Jugs' multi-watch voyage of discovery

JugV2

Simply boring.
I bought my first ever watch recently. Never owned one before.

So I thought maybe buy a cheapie to see if i actually want a watch or not.

In the end I bought three.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHARK-Du...rg=20140107090050&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=281295753928
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151227212681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Prom...h-For-Men-Jewelry-Watches-Best/986474297.html

I know they are cheap and nasty but this is just to see what type I like and how they feel without breaking the bank...that comes later.

I know they are cheap and nasty but this is just to see what type I like and how they feel without breaking the bank...that comes later.

That second one..... :confused:

I need to find and install more smileys, the above one does not nearly convey they fact I am almost throwing up, something I haven't done since I was 11

The first one isn't pretending, it is what it is. Which is a thirty buck watch you can get anywhere.

That last one.... not my cup of tea but at least it is different!

I would have suggested a Vostok like mine, or something like a Seiko 5 from one of the Asian resellers (Watches88, Creationwatches, Skywatches). This one would be ideal. Automatic, not expensive, still very cheap. Probably would have been cheaper than all three you bought too ;)

Hey the second one glows in the dark!! I didn't think it looked that bad - yeah the glowing picture looks bad but it's a nice clean face.

Anyway like I said, it's just a bit of an experiment. So far I've go the red/black one on and it feels ok, I like the red face to be honest.

I may end up with a Vostok, yours looks nice but I think I like the bigger face, and a 24mm band suits my wrist.

I appreciate the constructive criticism, and I am glad you didn't quite chuck.

Jugs got a new AD, Jugs got a new AD. Only someone from this forum would find it completely normal, wishing to buy a watch would purchase 3 at a time. I predict this will be closely followed by another 2 cheapys then an expensive one, and another and another ad infinitum. :)

Hey the second one glows in the dark!! I didn't think it looked that bad - yeah the glowing picture looks bad but it's a nice clean face.

It's more to do with the alignment of it - the dot lume markers are off-point, and the hands are clumsy to say the least. It looks really cheap mainly due to the lume being extremely uneven and low quality. Maybe your example will be better than the one photographed in the eBay item.

That said the other two look alright for cheapies. I don't go much for quartz though, and I think once you have a inexpensive yet reliable automatic like the Seiko 5 or one of the Vostoks..... well you will be feeling the same way.

There's some manual wind Vostoks which sell at under $50 delivered. But you have to wind them every day. Auto's wind themselves as long as you wear them once every 2-3 days.

Just been looking at some of the watches on those sites you mentioned @Monsta_AU

I don't think there's any danger of me buying expensive watches - $600 for a watch? yeah right.

I just wouldn't appreciate them. I'd rather spend $500 on a matched set of Zildjian brass or something I would actually use regularly.

I don't think there's any danger of me buying expensive watches - $600 for a watch? yeah right.

I'm confused. I never linked anything above $100. For sure there are more expensive watches on those sites, but I cannot be responsible for your web wanderings now, can I???

You can get plenty of quality and value for under $150. Orient make some nice models under that mark, and Seiko have tons. One thing I have found about watches - there's one for every budget.

The entire point I was trying to make is there a massive difference between a $20-$30 eBay Quartz watch compared to a Russian or Japanese Automatic.

Yeah I realise what you were saying, and you did link to sub- $100 watches.
What I'm saying is that I see watches for up around $500 - $600 and I can't fathom someone spending that much on a single watch, even though I know they do quite commonly.
I know the ones I bought are massively different to the decent Seiko or even Casio watches around but I was impulsive, and I didn't know if I really fancy a watch or not...turns out I quite like the appearance of a watch on my wrist and now that winter is coming (no GOT reference intended) I will be suiting up again and a nice watch compliments it well.

UPDATE:

the red face watch has issues keeping accurate time. I need to wind it (as per instructions) 25 times each morning. So far it has dropped the time and date every day since I have owned it.
I kind of expected this from a $15 watch. No big deal, it's more about the feel and size of the watch on my wrist at this stage.

Last edited:
I also have found I have a big fat wrist. Total wrist is 230mm. Most watches standard seem to be 170mm. So I have ordered an oversize band which should suit the three watches I have bought, as they are all 24mm width.

To be honest, $500-$600 is very mid-range. Most of the watchfreeks say that $1K is the big barrier to most people. But you can get some very good watches for that money, or even less. To put it into perspective, many people spend about $1K on a new laptop every couple of years and that is basically a disposable item!

With the more expensive watches, it is all about the design, the finish, the materials, and the quality of construction. Many of the $10K watches will use the same movements as you get in the $1k-$2K class. I see the top houses producing $10K quartz-powered watches in which case it is all about the brand and look as opposed the to the beauty/engineering of the movement. Again, it is filling a need in the market - some people just want a beautiful, name brand watch but don't want an Auto or mechanical. So they get a quartz and have the battery changed ever two years.

Some guys love the dress it up / dress it down capability of many watches by changing the strap. I see a $5K Omega Speedmaster or Seamaster on a 'NATO' style nylon strap and it looks very relaxed. Change it to a thick leather strap and it is stylish. Put the Metal bracelet on and it looks expensive! But it is a $5K watch, and you wouldn't want to buy a second one to have a different look.

By all means, use the cheapies you have and don't feel bad about killing them. Sounds like the experiment has been a success, and you will be looking for something 'better' in the near future. You can always ask for suggestions, but I think if you just go to one of those three sites and look for the <$200 range you will find one for every occasion. The Orient Mako's are amazing value for money but come in a bit higher than $150.

Can we retitle this thread to Jugs' multi-watch beat down? :D

No need, really. it's just an experiment in watches and fashion, seeing if I like the feel of it or not.

I probably will buy a more expensive one in the future but for now, I want to get a feel for what type and size watch I like.

So the second watch I bought has arrived. This one is the AK Homme green/glowy one that @Monsta_AU felt ill from.
As I have big wrists, I needed to order a bigger band. I chose this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11108685...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Fitted the watch to it and it feels pretty nice on the wrist. Despite the public outcry from the watch purists, I quite like it.
I have one more watch en route, the big Shark chronograph type thingy. I hope it turns up soon so I can give it a burl.