Intermediate razor suggestions

r377

Hi guys,

Been wet shaving for a bit under 12 months. Started off with an Edwin Jagger DE89 to work on my technique. It gives a mild shave, doesn't quite get BBS but was good for a beginner like me.

Looking around now for what i want for xmas. I like the Rockwell 6S and some of the Razorock models but there are so many to choose from.

The 6S is really pushing it price range. My beard growth would be around a 7 or 8. 0 mild, 5 average and 10 being hardcore course.

Any recommendation as to what would be a next razor for me please ?

thanks

What blade/s to do you currently use with the DE89 as trying a sharper blade might make a difference...?

It really depends on your budget and whether you aim for a BBS or DFS during shaving?

The safest option would be the SS 6S as plates R4-R6 offer a super smooth shave with greater efficiency than the DE89.

The 6C is exactly the same razor, just in chrome plated base metal (probably Zamak, though I stand to be corrected on that). With care, it should last forever, but if you drop it on a hard floor, there's a risk that some of the chrome might chip off, and start corrosion. Just half the price of the 6S.

what are the main differences please ? one is stainless steel and adjustable.

If i find a nice plate im happy with the 6C there will be no real difference ? thanks
The 6S is the SS version made in the US with the cheaper zinc alloy 6C made in China. Both have had issues with the threading so not sure if these have since been rectified?
The 6S is heavy but one of the most comfortable razors to use as its super smooth with best results achieved using the R4-R6 plates with a variety of blade types.
From memory the DE89 would be similar to the R3 plate with R4 ideal for daily shaves when paired with a Gillette Nacet.
If money is no option than just get a Game Changer .84P as its the great balance between efficiency/smoothness/blade feel or a Karve C plate+ if you don't want the added blade feel. Good luck making a selection. (y)

Alternatively, lots of us have good reports of Razorock offerings (including me - the GC-JAWS is a great razor), but you have to make some educated guesses as to how much aggression you want. My suggestion would be to get a GC 0.84 and take your time playing with a few different blades to see what works out for you.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Rockwell has an imperial thread, whereas the majority of others have an M5 thread, so if you went to swap handles/baseplates with other razors, you might be in for trouble.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Rockwell has an imperial thread, whereas the majority of others have an M5 thread, so if you went to swap handles/baseplates with other razors, you might be in for trouble.

I have no trouble switching the handle on a Rockwell 6C and a Muhle R89 or any razor with a 10-32 thread. It is certainly possible to obtain BBS with a Rockwell 6x series razor. Even on plate R1 a satisfactory outcome is possible - see this recent review by Kevy Shaves:

what are the main differences please ? one is stainless steel and adjustable.

If i find a nice plate im happy with the 6C there will be no real difference ? thanks
Both Rockwell 6C and 6S shaves exactly the same, however, the only biggest difference during the shaves is the weight of both Rockwell. 6S is heavier than the 6C, but, 6C only cost about half the price than the 6S.

Both Rockwell 6C & 6S is not adjustable, both should've been called base plate changeable. Adjustable and changeable are two different things as a razor tool.

The Rockwell Model T is an adjustable not changeable.

If there was a one and done razor that would last a lifetime it would have to be the 6S. Not flashy like a Wolfman, doesn' t have as many options as the Karve, but it is probably the best tool razor on the market for the $. I would be more than happy to have to have the 6S as my only razor if needed to be.

6S over the 6C, just from a feel and quality standpoint.

If you want to avoid the adjustable path, grab the RazoRock Game Changer .84-P and if you decide you want adjustability, you can always order other base plates for the GCdown the track if you wanted to change it up.

I have no trouble switching the handle on a Rockwell 6C and a Muhle R89 or any razor with a 10-32 thread. It is certainly possible to obtain BBS with a Rockwell 6x series razor. Even on plate R1 a satisfactory outcome is possible - see this recent review by Kevy Shaves:

I was totally Gobsmack watching Kev shaving with the R1 base, because, I've never bloody bother trying the R1 and I thought it's way too mild.

I recently went from a de89 to a rockwell 6s.
I too was debating whether or not i got the Gamechanger, rockwell or Karve and came up with the following conclusions

Gamechanger - No idea if i wanted the .68 or .84 or Open comb versions
Karve - No local support, i wanted the alu version but sold out and i dont like brass. The SS was out of my price range
Rockwell - Sold locally (10mins drive away) and was adjustable so i could really find what type of aggression i was after
why i went for the 6s over the 6c. Im pretty lazy when it comes to maintenance so i figured stainless would survive alot longer :D

Highly recommend it, there is a very clear difference in smoothness between the two from what ive found
id say the equivalent is around plate 3 maybe 4, if your after a bit more aggression 5-6 plate is a step above

If you arent set on stainless and on a budget perhaps a parker variant might fit in?

Hope that helps!

The 6s has been my daily driver for a while now, and I suspect it will be my primary go to razor for a very long time. I still have a 6c as well, but find that it shaves quite differently even though they’re identical in design (the extra weight of the 6s makes a positive difference IMO).

I also had a recent opportunity to try out the Gamechange .84 for a few weeks (thanks @Holiday). It’s just as good as the 6S overall, but was a very different experience. I found the GC to be more of a precision instrument, requiring careful technique to achieve best results. By contrast the 6S (on plate 6) is basically idiot proof for me; almost guaranteed a smooth close shave regardless of how sloppy your technique gets.

One more observation - my optimum blade with 6S on plate 6 is the Polsilver Super Iridium. For some reason the GC wasn’t great for me with Polsilvers, but it came to life when loaded with Feathers.

I also had a recent opportunity to try out the Gamechange .84 for a few weeks (thanks @Holiday). It’s just as good as the 6S overall, but was a very different experience. I found the GC to be more of a precision instrument, requiring careful technique to achieve best results. By contrast the 6S (on plate 6) is basically idiot proof for me; almost guaranteed a smooth close shave regardless of how sloppy your technique gets.

One more observation - my optimum blade with 6S on plate 6 is the Polsilver Super Iridium. For some reason the GC wasn’t great for me with Polsilvers, but it came to life when loaded with Feathers.
I had the opposite results with the 6C vs the GC .84-P

The 6C was rough and not a great shave on plate 5&6, but the GC .84 was super smooth and efficient with no issues, regardless of the blade. A feather in both was horrible either way :dead: