January 2012 member acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Merkur HD is a stupidly good razor. I almost wish I didn't buy it first so I could discover it instead of being a bit disappointed by all my subsequent razors.

The Merkur HD is a stupidly good razor. I almost wish I didn't buy it first so I could discover it instead of being a bit disappointed by all my subsequent razors.

But it isn't as good as a SE, sorry, I mean't vintage Gillette!

Oh God he has turned completely - there go my ebay SE bargains - could you strictly DE users please try and reconvert the man. :)

He's going through the first throes of conversion. Questioning why DEs ever became so popular. Then he'll find and shave exclusively with SEs for few months. Then try a few DEs because they're gathering dust and they look kinda nice and why not. Then swing back and forth and discover that you can buy SEs for next to nothing. Then question the prices DEs are fetching (A Tech just went for $53 on the bay if you need confirmation. Mind you, it did have a wicked cardboard box with it!). And then he'll discover that he's shaving with razors that were basically designed when King Camp Gillette was still filling his nappies and that realisation will be the final stage of his conversion. Amen. In other words, he's gone!

I'll send him some SE blades 'cause it looks like he's gonna need'm.

Last edited:
Bet your son can't wait to get another package in the mail!

I hope he hurrys up, I've got a couple of SEs as well as some brushes due - he is probably still exulting in his naming as best actor in a drama in St Louis last year, as well as best supporting actor in a different play.

Did someone say SE and Star?
0mR7W.jpg

EUOmp.jpg

rLCmj.jpg

wp00k.jpg

Not mine, my oldest is a patented 1900 GEM that takes disposable blades, not wedge blades like the pre 1900 models.

Images stolen from this thread
SMF :: View topic - Is this Part of a GEM?

but Glenn, you know what you must do with a 'star connection' in the USA...

Wow, so we've got an up and coming star in our midst. Well, his dad anyhow.

I am just waiting until he starts getting paying roles, then I can send him the 10% parenting fee for every performance. (i might even be able to up my ebay spend to $25.00 a time!)

Wow that's a stunning looking razor and the most picturesque thread derailment. Oldest safety razor I've ever seen.

Last edited:
I'm blaming you guys. I held out as long as I could, but ended up giving in to this.

It may also be due to missing out on this one recently :mad:

Good man! At this rate you'll be the safety razor emperor south of the equator. Love the look of those early lather catchers. Pablo uses them regularly I believe..

Lurking over at YKW I read some "if only I...." comments regarding the Cavelier set. Goes for a lot more normally.

Last edited:
The man's got a Clog Pruf! Well done. Run some olive oil down the centre from the top if it's a bit sticky. Works a treat.

I will remeber that tip - thanks (had to finally get a Clog Pruf after various readings on here about them) - just lucky you know who wasn't lurking on ebay at the same time!

Status
Not open for further replies.