January 2017 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange, i use photobucket and the image link in the main menu for all the photos i share on this forum, is it just this thread or in the SOTD section as well?

I've just noticed it here.

Morning mail call from @shavetheman . A nice scent off the puck, development of an Acqua Di Gio companion by APR has been underway for some time now ;)

Excellent scent and post shave feel from the SV soaps, had some issues with this balm, (as have others) it turned jelly like in the bottle........ still works and smells just fine though.

Yes, it is stocked in a few places. Otoko Organics website lists The Razor Shop as an online vendor. That is where I bought it from.

It is a green black colour, and smells vaguely of apples when you lather. Odd.

I lather up on my face - lathering was a 20 - 30 second affair. The lather colour was the same as usual - white.

One thing I have noticed on the two occasions I have used it, is that It does tend to dry on the face quite quickly - my usual routine is to face lather, and then load the razor with a blade, fluff around abit and then start shaving. With most shave creams/soaps my experience is this delay helps the lather to further soften the whiskers. I found this morning that by the time I had got around to my first pass, the lather had dried a little on the face, necessitating another few quick wipes around. No big deal but interesting. The Aqua di Parma does it as well, but nothing like this product. By contrast you could leave on something like eg TOBS for a good 5 minutes, and still get a decent shave I reckon.

Glide and cushion are exceptional. This morning gave me one of the most comfortable shaves I have ever had, with no burn or irritation - something that was welcome given the high alcohol content in the Australian Private Reserve Aftershave I splashed about. Boy that stuff wakes you up.

Strange, i use photobucket and the image link in the main menu for all the photos i share on this forum, is it just this thread or in the SOTD section as well?
Photobucket seems to cause problems on this forum, alfredus was having the same issue with his photobucket images.

OT:- If you're using Firefox with Adguard and NoScript make sure you accept both photobucket.com & i379.photobucket.com that way you can see the images (y) it took me while to find the glitch because photobucket has another site address i379.photobucket.com which I cannot understand why?

I should mention, I joined imgur (free) as the imgur community is full of kids and they kept tagging my brushes as buttplugs, so I make them private now as it became irritating :D
Well, as they say anything is a butt-plug, if brave enough...
No, no I'm not!

Finally arrived, after 22 days being lost in the matrix that is the postal service.
aus%20set.jpg

Aristocrat #15 closed comb, rumour has it these were for the Australian market, and Gillette used the #21 rather than the usual #15 open comb. Either way, it was a great shave and performed really well on its maiden voyage tonight.

I think i'm done with collecting the aristocrats, family pic from front to back: #66 Rh, #16 Rh, 1934 pre #15 OC in silver plate and the 15/21 at the rear (still not sure what the plating on it is)
IMG_20170130_131934769.jpg
Really nice collection @Alba65 !! I love my OC Aristocrat - even though a bit of plate loss its probably my favourite vintage razor !

(y) Will have a look for an alternative, what are others using?

I can see your pics on my phone using Tapatalk - very nice !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice collection @Alba65 !! I love my OC Aristocrat - even though a bit of plate loss its probably my favourite vintage razor ! /QUOTE]

Mine suffers of the same, some flea bites and wearing thin on the edge of the combs. Still, can't really expect much more considering their age...... its gained history more than lost plate (y). Couldn't use the #15 OC or the #16 everyday, but i think i'd get away with the #15 / #66. Open comb is the most classy looking in my opinion.

Hmm, just a few items.
A Dulev SPUD.
A Mason Pearson brush.
A vintage (very likely Simpsons made) Geo F Trumper of Curzon St ( that will indicate timeframe for some here) brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.