July 2019 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

A thank you to @Rabid Badger on P&C. Timeless 0.38 Bronze with a scalloped top-cap.

Beautifully finished, the handle screws onto the baseplate with absolute perfect precision and feedback. Lovely weight, not sure if I will keep it polished or patina in the future. Might see if I can spray some car nano-sealant on it and stop the patina.

The shave? Paired to Astra (2nd shave) and smooth, smooth and smooth. Not as close or efficient as the Timeless 0.95 SB. Could perhaps almost compare to the 0.68 or somewhere in between. Angle very easy to find, slightly shallow. Don't go too deep. I forgot this was a 'first shave' and should have known better. Lost my attention doing a much too fast cross-chin shave and promptly the razor bites! So not quite as 'beginner friendly' as say a Rockwell 6S on R2/3.

Minimal irritation otherwise.

I like it. More so than the Rockwell... don't think I will keep the Rockwell at all. You could happily shave with this if you preferred razors a moderate razor. I feel it isn't as gentle as the blade gap suggests, perhaps due to the angle and exposure... YMMV.

RustyBlade

2018 Sabbatical

A thank you to @Rabid Badger on P&C. Timeless 0.38 Bronze with a scalloped top-cap.

Beautifully finished, the handle screws onto the baseplate with absolute perfect precision and feedback. Lovely weight, not sure if I will keep it polished or patina in the future. Might see if I can spray some car nano-sealant on it and stop the patina.

The shave? Paired to Astra (2nd shave) and smooth, smooth and smooth. Not as close or efficient as the Timeless 0.95 SB. Could perhaps almost compare to the 0.68 or somewhere in between. Angle very easy to find, slightly shallow. Don't go too deep. I forgot this was a 'first shave' and should have known better. Lost my attention doing a much too fast cross-chin shave and promptly the razor bites! So not quite as 'beginner friendly' as say a Rockwell 6S on R2/3.

I like it. More so than the Rockwell... don't think I will keep the Rockwell at all. You could happily shave with this if you preferred razors a moderate razor. I feel it isn't as gentle as the blade gap suggests, perhaps due to the angle and exposure... YMMV.
Congratulations, lovely razor and it seems you found something you really like. Quite magically sometimes when you score during that just works for you.
Personally like them shiny so voting for no patina :D

Very nice @Kevy - congratulations!

Rabid Badger

2018 Charity Auction Winner
Picked this up in the local antique store yesterday. All of $10. I think that it is a 1960s Gillette tech travel edition. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me with antique razors could help me out. It polished up beautifully. I think that it is Aluminium. The handle is way too small for my liking, but I tried the head with some other handles and they all fit really well. Happy days.

alfredus

organises many group buys
Staff member
State Convenor - SA
Grand Society
Group Buy Caporegime
Charity Auction Team
Not sure if I've ever seen this case with it, and definitely never have seen a bottle opener with it...

Great find for 10$ (y)

Picked this up in the local antique store yesterday. All of $10. I think that it is a 1960s Gillette tech travel edition. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me with antique razors could help me out. It polished up beautifully. I think that it is Aluminium. The handle is way too small for my liking, but I tried the head with some other handles and they all fit really well. Happy days.

It would be great if it could tell its story
What a great find mate good on you
Paul

Last edited: