June 2011 Member Aquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
It's winter.... what have you got coming in?

Only a small samples of creams and soaps inbound to me.

Not much. Just scored 500G of Cella. Got a birth year razor on the way. I will be placing an order for some creams in the next week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately my Arko appears to have skipped May completely, this is my first ever lost item in over 12 years international shopping. I have an E1 Injector coming from England due soon.

What looks like a brand new cased Feather Weight (a single edge razor for the uninitiated) for all of 0.99 GBP. Of course shipping was 5.99 GBP but let's not split hairs. Hoping that one doesn't get lost.

That's a complete bummer veteran. I once, which was then my first ever e-bay buy, had something go missing and never went near e-bay for two years thereafter.

I think I'll wait until June 2012. :embarrest:

I've had over a 30 shaving related ebay buys go well, and only 2 go sour/missing. In saying that I have about total ~180 buys all up on ebay including other things and never a problem except 2 razors.

Last edited:
There is the rub, the Arko was coming direct from Tulumba in NYC. They have been great but have not offered as yet to replace. This was $5 worth of soap and $5 postage deal so it`s no biggy but I wanted to try Arko. I`ll try to source it or some Erasmic from the UK when I order from over there again.

Was the Arko the stick or one of the tubes?

If you want the stick, get it from BestShave when you order your next lot of Astra SP. He does 6 for USD$15 or 12 for USD$24. Surely you WA blokes could grab a couple each and kill a dozen easily.

Picked up a hundy pack of feathers from Dridiot. Sorted for a while now me thinks.

Although i am tempted to change soaps from Proraso for the winter. Dont feel the need for that cooling shave now its damn cold...

A nice TOBS sandalwood or a bay rum would be a good winter soap.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Flying Wing SE. Why it's so called I have no idea. But it's a Micromatic, an SE TTO. From the US, which is a first for me.

Antique Gem TTO Single Edge Razor with Torpedo Knob (eBay item 260792766718 end time 02-Jun-11 08:57:29 AEST) : Collectibles

And I scored a NIB Push Button, yet another SE. This one from Australia. It was somehow buried in amongst vintage gem jewelry rather than vintage gem razors. Got lucky and just paid the starting price.

Gem Vintage Push Button Shaver - Still sealed in box (eBay item 260790821889 end time 05-Jun-11 21:10:00 AEST) : Collectables

Got some Semogue 830s on the way!
1 for my Dad, 1 for me, 1 for the bro.

Finally get to give a Semogue a go!

And they arrived!
(5 day post from shaving.ie - pretty good!)

Out of the box I can see the Semogue is quite different to what I'm use to (Shavemac 177). The 830 has a lot more backbone than the 177, and the bloom is less (not sure if that's the right word - the diameter at the head).

Looking forwards to giving it a whirl tomorrow morning!

Half a litre of Pinaud Clubman AS. I've no idea if it's any good, but at $8 or so it's worth a punt. Supposedly a good choice for those who like Proraso.

And they arrived!
(5 day post from shaving.ie - pretty good!)

Out of the box I can see the Semogue is quite different to what I'm use to (Shavemac 177). The 830 has a lot more backbone than the 177, and the bloom is less (not sure if that's the right word - the diameter at the head).

I can see you've been "Semoqued". Never tried one myself inspite of being a big boar fan. It's just that I buy these el-cheapo boar brushes which start out really rough and gradually turn in to beautifully soft brushes. Bought a Vulfix 28 recently. Cheap as hell, nice solid handle and I thought it was worth a punt. It's not made anymore and I ended up buying the last one in stock at the Superior Shave. After the first couple of uses I considered sending it to Drubbing for another dripping with sarcasm review but decided to persist. Inspite of initially attempting to strip several layers of skin every time it got used it's a fantastic brush now. Without doubt it's got lots of trimmed bristle on top but they're gradually softening up.

........The 830 has a lot more backbone than the 177, and the bloom is less (not sure if that's the right word - the diameter at the head)........

The bloom is the way a badger knot fans out after it's first use. It's not really a big deal with boars as they just tend to just look bedraggled and when dry revert back to what they looked like before being used. The diameter at the base is more important.

they just tend to just look bedraggled and when dry revert back to what they looked like before being used.

Now that you mention it, you're 100% right mate. My 830 looks shocking when wet, all over the place.

I can see you've been "Semoqued". Never tried one myself inspite of being a big boar fan. It's just that I buy these el-cheapo boar brushes which start out really rough and gradually turn in to beautifully soft brushes.
The 1305 did that, difficult to start with, even worse with that dye they use that just runs. But is the softest boar brush I own, but has 'backbone' and can hold lather.

The kent boar that RM went on about (with that kent soap for $20), even though it's a shedder, a very very bad shedder, did that too. If it didn't lose so many bristles, it was a decent boar brush that gets better and softer but still good to shave with. Such a shame though, the bristle is good and with better glue or something, would be a very very good cheap boar brush. The bristle was better than anything I have ever used in a cheap brush.

The SOC I can't explain, to me it is my most stiffest and scrubbiest brush, it's as tough as, yet drubbing had the opposite, maybe he got a dud, or maybe I got lucky.
It's not overly stiff, it is exactly what I wanted when I bought a semogue. No dodgey black dye, broke in quickly, never gone floppy, holds heaps of lather (more than the 1305), does everything right.

The SOC I can't explain, to me it is my most stiffest and scrubbiest brush, it's as tough as, yet drubbing had the opposite, maybe he got a dud, or maybe I got lucky.
It's not overly stiff, it is exactly what I wanted when I bought a semogue. No dodgey black dye, broke in quickly, never gone floppy, holds heaps of lather (more than the 1305), does everything right.

I was really impressed with the SOC for the first 6 weeks or so. Made great lather and was nice to use. Then it just noodled out, it became a huge mop. I'm sure it would still be considered a good brush, but I wanted it to stay firmer, it was too big for me when it softened. Maybe I did get a poor example.

Possibly, I've had mine for a couple of months, long enough for the 1305 I bought at the same time to become soft.
The SOC broke in sooner, is used more, but is still really firm and scrubby.

Kinda underwhelming.
Gave it a good rinse. Broke out the MWF and just couldn't make it work with the 830. Just not there. Switched back to the Shavemac and no problem.

Probably one of the worst soaps to start with, but I think the backbone of the 830 doesn't work for me with MWF. Will switch to another soap/cream tomorrow and try again.

Although I definitely need to alter my technique. With the Shavemac I rely on the soft/bloom, and push right up on my face to spread it all apart. I'm not quite sure that's possible with the 830. Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.