Intermediate razor suggestions

I'll probably be burned as a heretic for saying this, but I find [the appearance of] wolfpersons somewhat unappealing. I don't need bling, and the general styling of them just looks clunky to me. However, I haven't actually tried one, and I'm totally prepared to accept that they do the job really well.

But having to join a queue to express an interest in buying one in a decade's time is (IMO) just wank. That kind of marketing should qualify for a top position in public office.

Now, does anyone need a match?

Hey, Joey, are you having a jolly good time?
giphy.gif

I'll probably be burned as a heretic for saying this, but I find [the appearance of] wolfpersons somewhat unappealing. I don't need bling, and the general styling of them just looks clunky to me. However, I haven't actually tried one, and I'm totally prepared to accept that they do the job really well.

But having to join a queue to express an interest in buying one in a decade's time is (IMO) just wank. That kind of marketing should qualify for a top position in public office.

Now, does anyone need a match?

legend

I know where your coming from. Wolfman taking tips from Rolex.

Funny thing is in order to satisfy my shaves I would require a Wolfman WR2 in 1.35 or 1.45 SB plate, even then maybe I may not be satisfied. To pay $1000 for the privilege, no thanks I can already achieve that with a $50 razor head, and still have change to buy another 30+ artisan shave soaps.:)
Agree the price is expensive but people keep forgetting its CAD and not USD so very comparable to our own AUD...
Speaking from experience, having used both I can appreciate the craftsmanship and polished finish and of all the DEs I've tried the WR1 standard provided consistent BBS with little effort.
Saying that, my 34C still manages to provide a decent shave so perfectly understand the lack of appeal but there's a good reason why the Wolfman is such a highly praised razor... Just my 5c :censored:

Despite being a very happy 6S user, I completely agree with @alfredus here. The DE89 and similarly derivatives are excellent razors, when paired with the right blades and the right technique. I always chase and generally get BBS - occasionally with some damage but there's not much of that these days. What I have found is the following:

- A mild razor like the DE89 requires a sharp / aggressive blade to work well for me, preferably changed regularly to keep it sharp. Otherwise, it's too mild / inefficient - it's easy to miss bits at the right angle and regrowth comes in too early. However, if you get this right, it's also the most "mindless" shaving option - if your technique isn't perfect it won't bite you too hard. The perfect option for a bleary eyed workday shave where you can't really be arsed / don't have enough time but you need to shave regardless. Probably needs 3 full passes and touch ups to get BBS but they can be quick passes if you need them to be.

- An aggressive razor requires a smoother / less aggressive blade option if you want similar results - although technique needs to step up a notch to avoid damage - particularly pressure. It will be more efficient but it will also be less tolerant of mistakes. Requires fewer touch ups / passes to get a BBS but they need to be done slower and more carefully to avoid blood, resulting in no real speed improvement. Lots of cheap blade options to choose from here though and you can be a bit slack about changing them so often. My Fatip Grande with a Lord blade springs to mind as a good (brass) option here, if you can tolerate some poor tolerances which can leave the blade at an angle in the razor when you tighten the handle. By the way, the most aggressive plate on the 6S doesn't really qualify here - it's more of a middle ground in terms of overall aggression, which is not a bad thing as long as you aren't expecting the fully spectrum in one razor option.

- You can pair an aggressive razor with a sharp / aggressive blade (my Feather Artist Club with a Feather blade is the ultimate expression of that) and it will be very efficient and give an excellent BBS - but your technique has to be spot on and it won't tolerate mistakes. Don't go down this route without being tolerant of a bit of blood because that is how you will learn how to improve your technique! I use this option when I'm not rushed and just want to enjoy the act / experience of shaving, as well as improve my skills / technique. Not such a good option if you just need a decent shave in a hurry... which is most of the time for me these days (unfortunately).

- A mild razor with a mild blade just leaves me with stubble, so that's not a viable option in terms of the BBS I require.

If I had to pick just one option from the above, it would undoubtedly be the first. It's just the most practical solution for me on an everyday basis. So, if you are looking for better / more efficient results, make sure you start out with testing some sharp blades in your DE89 first eg Feathers. Personna Lab blues work a treat in that razor for me too for some reason, although they are too sharp / aggressive for most of my other razors. Having said all that, in agreement with previous posters, if I had to pick only one tool razor to shave with for a lifetime, with value being a factor, it would be the 6S. Stainless is a good thing and I love the weight too.

I'm agreeance with the above.

Except some reason the 6S never agreed with me. I got razor burn from the lower base plates buffing to try to get that close shave and found even R6 wasn’t quite to my liking.

A more expensive razor doesn’t equal a better shave either. It’s all about the whole package including prep. Even changing the handle to one of different length or weight can improved worsen the experience.

I'm agreeance with the above.

Except some reason the 6S never agreed with me. I got razor burn from the lower base plates buffing to try to get that close shave and found even R6 wasn’t quite to my liking.

A more expensive razor doesn’t equal a better shave either. It’s all about the whole package including prep. Even changing the handle to one of different length or weight can improved worsen the experience.
Sometimes, if, you find a perfect blade the suit or blend into the 6S with all the base plate will do the trick, I would strongly advise you to keep searching the right DE blade, that way you can still keep the 6S in your den.

@r377 I don’t have much to add to the wealth of good advice you’ve already received here. One option I went for to save coin whilst experimenting with increased efficiency was swapping out the standard DE89 head for one of the Yaqi heads here.

The ‘flipside’ or ‘SC intermediate’ are imminently affordable and offer a bit more efficiency for you to experiment with using your same DE89 handle. Food for thought anyways.

Hi, appreciate the advise, i have tried the yaqi mild and medium heads but not much success compared to the edwin jagger thanks

Hi,

Thanks for all the info and advise.

In regards to the DE89, I have read similar stories. Guy starts shaving with an 89 for 3 months, not getting BBS so he starts buying all the newest and fancy razors, only to come back to the 89 2 or 3 years later and realise the razor was not that bad after all. Like you said this comes down to experience and technique.

I been shaving about a year, so i thought I had progressed up but now thinking about maybe not as much as i had thought. Lots of different blades to try and different techniques and angles. Even as you said maybe try a lighter pressure on the downforce has helped. Some parts of the face i get BBS but not all. I find my ATG is probably my toughest coming up the face.

I usually shave when kids are in the bath so not 100% concentration, but I had my best ever shave the other day by myself concentrating.

Love Kevy and enjoyed his 6C vs 6S video. Maybe i might try some more soaps and try a pre shave for xmas, maybe i might get the 6C as shaving with just one razor every day (or second day) leaves me wanting a bit of variety.

Money is a bit tight, ill check out some more shaving technique vids to keep working on my technique.

Any other blades to recommend with the DE89 to try ? feather and Personna Lab blues. Ive tried the feathers. Ive got a heap of samples and keep notes but sometimes with my improving technique different results may vary from say 4 or 6 months ago.

Or get a Rocca V4.. best smoothness yo efficiency of any razor I’ve tried

On sale for $115 free delivery atm
If you want one razor that will treat you to smooth & efficient shaves then hard pressed to beat the Rocca V4 and at that price it falls close to your original budget.

Yes the DE89 is a comfortable shave and the 6C/6S offer different plates but why settle for that when you can get a SS razor that doesn't require super sharp blades to provide BBS shaves... My greatest shaves are with the Rocca V4 + Wizamet SI. (y)

Me?? enable?? thats a dirty word, I prefer 'enlighten' :)

In all honesty though, how happy are you with your Rocca?

and @Mark1966 how is the birch handle group buy progressing?
Hahaha 'enlighten' is much more fitting. :LOL:

I'm loving my Rocca so much so that I'm resisting the urge to get the R95... :nailbiting:

Its making me really enjoy my shaves! :love:

Hahaha 'enlighten' is much more fitting. :LOL:

I'm loving my Rocca so much so that I'm resisting the urge to get the R95... :nailbiting:

Its making me really enjoy my shaves! :love:

mate resistance is useless..

I got the R94 and R96, and will definitely be getting the R95, just not right now. As I mentioned before, they both give a different feel/weight but the shave the same.. so the best of both worlds

and the R95 is just such a killer looking razor, I have to get it..

I gingerly mentioned it to the misses the other day to test the waters.. after some initial commentary about me 'losing the plot' and having a 'problem' she actually changed her tune when I showed a pic of the birch handle.. she loves it so I reckon I have the pre-approval sorted :)