January 2015 Acquisitions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cc6RUbd.png

Finally! Took almost a month due to a Customs inspection and delay, but finally what I ordered on the last day of 2014 had arrived.

Doc today told me I have a sinus infection so after the meds kick in I'll be able to smell again. But I can pick up some scent which must mean they have decent levels of fragrance. [emoji6]

All tins are half-filled for easy loading. The soaps are very soft; softer than a croap. I'll post some thoughts and reviews on these once my nose is back in action.

Where on earth do you hear about all these soaps?
In recent months, there has been yeti snot, occams, B&M, shaver heaven, mike soaps, stirling soaps, queen charlotte soaps , caties bubbles , and whatever these are called all purchased in bulk by various members here that had seemed not to be on the horizon of anyone here previously.
Now we start letting anyone in - and you all start trying to enable us old farts to buy more shit good soaps that we really don't need in our lives.

I think you all secretly hover YKW while waiting for new posts to pop up here.

I've never heard of them before but I find out about my soaps from YouTube bloggers. I couldn't find anything at ykw if I tried. Too big and too many false opinions.

Where on earth do you hear about all these soaps?
Facebook shaving groups are now very popular. But there are also many blogs and YouTube videos of people shaving and trying new soaps. Wicked_Edge and Wet_Shavers are groups on Reddit as well.

Basically there are a lot more Gen X/Y on social media that are trying to out do each other on the latest and greatest. Some are over hyped but others deserve the praise. I think social media like Facebook promotes the latest and greatest simply because that's how it works. Whatever is the most current (and popular) appears at the top of the feed.

I think you all secretly hover YKW while waiting for new posts to pop up here.
Nah. YKW is for the oldies. Great to access for resources, but quiet as...

I've never heard of them before but I find out about my soaps from YouTube bloggers. I couldn't find anything at ykw if I tried. Too big and too many false opinions.
Dr Jon's only started in early Dec last year. So only a month or two old.

They caught my eye due to scents, marketing and they were on sale. [emoji14]

There are so many new soap makers starting out. Caties Bubbles, Dapper Dragon, Micky Lee, CRSW, and more only started last year. Even @Anthony of Shaver Heaven only started last year! The only way to get business is to promote. And the way to do that now is through social media (Facebook and YouTube especially).

@Adam , nice work - I think you're the debut owner of any Soap Commander products - so well done! Interested to hear your thoughts.
@MrT has some as well (the lime scent and samples). [emoji6] I even got some of the peppermint and lavender to try- it smells terrific!

Yep, I've got some. I purchased the lime ("respect"), and got a couple of samples. As @filobiblic said, the peppermint and lavendar ("wisdom") smells amazing. I will probably purchase a full tub soon enough.

Yep, I've got some. I purchased the lime ("respect"), and got a couple of samples. As @filobiblic said, the peppermint and lavendar ("wisdom") smells amazing. I will probably purchase a full tub soon enough.
MrT got some respect! He's the man!

Reactions: MrT
Just a pity he had to purchase it :(

@stillshunter I am happy to say i will join the sabbatical. I have my wedding on the 10/10/15 so more saving is required.

I will make 1 exception only and that will be for Yeti snot if i can manage to get some. (at $7 it wont break the bank anyway).

Also stills - i had possibly the worst shave ever with the fatip this morning. It was a tug fest that i persisted with but damn that was uncomfortable. I used a lab blue that had done 1 shave in my EJDE89 and transferred it to this, so i know the blade was ok....

@Adam sometimes you find certain blade / razor combinations just don't work.
I used to love Voskhods, but now find they only work well in really mild razors like the EJ89.

Ok i wont be trying that combo again. Speaking of Voshkod blades my partner just sent me a picture message of a package arrived at her work. I got 200 blades for some crazy price ( i think it was $15 posted). I almost thought it was a joke, but it seems they are here.

Can Fatip owners or those in the know comment. If i got a nikel version of the razor (only as it was cheaper) in the picture the nikel version head was a gold colour. Now the version i have is a full silver version. So do i haev a nikel version, or would i have the standard version? The box does say its the nikel version but obviosly the picture on maggards site is making me wonder.

Nickel is a silver colour, but just sometimes looks a bit goldish in certain lighting situations, or depending on what it is coating or what it is mixed with. I would say it was just the lighting or the camera settings... Our 'silver' coins in Australia are a nickel mix.

From wiki:
"It is a silvery-white lustrous metal with a slight golden tinge."

Out of interest, did you use a mail forwarder for your delivery?

I haven't used a mail forwarder before. It's a long enough wait for usps and Aus post. I don't want to wait another 3 weeks for a freight forwarder to save a few dollars.

Also stills - i had possibly the worst shave ever with the fatip this morning. It was a tug fest that i persisted with but damn that was uncomfortable. I used a lab blue that had done 1 shave in my EJDE89 and transferred it to this, so i know the blade was ok....
Yours looks the same as mine mate - and mine's nickel.

Sorry to hear that mate. Tugging is my least favoured shaving sensation. I reckon it might the blade/razor combo. I found the Fatip didn't work so well with the IP Reds (so assume other Personnas might be the same?). Found sharp is best loaded here. Best shave with the Schick Plus Platinum vintage - have you got one handy? Also Gillette Indian Blacks and Permasharps (I think) did a nice job. I'll shave tomorrow with the Fatip and something like the Feather and let you know.

Soaps look great Phil, look forward to hearing your experience. Great graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.