January 2012 member acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gthomas04

...was Drubbing's first. AKA Captain Tightarse
Will post into December to avoid the "blasted into oblivion" threat.
(It was no threat, just wanted to make sure everybody knows where they stand :p - Monsta)

Just ordered 100 Wilkinson blades from India (I will catch up with Razor on no time now).

Have a razor on the way. Other than a GThomas PIF a few months back it's been a while since I bought one of those. A Gilette ABC pocket edition from Mark. I'll pst a pic or two when it's here.

Tried a few razors from Mark over Xmas - Red Tip and Gillette NEW open comb. Not sure if I like the NEW much, but the price was bargain basement. Meh on the Red Tip, if that's as aggressive as Gillette's get, they're pussies.

Have a razor on the way. Other than a GThomas PIF a few months back it's been a while since I bought one of those. A Gilette ABC pocket edition from Mark. I'll pst a pic or two when it's here.

Tried a few razors from Mark over Xmas - Red Tip and Gillette NEW open comb. Not sure if I like the NEW much, but the price was bargain basement. Meh on the Red Tip, if that's as aggressive as Gillette's get, they're pussies.

Gee, I hope these sales result in happy customers, otherwise I'll be running out of friends here....

Ever wonder why some of us vintage razor guys go on about SE so much?
If you're going vintage, SE is the best.
I've been shaving with on SE for the past 2 months (edit: exclusively I mean, been shaving with them for 3 years on and off with DE.)

Over the holidays I tried a slim adjustable (my favourite TTO DE), it was 'meh'. And then with a NEW (my favourite DE), after the holidays with a 3 day growth to knock down. It was just 'OK'.
I might use them more to get rid of the blades, but I never had a problem and always got a better shave with a SE for most of the past year.

Ever wonder why some of us vintage razor guys go on about SE so much?
If you're going vintage, SE is the best.
I've been shaving with on SE for the past 2 months (edit: exclusively I mean, been shaving with them for 3 years on and off with DE.)

Over the holidays I tried a slim adjustable (my favourite TTO DE), it was 'meh'. And then with a NEW (my favourite DE), after the holidays with a 3 day growth to knock down. It was just 'OK'.
I might use them more to get rid of the blades, but I never had a problem and always got a better shave with a SE for most of the past year.

I've tried pablo. Lent him a Featherweight. No cigar!

But he wants aggressive, so needs a micromatic clog pruf.

Not aggressive for its own sake, but aggressive enough. Every time I try a new razor, I go back to the HD and find its everything I want. Regardless of blade used. The Futur is pretty good too, but loses marks and performance on lesser manoeuvrability.

Not aggressive for its own sake, but aggressive enough. Every time I try a new razor, I go back to the HD and find its everything I want. Regardless of blade used. The Futur is pretty good too, but loses marks and performance on lesser manoeuvrability.

Rocket HD? It is a massively under-rated razor and great bang for buck IMHO.

Have you tried a #16

Rocket HD? It is a massively under-rated razor and great bang for buck IMHO.

Have you tried a #16

You said the Rocket was pretty mild. Don't even know what a #16 is. You can always send me a couple and I'll try them out. You do have a spare 8 or 10?

Reminds me, need to get your others back. Haven't had a chance to post yet, still off with the kids. Full days in to bed by 9. Me, that is.

I find the rockets and aristocrats very mild, which is why I said for DE I only use the NEW and the slim adjustable.

Drubbing, the micromatic clog pruf isn't aggressive for it's own sake, it's my regular go to razor as it's aggressive enough.

It's the open comb micromatic that is just ridiculously aggressive and terrible like a red ring (eclipse?) DE if in the wrong hands.

You said the Rocket was pretty mild. Don't even know what a #16 is. You can always send me a couple and I'll try them out. You do have a spare 8 or 10?

Reminds me, need to get your others back. Haven't had a chance to post yet, still off with the kids. Full days in to bed by 9. Me, that is.

Oh, so you meant the Merkur HD? I always think classics.

No worries and no rush about the others.

I find the rockets and aristocrats very mild, which is why I said for DE I only use the NEW and the slim adjustable.

Drubbing, the micromatic clog pruf isn't aggressive for it's own sake, it's my regular go to razor as it's aggressive enough.

It's the open comb micromatic that is just ridiculously aggressive and terrible like a red ring (eclipse?) DE if in the wrong hands.

I don't find the Eclipse Red Ring all that aggressive? I love it with a Feather in it!

I don't find the Eclipse Red Ring all that aggressive? I love it with a Feather in it!
My mistake sorry, I have never used one, just from memory there's some vintage razor with notoriety of being very aggressive, I thought it was the red ring.

Substitute red ring for me with whatever really aggressive vintage non gillette razor you know of then. Ta.

edit: If we can get Drubbing onto an SE that he likes, then we can change vision collision to "Australia's Single Edge Shaving" forum.

Last edited:
......If we can get Drubbing onto an SE that he likes, then we can change vision collision to "Australia's Single Edge Shaving" forum.

I'll keep trying. As you appear to be trying other razors Drubbing, how about the Clog Pruf or if you're a good boy I'll lend you my Streamline.

My mistake sorry, I have never used one, just from memory there's some vintage razor with notoriety of being very aggressive, I thought it was the red ring.

Substitute red ring for me with whatever really aggressive vintage non gillette razor you know of then. Ta.

edit: If we can get Drubbing onto an SE that he likes, then we can change vision collision to "Australia's Single Edge Shaving" forum.

A lot of people do call them aggressive - I just don't understand why!

Hmmm, how about the 'World's leading Single Edge Shaving Forum'?

Status
Not open for further replies.