INSTRUCTIONS - Making & Using Diamond Pasted Balsa Strops [Rev. B]

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
Refining a SR on diamond pasted balsa strops may not be for everyone but many will appreciate shaving with probably the sharpest edge that they can put onto a traditional straight razor.

The attached instructions are a dynamic document that will be revised as now things are learned and questions raised by those who use them. Any questions or suggestions should be posted in this thread.

Richard - have you considered making YouTube videos?
I have already made a few very short YouTube videos where I thought they were needed. Videos covering about all aspects of SR shaving have already been made by others and published.

I you believe that an aspect of using diamond pasted balsa strops needs a video, let me know and I will consider it.

So just to clarify.
I need diamond paste grits:
100 000
50 000
10 000
?
Also the AU (Rubyvale and cut) seller give no info about concentration.

So just to clarify.
I need diamond paste grits:
100 000
50 000
10 000
?
Also the AU (Rubyvale and cut) seller give no info about concentration.
NO.

You need:
200 000 grit = 0.1μm
100 000 grit = 0.25μm
50 000 grit = 0.5μm

I should include that in the next revision. Thank you for bring that up.

Don't worry about concentrations. Any concentration will do. To applyit, you will be watering it down with rubbing alcohol.

I think you should make a video - I want to “meet” the legend that mentoring the next generation of SR shavers :)

NO.

You need:
200 000 grit = 0.1μm
100 000 grit = 0.25μm
50 000 grit = 0.5μm

I should include that in the next revision. Thank you for bring that up.

Don't worry about concentrations. Any concentration will do. To applyit, you will be watering it down with rubbing alcohol.
Thank you very much.
Thats really confusing. I was sure that grit 1000
Means 1/1000 mm, 10000 means 1/10000 mm etc.