January 2018 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha, no! I think if I did that it would stay in parts. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Haha honestly is you can put your pants on by yourself you can pull apart a razor.
That said the adjustables are a tad more complex and a feeler gauge is needed to be 100% accurate.

Haha honestly is you can put your pants on by yourself you can pull apart a razor.
That said the adjustables are a tad more complex and a feeler gauge is needed to be 100% accurate.
Pants. By myself! Are you crazy? I do however brush my own teeth so perhaps a soak and brush will do for a start.

Tempted to come out of retirement heheheheheehe she would scrub like a diamond stripped cleaned and polished by hand
I'll post a pic after I soak and toothbrush so you can see what it looks like. I can see you're itching to come out of retirement.

@58FB did you do plating too?
I’m looking at my red ring and it could do with a replate, I’d rather keep it in Aus if I can..

A mate at work deals in a lot of antiques.
He knows I am into DE shaving and today showed me a little treasure he found on the weekend.

0zBZznwl.jpg

I think it's a "Gem Eveready 1912". But I've never actually seen a Gem in person before. So, I can't be sure.
It says something like "patent 1912" on the collar.

Besides a bit of wear on the chrome it looks like it has barely been used.

Can anyone positively identify it?
Any idea what it's worth? Now that I've seen it in the flesh, I wouldn't mind one myself... :whistle:

He only paid $5 for it... It's a steal no matter what it is.

Note: The handle is beautiful!

I think it's a "Gem Eveready 1912

You are on the right track. Looks to me to be A Gem 1912 or an Ever Ready 1912. The GEM is made in the USA and the Ever Ready in England. You will be able to tell by the engraving inside the head of the razor and on the rear of the razor head. I have an Ever Ready 1912 - the inside of the razor reads "Ever-Ready British Made" and the rear of the razor head reads "Made in England".
I am currently using my Ever Ready - see here https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/shave-of-the-day-thread-2018.4560/page-30#post-117887
They are great razors - the blades are very rigid, hence no blade chatter. You need to shave with a relatively shallow angle i.e. blade almost parallel with skin. I'd rate it as mid-aggressive, but certainly nothing to be afraid of. I am really enjoying it.

He knows I am into DE shaving and today showed me a little treasure he found on the weekend.

0zBZznwl.jpg

I think it's a "Gem Eveready 1912". But I've never actually seen a Gem in person before. So, I can't be sure.

Any idea what it's worth? Now that I've seen it in the flesh, I wouldn't mind one myself... :whistle:

Do it! They are a great shave!
You can try mine if you would like

0zBZznwl.jpg

Nice!

If you don't have any blades for it let me know and I will drop some over!

Status
Not open for further replies.