June 2011 Member Aquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first couple of uses with any brush for me have been pretty much underwhelming. Even if you can't notice it there's a fair amount of gunk in the brush. With a boar it takes half a dozen uses at least. Not just a rinse but you need to go through the whole cycle of loading, rinsing and drying. The boar backbone should be better on MWF than with any other soap I know of. It's a really hard soap. Mind you even using it for face lathering, I'd probably head for a cream rather than MWF for a new brush.

Last edited:
Kinda underwhelming.
Gave it a good rinse. Broke out the MWF and just couldn't make it work with the 830. Just not there. Switched back to the Shavemac and no problem.

Probably one of the worst soaps to start with, but I think the backbone of the 830 doesn't work for me with MWF. Will switch to another soap/cream tomorrow and try again.

Although I definitely need to alter my technique. With the Shavemac I rely on the soft/bloom, and push right up on my face to spread it all apart. I'm not quite sure that's possible with the 830. Anyone?

Wot Pj said. Also, have you seen this? It was written pretty much for the 830.

http://www.paste-and-cut.com.au/f15/breaking-boar;-quick-guide-sort-81/

I can't make MWF work well with anything anyway, but I'd also suggest using cream with the 830 for a bit.

A blade sampler snuck in at the beginning of the month. Will likely pick up another couple of tubes of Godrej before the month is out.

Eyeing up an omega boar to partner my 830. The cold weather isn't giving the big Semogue enough time to dry properly between shaves now.

Just picked up 50 Treets and a tube of Ice shower gel very cheaply from Connaughts eBay shop. Two quid for fifty blades. Nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Flying Wing SE. Why it's so called I have no idea. But it's a Micromatic, an SE TTO. From the US, which is a first for me.

Antique Gem TTO Single Edge Razor with Torpedo Knob (eBay item 260792766718 end time 02-Jun-11 08:57:29 AEST) : Collectibles

And I scored a NIB Push Button, yet another SE. This one from Australia. It was somehow buried in amongst vintage gem jewelry rather than vintage gem razors. Got lucky and just paid the starting price.

Gem Vintage Push Button Shaver - Still sealed in box (eBay item 260790821889 end time 05-Jun-11 21:10:00 AEST) : Collectables

Didn't notice this post before, so you bought a 'bullet tip' Micromatic? Never used one but it's supposed to be the mildest MM. I know it's the newest MM, and I've heard some versions be called the 'magic eye'.
Interested in what it ends up being, and what you think of it.

Didn't notice this post before, so you bought a 'bullet tip' Micromatic? Never used one but it's supposed to be the mildest MM. I know it's the newest MM, and I've heard some versions be called the 'magic eye'.
Interested in what it ends up being, and what you think of it.

Yes it ended up being a guiding eye version. Couldn't tell from the e-bay pictures and the seller didn't know either. It's very niice razor and I'm not sure how mild it is yet. I'd say, inspite of the seemingly identical head to the Feather Weight, that it's more agressive. It's a lot heavier. Heavier than the Clog Pruf and Open Comb. However I'm having a bad week with SEs. Tried a vintage blade which came with the Push Button and my face hasn't been the same since. How the f... people ever shaved with carbon steel blades is beyond me. I know it being a fifty year old blade didn't help but still. I should try skipping a day but I've got so many nice new SE razors I want to use and now that I'm DEing again too..... It's just too much for a poor simple soul like me.

Chr.st Pete, 50 y/o carbon? Got to respect a bloke willing to shed a little Claret or skin in the name of SE research. Let us know how it goes with a SS Gem.

Yep. I guess I should have honed it. Not that I know how but just saying. GEM Duridium. Nice looking blades. Obviously the edge had oxydised without looking like it. But I've still got the original ASR dispenser. And a rough face to prove it. Actually, I'm finding DE shaving alomost soothing at the moment. I had an SE routine going which was down to perfection and it's been disturbed by this little bakelite DE which is in fact pretty ugly but I like it. I made the stupid error of changing blade (a buggered 50yr old carbon steel torture device) and razor (GEM Push Button) at the same time. Just got carried away. Daft! I'll get back on the SE band wagon and give the Flying Wing and Push Button a fair go. Both are meant to be mild.

Last edited:
Those duridium blades do like nice I agree, I liked the markings on them.
Brittle as hell though, easy to snap.

Quick summary of what's in transit:

1974 SS Gillette
Kappus Mens Shave Cream x 1
Erasmic Lather Shave Cream x 6
Astra Platinum x 25
Treet Durasharp Carbon x 50
ICE Cool shower gel (for $3 why not)

Apart from the Gillette razor, I got the rest from Connaught's eBay store for around $18.

Not really anything else I need at the moment, and I have to stop prowling eBay looking for shaving gear I don't need.

The Erasmic has a good name.

I've been on the Astra SP's for a week, great blades. I have a tonne of them... 500-600 or so. No real idea anymore.

Hehe, had a bit of a buying 'splurge' tonight. I like my Feather blades, but I'm curious to see if I can find something that feels a little smoother in the day after shaving. I'd like to think my technique is good enough, I certainly don't get any (or very rarely now) cuts... just feeling a bit raw the days after, even with a good lather and balm. Might be thanks to winter or something.

I've been curious of the Gillette range for a bit, so I've got a bunch of 'em on the way:

- 100x 365 Stainless
- 70 7 o'clock Super Platinum
- 50 7 o'clock PermaSharp
- 60 7 o'clock Sharp Edge

Shiiiit, that's a lot of blades when listed like that, hahaha. :eek:mg:

I love the super plats. Responsive, sharp enough and no rawness the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been curious of the Gillette range for a bit, so I've got a bunch of 'em on the way:
If you were that curious, I would have thrown a pack of each in the post for you.

- 100x 365 Stainless
Certainly a lower price-point blade, but goes okay. Not particularly smooth, some roughness I found. Otherwise it performs well for the price.

- 70 7 o'clock Super Platinum
AKA the 7OC Black. Enjoy these but I find my skin/beard strips the PFTE off them too fast. End of the 3rd shave is starting to get iffy if I go 3 passes.

- 50 7 o'clock PermaSharp
AKA Indian Greens. These hold an edge for a while, got 4 good shaves out of mine, the 5th was a bit past it to be honest. Neutral blade but they feel sharp on the skin.

- 60 7 o'clock Sharp Edge
AKA Yellows. I find that after a few blades, I can start to get some sensitivity to them and I get irritation. Maybe I am pushing them too far. Usually 3 good shaves, I try to get 4 out of them though.

Shiiiit, that's a lot of blades when listed like that, hahaha. :eek:mg:
Bloody Amateurs! I bought two separate lots of 280x Blacks..... :eek:mg:

I love the super plats. Responsive, sharp enough and no rawness the next day.
I found that the coating was a little to easy to let go of the edge. Still a good blade, but the first shave was always the best.

If you were that curious, I would have thrown a pack of each in the post for you.
Haha, I did contemplate posting in here for opinions and to see if anyone had some, though I've had a pretty stagnant period for purchasing shaving equipment, so I just thought "meh" and pulled out the credit card. Cheers for the offer though :)

Pending reply from Goodfella in his welcome thread my next purchase will probably be one of his black DE razors, and I want to get another brush to give my Shavemac 177 a bit of a rest, it's coming up a year now of solo use. Keen to try boar now.

Status
Not open for further replies.