January 2012 member acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the difference between collecting and strictly using. I've only got one collector grade razor. A brand new (not any more!) ER Streamline with all the fruit for which I did pay a double digit figure (think it was $70 odd) beating a serious SE collector in the process. There aren't many collector grade SEs you pay more for. Maybe a pristine Minute Man set, Wilkinson Sword seven day box, a few Lather catchers but that's about it I think. For a while you could pick up any pristine cased later model SE for $20. And that was on e-bay too. If you hassle a few peeps on classified sections I'm sure you still can.

That's the difference between collecting and strictly using. I've only got one collector grade razor. A brand new (not any more!) ER Streamline with all the fruit for which I did pay a double digit figure (think it was $70 odd) beating a serious SE collector in the process. There aren't many collector grade SEs you pay more for. Maybe a pristine Minute Man set, Wilkinson Sword seven day box, a few Lather catchers but that's about it I think. For a while you could pick up any pristine cased later model SE for $20. And that was on e-bay too. If you hassle a few peeps on classified sections I'm sure you still can.

I agree - I in no way see myself as a collector - more someone who indulges their pack rat mentality, or maybe Magpie might be more appropriate - "look bright shiny cheap thing". I really see myself as an acquirer, gathering what I can with limited resources, and having fun doing it. I have serious intentions of eventually using what I have bought but when is an open question.

Good man! At this rate you'll be the safety razor emperor south of the equator. Love the look of those early lather catchers. Pablo uses them regularly I believe..

Lurking over at YKW I read some "if only I...." comments regarding the Cavelier set. Goes for a lot more normally.

Whats a "Lather Catcher " please? and a cavelier set?

See post no 29 in this thread for a nice really old lather catcher. So called because of the box like structure beneath the blade holder where all the lather would collect as you shave. There's the GEM Junior bar that Mark just got. Pablos got a few too. The GEM 1912s still look a bit like that or have a similar build anyhow.

A Cavalier set is just a Gillette issue travel set. There's Khaki sets, Bulldog sets, Army issue, Navy issue sets etc etc. Candy to the collector. If you check Marks pictures of his razor collection you'll see a load of them.

There is a great picture of a Cavalier set on Mr-Razor's site here. It really is a thing of beauty and doesn't come up often.

It was one of those classic 'take a punt' eBay auctions! Poor photo, confused description, seller with no feedback. I've taken the bait on a few of those lately without success so was a little conservative here added to which B/S/T has been slow over at B&B so I've still got an Executive set sitting there unsold and with a Double Ring going up soon, if I'd had them sold it would have been mine! I was also having that battle with myself about the Christmas bills to be paid.

Of course, I'm now having that same battle about bills in relation to this Gem, that with postage works out to be $60. Do I really need it? Is it complete? Is it worth this with the paperwork? Did I pay took much on a whim?

They say you should never go into a supermarket hungry. I should never go into eBay with remorse over a missed sale!

Are there groups I can attend?

Edit: In my defence (how sad I feel I have to say this!) I am resisting this one (despite my sig) and also resisting starting to buy these sort of things.

Last edited:
Yes I do think you need help if you're branching out in to wrist watches.

No, I am resisting (how DID that get onto my watch list?)

.......Of course, I'm now having that same battle about bills in relation to this Gem, that with postage works out to be $60. Do I really need it? Is it complete? Is it worth this with the paperwork? Did I pay took much on a whim?..........

You did allright. I haven't seen many with the paperwork. The razor alone is worth $50.

Newbie, first post alert!
My initial DE purchase(s):
- Merkur 23C
- Thayers WH sample pack
- Cella shave soap
- Speick AS
- DE blade sample pack

Ordered online from Men's Biz on the Friday and received on the Tuesday. Can't complain about that for a quick turnaround!

Newbie, first post alert!
My initial DE purchase(s):
- Merkur 23C
- Thayers WH sample pack
- Cella shave soap
- Speick AS
- DE blade sample pack

Ordered online from Men's Biz on the Friday and received on the Tuesday. Can't complain about that for a quick turnaround!

Welcome!!!!!

You will find things pretty laid back here at Paste & Cut, but hopefully we are a fun bunch. Any questions just ask - looks like you have made a great start though :)

My 100 Indian Wilkinson Swords arrived today. Nothing more exciting as St Louis boy is getting slack. Gareth will get some blades and the razor off to you next week.

Wilkinson Swords?

I've seen them in Woolies and Coles for $10 for 5 blades but never could bring myself to buy them. I'm guessing these ones Glenn are different but are they any good?

In keeping wit hthis thread; I have nothing en route this month. I have over 1000 blades currently and over 7 pots of creams to use.

Plus I just got married and built a new PC so shaving bric-a-brac is low on my list. I figure I have enough to last me a while and don't need to buy anything.

Last edited:
Wilkinson Swords?

I've seen them in Woolies and Coles for $10 for 5 blades but never could bring myself to buy them. I'm guessing these ones Glenn are different but are they any good?

In keeping wit hthis thread; I have nothing en route this month. I have over 1000 blades currently and over 7 pots of creams to use.

Plus I just got married and built a new PC so shaving bric-a-brac is low on my list. I figure I have enough to last me a while and don't need to buy anything.

These are from India and I think I paid about $12.00 for 100 incl postage. Would ypou like me to flick you a pack to try?

...Plus I just got married and built a new PC so shaving bric-a-brac is low on my list. I figure I have enough to last me a while and don't need to buy anything.

1. Congrats on the married bit

2. Wash your mouth out - 'I have enough to last me a while and don't need to buy anything' - that is shaving heresy!

1. Congrats on the married bit

2. Wash your mouth out - 'I have enough to last me a while and don't need to buy anything' - that is shaving heresy!

The I have enough.....bit I find acceptable, the reference to shaving supplies as bric a brac......however is mouthwash material.

Status
Not open for further replies.