I don't "get" watches, but....

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
I sort of get what gets some people.

I bought my first watch in 15 years the other week, and I'm really enjoying wearing one again. I stopped about the time I started carrying a phone, but not being surgically attached to mine, it wasn't always around to function as a watch.
Plus, the kids probably don't remember the days before smart phones, but back then, phones actually ran for a week on one charge... mine barely makes it through a day.

From the other thread asking about watches, this is what I got. Creation said 40mm, but it's 42 and it looks bigger in pictures, if that makes sense. It fits me very well.
Yes, it's got two new straps already...

IMG_2335.JPGIMG_2336.JPG

I did the wrong thing with these natos and bought cheap. They're not stitched and very thin, I will buy something decent. I got a perlon too, but it's even crappier.
Good quality perlons are hard to find, at least anyone that'll ship them.

Since buying this, I've started off thinking about a decent dress watch, and it'll probably be another Seiko automatic.
I've looked at others but something about the Seikos keeps me going back to them. The value for money with them is very good and they just seem to have faces I like more.

ebc84571cf9e320c6340201b26a269a6.jpg

This one specifically. It comes with a bracelet, but I don't get on with them. I'd do what this guy has done. I think you can put almost any kind of strap on this and it'll work to make it smart or more casual.
These are about $500 from Singers, but I'd prefer to dig around and see if I can buy used. Seems there's plenty of watch nerds selling to fund the next one...

I did get my TAG 2000 quartz going again, courtesy of a friend of Tom's in Perth, but it's such a tiny watch I don't think I can wear it. It's about 32mm and just not very readable.

This Seiko 5 has passed the test already, I've managed to bash and ding it on anything that does and doesn't move, and it's not got a mark on it. The lume is also very cool.
I remember this was THE cool watch feature when I was a kid, probably because it contained all the radioactive stuff they can't use any more.
Anyway, it's really practical, from time checks at the Darts Masters the other night (cos it was boring as batshit), to almost way-past-bedtime checks at the whiskey bar afterwards.

That's a nice air-style 5. Love the red-tipped seconds on it, and the Seiko lume is fantastic too as you mentioned. The Air Blue range is cheap and has some various styles but won't have the near-nuclear lume of the Seiko.

If you want that SARB031 then keep an eye on Massdrop where they do the 031/035 for for a bit less, or you could go used. Keep an eye on WUS or similar sites and try to grab one locally if you can.

Really happy with my Melbourne Watch Co 'Hawthorn' which is my daily. Some of the Micro-brands deliver amazing value - I scored mine on a 30% off sale so it was a no-brainer. The Obris Morgan brand is great but you have to keep an eye on it when they release stock.... the Miyota 9015 movement is in very short supply unfortunately.

I sort of get what gets some people.

I bought my first watch in 15 years the other week, and I'm really enjoying wearing one again. I stopped about the time I started carrying a phone, but not being surgically attached to mine, it wasn't always around to function as a watch.
Plus, the kids probably don't remember the days before smart phones, but back then, phones actually ran for a week on one charge... mine barely makes it through a day.

From the other thread asking about watches, this is what I got. Creation said 40mm, but it's 42 and it looks bigger in pictures, if that makes sense. It fits me very well.
Yes, it's got two new straps already...

View attachment 1038View attachment 1039

I did the wrong thing with these natos and bought cheap. They're not stitched and very thin, I will buy something decent. I got a perlon too, but it's even crappier.
Good quality perlons are hard to find, at least anyone that'll ship them.

Since buying this, I've started off thinking about a decent dress watch, and it'll probably be another Seiko automatic.
I've looked at others but something about the Seikos keeps me going back to them. The value for money with them is very good and they just seem to have faces I like more.

ebc84571cf9e320c6340201b26a269a6.jpg

This one specifically. It comes with a bracelet, but I don't get on with them. I'd do what this guy has done. I think you can put almost any kind of strap on this and it'll work to make it smart or more casual.
These are about $500 from Singers, but I'd prefer to dig around and see if I can buy used. Seems there's plenty of watch nerds selling to fund the next one...

I did get my TAG 2000 quartz going again, courtesy of a friend of Tom's in Perth, but it's such a tiny watch I don't think I can wear it. It's about 32mm and just not very readable.

This Seiko 5 has passed the test already, I've managed to bash and ding it on anything that does and doesn't move, and it's not got a mark on it. The lume is also very cool.
I remember this was THE cool watch feature when I was a kid, probably because it contained all the radioactive stuff they can't use any more.
Anyway, it's really practical, from time checks at the Darts Masters the other night (cos it was boring as batshit), to almost way-past-bedtime checks at the whiskey bar afterwards.
Some nice looking tickers there, @Drubbing. Timeless and versatile designs. You've got a good eye.

The first thing I bought with my very own pay check at my first job out of uni was a watch. To me it always symbolised being an adult.

Nice watch @Drubbing, I have to agree with you about Seiko's there is something about them, and when looking at new watches I ususally end up checking them out.

@Monsta_AU I have the 'Carlton' from Melbourne Watch Co and I really like their watches, great timepieces.