Issue with New B&M Soaps

the_shaving_sailor

2018 Sabbatical
ok gents so I bought the new "classic reserve" and "Spiced reserve" and tried to use both of them and as im load and lathering the soap is going gluggy, stringy and isn't lathering properly.

never had this problem with an other soap ever please advise, is there anything I can do or should I try and get a refund?

As I explained in detail in my review of the Reserve range, you need to load much less soap than usual and add much more water. If you do this the soap produces superb lather. If you have used too much lather it isnt a problem, you simply need a lot more water.

If the soap is stringy and claggy it simply needs more water, keep adding water and building a lather with the brush, it comes good after 30 to 40 seconds of hydration.

I have seen people say that if you overload it to that point, get a bowl, add some hot water and start bowl lathering it. And then just keep adding water until you literally down in lather.

I had an issue with the B&M reserve soap this morning. I used the Spice and I tried to load the brush for the smallest amount of time (about 4 or 5 seconds) I then tried to bowl lather, but was getting nowhere. So, I went back to the soap, tipped on some water and went at it hard for about 10 seconds. As everyone has observed, the soap was stringy and gluggy. I then went back to the bowl and started to work it hard. I kept on adding water in small amounts and finally after about a full minute of whipping did I finally have something resembling a lather. I created enough lather for a three pass shave, but at the end when I wrung out my brush (30mm silvertip) I was surprised by the amount of water that came out. I also own the B&M Cologne Russe, and I have found this to be much easier to lather and that it produces more lather (and better in my opinion). Admittedly, I've only had a few of the reserve soaps for a week, so I'll keep experimenting with different brushes and water ratios and fingers crossed.

When you started out was it a wet/dry badger still soaked?
I use synthetic brushes and use them lightly damp. I load for about 10 secs then face lather, while slowly wetting my brush by dripping warm water onto the bristles. Usually about half a dozen times or more.
Works great. Keep trying.

@Rabid Badger, I own all the soaps you mentioned.
Everyone has the issues you are experiencing, at first.

What you need to remember is that the Reserve soapbase is totally different from the other B&M bases.
You can't treat them the same.
Use very little soap and it'll likely require far more water than you think. Treating it like your other B&M soaps will leave you with a clogged brush.

It's not hard or bad. Just different.

@lerenau is right, the base is just different. I actually get excited when I see that gluggy, stringy as I like the lather that's to follow, usually extra creamy. First time I saw the stringy lather it was like 'what the'. I think it's a feature of high KOH soaps. My Nettle n Neem (V1) does it as well.

Try this with a synthetic brush. Wring out most of the water, Load the brush on the soap for about 30 secs, load the bristles from all different angles. The soap will feel tacky and dry. Wet your face and dip brush into about 1 inches of water. Begin your face or bowl lather. As the bristles expand, drip water into the now open centre of the brush. Drip more, drip more, drip more again, and continue to lather. Add water to the brush tips as required. Reserve range is a thirsty soap, but it is a top performer.

Like what most people have said here, the reserve base requires a lot of water to properly hydrate it.
I personally find using a badger brush easier to get this soap hydrated as they hold more water when dipped.
I always load with a damp brush, and then paste onto my face. At this point it's really tacky and pasty. Then dip the tips of the brush into water, and brush the water over the soap on my face. I usually do a quarter of my face per dip of the tips. Should be able to make the soap on your face almost translucent.
Then go ahead and splay the brush to start lathering. I generally repeat the process of adding water and splaying three times and give a final dip of the tips and coat the lather with some water before scraping it all off. :)

yep similar experience, my first attempt was a disaster but once i learnt to lather it using more water, i ordered more. Now B&M reserve will be a staple of my den, being replaced once finished