January 2018 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I have seen, I use the IOS browser and have no trouble size wise.
I can advise that if it is an unacceptable size people here will mock and hurt your feelings publicly and that’s the best way to know.

That's it in a nutshell although I mostly just put repeat offenders onto my forum 'ignore list' so I don't see anything they post. I just get sick of having to scroll through 2 page images particularly in the SOTD posts.

Ya don’t get that at badger and blade, just sayn.

They are all 'Gentlemen' over there, and the forum software probably forces resize irrespective of posted image size.

With the ease of image resizing these days, all that I and other people are asking is that people take into consideration other peoples viewing and data experience and take a few seconds to resize images using one of the readily available image resizing tools.

I have to say I have no trouble with anyone's image sizes on my tablet or phone and didn't realise it was a big issue. I have been posting from FB and if there has been a problem with sizes I apologise, they do seem to vary in size for no apparent reason. I will start to use imgur in the future

I have to say I have no trouble with anyone's image sizes on my tablet or phone and didn't realise it was a big issue. I have been posting from FB and if there has been a problem with sizes I apologise, they do seem to vary in size for no apparent reason. I will start to use imgur in the future
I analyse this kind of stuff for a living. So, I am somewhat hyperaware of it.
The easiest way to see if an image is going to be a problem is to download it and look at its size (MB) and dimensions (width x height).

No one needs to be offended. All that has been highlighted is that these choices have effects on other's experiences.
It's not the end of the world. The sun is shining. The birds are singing. It's not so bad.

I have no issue with image size.

What I can't stand, on any forum, is when people quote a bunch of posts with pics (e.g. sotd forum) and I end up browsing a couple of pages of repeats.

I never have issues with slow loading or images taking too much data as my browser on my Samsung phone resizes the image automatically.

All those having issues should get software which has this capability...or a better internet plan.

@nav1, like I said, I use the Chrome browser on both mobile and desktop.

The issue, at least in the case you describe, is not with the software, nor the hardware, but actually the forum itself.
Putting my technical hat on, the issue is likely in the media-queries that specify the styling based on the output terminal... In English, it just means the forum plays nicer on mobile than it does on desktop. The browser WILL act differently depending on the type of screen it is being displayed on.
Extra trivia for nerds: Printers are included in this case.

That said, saying "get a better internet plan" it not reasonable. I shouldn't have to explain why.

Let's please not forget that people aren't just being difficult... They are just voicing their experiences.
We can choose to participate in that discussion, or not. No judgement either way.
This is a forum, after all. And that is what forums are for.

Buuut... I much prefer to have these technical discussions in person as it's much easier when I can just show you - and then share a beer. :)

- El' Cheeko Monké

I got distracted the other day and forgot to mention..... Red Lead and a lovely freebie aftershave sample from @SchoolForAnts arrived in the mail (still waiting on shed loads of super slow eBay purchases :( )

It took several PM's to discover what the sample was.... sorry Andy!

(Note to self: check the back of the business card next time....)

@nav1, like I said, I use the Chrome browser on both mobile and desktop.

The issue, at least in the case you describe, is not with the software, nor the hardware, but actually the forum itself.
Putting my technical hat on, the issue is likely in the media-queries that specify the styling based on the output terminal... In English, it just means the forum plays nicer on mobile than it does on desktop. The browser WILL act differently depending on the type of screen it is being displayed on.
Extra trivia for nerds: Printers are included in this case.

That said, saying "get a better internet plan" it not reasonable. I shouldn't have to explain why.

Let's please not forget that people aren't just being difficult... They are just voicing their experiences.
We can choose to participate in that discussion, or not. No judgement either way.
This is a forum, after all. And that is what forums are for.

Buuut... I much prefer to have these technical discussions in person as it's much easier when I can just show you - and then share a beer. :)

- El' Cheeko Monké

I do take your point but you know, internet is so cheap and unlimited, I don't believe it should be an issue...especially for us blokes who are ok to spend $30+ on soap!

Also, it's fine to request, in general, that people resize but to ask someone directly and that too in a taunt, is not acceptable.

This behavior has worsened on p&c in recent months and I agree with @Ferret619 that this behavior is not experienced on those very forums which are discussed in p&c as not being gentlemanly or unnecessarily formal etc, reeks of hypocrisy.

Taunting, trolling and generally not gentlemanly behavior is becoming the norm on p&c lately, under the guise of "we are easy going Aussie blokes". Well, easy going doesn't mean taunting and rude.

This is not aimed at you directly and whilst you may know the technical aspects of media queries etc, in the end, either the forum should accommodate the technicalities or you could adjust your usage of the forum instead of expecting others to accommodate to you.

It's as easy as browsing on your phone. If you prefer your desktop, no one is stopping you.

@lerenau & @nav1 agree with both of you. Been at fault for placing large images up and for mocking which some may construe as trolling or bullying. Yes it is an Australian thing to mock but not belittle or offend which can be a fine line unfortunately, especially in a texted based context.
It is always good to be reminded indirectly that sometimes we offend and annoy to which I will take note of myself.

End of day both issues can be managed by the Administrators either by policing these problems and/or using software controls.

Guys @todras and I are just fukn around, it’s all good really.* Pretty sure*
we have just identified that there is an issue between browsers, everyone be respectful and just flick people a PM of their pics are too big as they may well not know, I sure didn’t.

And I have an awesome pangolin.

Last edited:
and I hate you for that!!
I will wait a few months before you fail the sabbatical and then I will give you a change to get some soap / good stuff traded by the pangolin :sneaky::whistle:
Know the best thing about it?
Dispite it’s small actual physical size it photographs life size!
Not a feature you get from many items.

RqeF52W.jpg

One of the Xerjoff in today. This one is Renaissance, it’s an old style presentation so was offered for £70 instead of £170, bargain.

2nK8k1I.jpg

Also a bottle of Mancera Black to Black.

Is everyone tired?

Life is full of trials and tribulations worth getting upset over. Getting told to resize some bloody images ffs isn’t one of them.
you can’t tell me what to be upset about!
Just you wait, I’ll log my hurt feelings report, then we will see what’s what.

In all seriousness I think there may have been some history to that which I accidentally tapped into?
Anyway life moves on.

And something I couldn't resist myself........................................

A UFO Tornado handle in 316L stainless steel. And many thanks to @ben74 for dropping it off personally and throwing in some freebee's. As usual, a 2 min drop-off at the doorstep turned into an hour long discussion on various shaving topics :D.

And I have an awesome pangolin
I'm going to find a pattern and start mass producing them to drive the value down. And then release 5 in a special never to be repeated unobtainium colour/material.

Yes I have, well my son has, a 3d printer.

I've been thinking about printing a razor, does that break the sabbatical?

Status
Not open for further replies.