Review I Coloniali Mango Oil Shave Cream

Lifes a Peach

...or a mango. But definitely a fruit.
2016 Sabbatical
Charity Auction Team
I Coloniali is a gem Italian made non-tallow based soap that was on my wish list for a very long time. Everything from it's packaging to it's scent is so unique. The shave and post-shave performance exceeded my expectations. Despite it's name, this is a soap, not a cream.

Packaging: Presentation is first class. The soap comes in a very attractive terracotta bowl with lid and covered with a top layer of disposable aluminium foil. It stands out there with my MWF and L'Occitaine Cade bowls. A stupid exception here is that the sticker that holds the lid to the bowl leaves stain on either side of the terracotta. It would appear that the soap has been poured and left to cure in the terracotta. The result is a hard dollop like puck that hasn't been smoothed out like other soaps. There is a fine powdery ash like texture on the top.

D9LK2hs.jpg

(Photo from Bullgoose)

Scent: Hard to describe. Nothing in my collection comes close to it's unique scent. Certainly no Mango notes that I can detect. If hard pressed, I would say it smells a bit like sweet incense and spice. Delightful and invigorating that lingers for quite some time after the shave.

Performance: The richness and moisture qualities of the lather are exceptional. It was easy to lather and felt luxurious. Superb razor glide and protection. My face felt smooth and soft after the shave and well into the rest of the day. The post-shave performance is on par with or perhaps exceeds MWF.

Price: Not cheap for 100 grams. Terracotta bowl and soap will set you back about $26, not including postage. Soap only is around $18. With some blades added to my purchase, postage was around $11. Purchased from Connaught (http://www.connaughtshaving.com)

Summary:
Wonderful performer and unique soap that was worth the procrastination. An enigma being labelled a cream made from Mango Oil and yet it's a hard soap and smells nothing like Mango. The scent, luxury feel and top notch performance will ensure that it remains in my rotation.

Great review LaP. Thanks for your write up. Seems like P&C is getting a nice collection of reviews now!

I too have been eying this for a while. You can also get it from Gifts & Care (along with 10% discount and many other items!).

Popped around to peaches today to return a soap. Gave it a quick go and definitely has top shelf performance and a nice cooling effect from the touch of menthol in the mix. [emoji106]
He must have been attached to it already if he didn't lend it to you! [emoji6]

Super. Just great! I need another European soap like I need a scrunchy (I have the exact same hairstyle as my avatar)
P.S., great review though @Lifes a Peach

Super. Just great! I need another European soap like I need a scrunchy (I have the exact same hairstyle as my avatar)
P.S., great review though @Lifes a Peach
Hope those scruchies come in pairs, then you can use them as wrist warmers, as those cuffs look a tad short mate ;)

Hope those scruchies come in pairs, then you can use them as wrist warmers, as those cuffs look a tad short mate ;)
Funny too 'coz at work they're always long - french cuff is dress of the day...