Ideas for cheap wet shaver starter gift pack

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Hi guys,

As I've mentioned a couple of times on here, I'm planning on utilising my new found enjoyment of wet shaving to make small gift packs for male friends and family members, to give to them at christmas.

We have an unwritten rule that gifts should be around the $30 mark, so that's what I'm trying to stick with.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

• Razor: Restored Gillete Tech or Super Speed
  • Blades: 5 x Derby, 5 x Shark, 5 x Astra
  • Cream: Arko adventure shaving cream 94 ml tube
  • Brush: No. 6 brush from bestshave.net
  • Some sort of nice (but cheap!) wood box to put it in ???

Deliberately not going to put in any aftershave lotion/gel as it isn't in budget (and its a fairly personally choice anyway I guess).

A little stuck on the box though. Any suggestions?

Hi guys,

As I've mentioned a couple of times on here, I'm planning on utilising my new found enjoyment of wet shaving to make small gift packs for male friends and family members, to give to them at christmas.

We have an unwritten rule that gifts should be around the $30 mark, so that's what I'm trying to stick with.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

• Razor: Restored Gillete Tech or Super Speed
  • Blades: 5 x Derby, 5 x Shark, 5 x Astra
  • Cream: Arko adventure shaving cream 94 ml tube
  • Brush: No. 6 brush from bestshave.net
  • Some sort of nice (but cheap!) wood box to put it in ???

Deliberately not going to put in any aftershave lotion/gel as it isn't in budget (and its a fairly personally choice anyway I guess).

A little stuck on the box though. Any suggestions?

Go to the [insert local brand of] dollar shop nearest you and look there for a box. Maybe not get a wooden one but maybe a cane one which would look quite nice.

I wouldn't go vintage gillette, some people are strange about s/h razors.

I did buy a few feather portables a couple of years ago from pauldog. He's been in most forums for a long time,but kicked out of a few too.

google search shows the razor I mean with an image in the first link https://www.google.com.au/search?cl...rceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest so Look aat them and click them for the link to decent feedback. Ideal gift IMHO, gets them on the train and then they can but their own merkur/muhle/vintage gillette.

The portable is the tech clone, plus they make a TTO type as well, as do KAI I think?
Then there's parker from india and a fair few chinese/korean brands.
Cheap TTO territory is always dodgey, but look for a tech clone and you can't go wrong maybe?
You are going to heavily hit up various shaving forums to find them now though I think. but worth the effort. I think I paid $12 each for mine, and they were decent enough and It's not like you'll find good vintage gillettes for that price that don't need replating, and a lot cheaper than merkurs.

Last edited:
Go to the [insert local brand of] dollar shop nearest you and look there for a box. Maybe not get a wooden one but maybe a cane one which would look quite nice.

Thanks Mark- my wife actually just mentioned seeing such a thing at the local cheap shop so I think you might be on to something!

I wouldn't go vintage gillette, some people are strange about s/h razors.

I did buy a few feather portables a couple of years ago from pauldog. He's been in most forums for a long time,but kicked out of a few too.

google search shows the razor I mean with an image in the first link https://www.google.com.au/search?cl...rceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest so Look aat them and click them for the link to decent feedback. Ideal gift IMHO, gets them on the train and then they can but their own merkur/muhle/vintage gillette.

The portable is the tech clone, plus they make a TTO type as well, as do KAI I think?
Then there's parker from india and a fair few chinese/korean brands.
Cheap TTO territory is always dodgey, but look for a tech clone and you can't go wrong maybe?
You are going to heavily hit up various shaving forums to find them now though I think. but worth the effort. I think I paid $12 each for mine, and they were decent enough and It's not like you'll find good vintage gillettes for that price that don't need replating, and a lot cheaper than merkurs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm 99% confident that the intended recipients of the gift packs won't mind that they are second hand so that should be okay.

Yes, although the TTO design is cool it obviously a little more complex than a three-piece like the Tech, so potentially more to go wrong I guess.

Arko has an ... interesting scent which might turn people off the whole idea of a wet shave.

I'd probably grab some creams that aren't so bad smelling. My first was the Derby menthol which was cheap and smelled quite nice.

Arko has an ... interesting scent which might turn people off the whole idea of a wet shave.

I'd probably grab some creams that aren't so bad smelling. My first was the Derby menthol which was cheap and smelled quite nice.

I've heard that a couple of times about Arko. I had a quick whiff of the Arko adventure that arrived today and it seemed nice enough to me though?

If you wanted a shaving stick there are four Speick sticks still available YNW on this thread for $25 posted - not a bad price for a great soap.

If you are not a member there PM me and we can work something out