International shipping for alcohol-containing aftershaves

Ozymandias

I‘ve noticed that plenty of P&C members purchase shaving products from the big US retailers (Maggard/WCS). In both cases, however, I note their advice that alcohol-based splashes are hazardous goods and cannot be shipped outside continental US. Does anyone have a trick for getting around this or paying for an alternative shipping method?

One of my favourite springtime soaps is B+M’s Reserve Fern. I’d love to get a bottle of the matching splash. Short of flying to the US, I can’t see how that will be possible given no local vendors stock this line.

Am I missing some obvious ‘tricks of the trade’ here?

I’ve given up on alcohol splashes and gotten into fragrances. Some bloody good balms (thin not thick) and even basic splashes available locally, freeing up the cash to buy proper frags.

I‘ve noticed that plenty of P&C members purchase shaving products from the big US retailers (Maggard/WCS). In both cases, however, I note their advice that alcohol-based splashes are hazardous goods and cannot be shipped outside continental US. Does anyone have a trick for getting around this or paying for an alternative shipping method?

One of my favourite springtime soaps is B+M’s Reserve Fern. I’d love to get a bottle of the matching splash. Short of flying to the US, I can’t see how that will be possible given no local vendors stock this line.

Am I missing some obvious ‘tricks of the trade’ here?

No tricks, Almost nobody orders just one splash product at a time as it's very expensive per item cost. The shipping will cost you more than the splash.
FYI - that B&M Fern splash will cost you around US $50+. That is almost 3x its normal retail value. Spreading the shipping cost over several to many items significantly reduces the products overall cost and in some instances makes the product cheaper than purchasing locally if it was available.

Last edited:
Hi P&C esp. @tim33z and @rhodes96 anybody using the free Planet Express mail box and consolidating parcels?
I have 2 parcels arrived and one from Canada pending on day 8 so 2 days free storage left, also want to combine to save on postage.
Parcels are 4 x straight razors and 2 x 2 Declaration Grooming aftershaves
Can you combine on the free mailbox for a price or have to upgrade to $USD50/year?

Hi P&C esp. @tim33z and @rhodes96 anybody using the free Planet Express mail box and consolidating parcels?
I have 2 parcels arrived and one from Canada pending on day 8 so 2 days free storage left, also want to combine to save on postage.
Parcels are 4 x straight razors and 2 x 2 Declaration Grooming aftershaves
Can you combine on the free mailbox for a price or have to upgrade to $USD50/year?

You cannot combine on the free mailbox.
Pay the $10 for the 45 days.

I think you need to upgrade to consolidate. If you won’t be buying over the next 12 months and don’t want to upgrade maybe get 1 month for $10? I think it is?? Small price compared to shipping 2 boxes separately. Well half the cost but a saving nevertheless, and if you have time, get another order sent there!

You cannot combine on the free mailbox.
Pay the $10 for the 45 days.
I think you need to upgrade to consolidate. If you won’t be buying over the next 12 months and don’t want to upgrade maybe get 1 month for $10? I think it is?? Small price compared to shipping 2 boxes separately. Well half the cost but a saving nevertheless, and if you have time, get another order sent there!
I paid the $10 for 45 days to consolidate like @Gargravarr I have a few items coming in from all over North America.

Thanks Gents, I thought the $10/Month was for 12 x months ie: $120 compared to $50

All I have left now is three tubs of Mystic Waters Jeff's Lavender, coming directly from the lady herself. And that's it until 2022.
Appologies @Gargravarr I was referring to @Holiday reply about his purchases.

Could be. I didn’t look into it as I knew I wouldn’t be needing it. @rhodes96 can clarify

If you pay $10 dollars for 1 month it gives you 45 days of parcel storage, consolidation abilities and a sales tax free location for those US sellers who try and fleece you sales tax on the California standard address. You need to renew this every month. If you don't renew your account reverts back to the standard free 10 days storage and no consolidation. If you decide to pay this monthly then yes it will cost you $120 per year.

OR

if you decide you will using this facility for more than 4 months in one year than you can pay a discounted rate of $50 for 1 years consolidation, 45 days storage + sales tax free address.

After 45 days of free consolidation each parcel will be charged additional fees for storage.

I hope this makes sense.

Appologies @Gargravarr I was referring to @Holiday reply about his purchases.

If you pay $10 dollars for 1 month it gives you 45 days of parcel storage, consolidation abilities and a sales tax free location for those US sellers who try and fleece you sales tax on the California standard address. You need to renew this every month. If you don't renew your account reverts back to the standard free 10 days storage and no consolidation. If you decide to pay this monthly then yes it will cost you $120 per year.

OR

if you decide you will using this facility for more than 4 months in one year than you can pay a discounted rate of $50 for 1 years consolidation, 45 days storage + sales tax free address.

After 45 days of free consolidation each parcel will be charged additional fees for storage.

I hope this makes sense.
Half way though my default 'too hard basket' reflex kicked in.

(y):)(y)
No lock-in-contact the $10 updates your mailbox for 1 month

Resurrecting this old thread because I found it last night whilst searching for options to import aftershaves to New Zealand.

I contacted Planet Express and asked them about the apparently contradictory advice in their FAQs; they do ship alcohol, but they don't ship perfumes... They confirmed that alcohol (grog) is fine, but alcohol (fragrance) is not. sigh

So far as I can tell, then, one of the few places willing to ship aftershaves/fragrances internationally from the US without ridiculous shipping charges is smallflower. Does anyone know of any others?

Resurrecting this old thread because I found it last night whilst searching for options to import aftershaves to New Zealand.

I contacted Planet Express and asked them about the apparently contradictory advice in their FAQs; they do ship alcohol, but they don't ship perfumes... They confirmed that alcohol (grog) is fine, but alcohol (fragrance) is not. sigh

So far as I can tell, then, one of the few places willing to ship aftershaves/fragrances internationally from the US without ridiculous shipping charges is smallflower. Does anyone know of any others?
Italian Barber in Canada have no qualms shipping perfumes / Aftershavs. I buy from them all the time and have never had a issue.