gaz
Welcome to P&C @Gaz - great to have you here (y)

G’day @Gaz . Welcome to P&C.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Have you got any of your grandfathers razors?

Unfortunately not. Most of his possessions were left behind whilst migrating to Oz, however, I do have one of his ancient harmonicas.

let us know what your current kit consists of

Pre shave: Proraso green pre-shave cream
Razor: An off brand razor bought for $15 on ebay (I will upgrade soon)
Blade: Derby premium
Brush: Proraso Boar Shaving Brush by Omega
Soap: Proraso green

Welcome young man, there is much to try and experience and as you have found it really can be quite enjoyable. It only gets better as you find what suits your expectations and comfort etc, I hated shaving for 4 decades and turned to wet safety shaving and it's now the delight of my day and I really look forward to it. Enjoy your time sharing on the forum, it's a fantastic place full of great people. Have a question, just ask as there's a fountain of experience and knowledge between these members here, and remember......the only really silly questions are the ones we never ask.

A few staples there you must have been doing some research
Razor: An off brand razor bought for $15 on ebay (I will upgrade soon)
Welcome to the enablers club :) Take the plunge soon. I made the mistake of sticking with a no brand Russian adjustable and Woolies Wilkies for 6 months. Yeah it was better than carts but I didn't know how good a shave can be.
If you are serious about a new razor @Errol reviews are a good reference.
https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/weekly-razor-review.5077/post-130892
There are a few really good beginners razors that will last a lifetime or if you have the money and predilection go straight for the middle class (I say that because the top shelf can be expensive).
Name your price range and how coarse your beard is and I am sure a few members will recommend a good razor.
Definitely get some sample blade packs to experiment with.
Another thread worth reading: https://paste-and-cut.com.au/commun...rt-it-all-again-razor-choice.5552/post-144980

welcome - yes i was the same. shaving was a chore but now with a few purchases its a good experience