June 2016 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several months back, I was fortunate enough to obtain a decent cross-section of premium Colognes and EDPs. I earmarked a few as favourites, but couldn't bring myself to cough up the big bikkies. Well, been working a few trying contracts, so promised myself that I could have one at the successful completion of each. I've just finished the first, so I've splashed out. Yes - I know it's far too much $$ for a fragrance, but it is fabulous. I'm hoping my fellow wet shavers understand my madness. And without further adieu:

1fb804111c2e42e94892eee5c2df8bd7.jpg

f3c01c3b4f45ddb33e9b84e83f5a322f.jpg

783362a9ea069ef4321312c55196a1be.jpg

Ooh, shiny. I think a couple of people, including @Mark1966 (of course) have some Penhaligons that you can chat with about it.
The rest of is will have to sit out that thread, doing the forum equivalent of window licking.

Thater 4125/3 2 Band Bulb. 28mm.

Full_Size_Render_1.jpg

This thing is huge, but because of the bulb, feels focussed on my face. And so, so soft. Gel tips.
The handle has been scaled up and feels nice and chunky.

Next to my Chubby 2 to give a sense of scale.
Full_Size_Render.jpg
My goodness! It sure is huge!
The chubby looks small next to it. And it's the biggest in my stable. I think I might stick with 4125/2 if I were to get it... Some day... [emoji14]

Keen to hear how it performs. Congratulations on the brush, looks beautiful. You sir, are my number one enabler on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several months back, I was fortunate enough to obtain a decent cross-section of premium Colognes and EDPs. I earmarked a few as favourites, but couldn't bring myself to cough up the big bikkies. Well, been working a few trying contracts, so promised myself that I could have one at the successful completion of each. I've just finished the first, so I've splashed out. Yes - I know it's far too much $$ for a fragrance, but it is fabulous. I'm hoping my fellow wet shavers understand my madness. And without further adieu:

1fb804111c2e42e94892eee5c2df8bd7.jpg

f3c01c3b4f45ddb33e9b84e83f5a322f.jpg

783362a9ea069ef4321312c55196a1be.jpg

Nice mate!

Hey - Happy shaving :)

Thanks guys - I meant to say that I obtained a decent cross section of samples of fragrances - have corrected the original post to say this. The Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet was the first I have splashed out on, as it was my favourite. Just applied it - wonderful. So complex for a citrus based fragrance. Fresh but mysterious.

Mate I think you'll find we are all experts at knowing how much to buy to get the best value in shipping costs. Remember, for us, nearly everything we have originated overseas. Everything except @Anthony's excellent Shaver Heaven soaps, which you really need to try.
So, what percentage of products do you guys buy overseas roughly? 60, 75, 80% or more? I just shaved with a sample from some woman named Em, from Em's Place in the rural Northwest part of the country. She could have been a three-toed sloth for all I know, but she made an above average shave soap. While Em's Place sounds more like a roadside diner, than a shave soap maker and distributor. We have countless Em's Places here, like microbreweries. I incorrectly assumed every country had a thriving domestic shaving products industry, ala domestic beer production. But, that shows how knowledgeable this yank is, because you could have knocked me over with a feather after I read your line "Remember, for us, nearly everything we have originated overseas". The logic of it went kerplunk in my brain after I gave the remark a once over. So, now I see why you guys possess a fair amount of genuine glee on receiving your postals.

So, when you guys don't like or grow tired of your gear. Do you trade, sell or PIF it with other Australian wet shave enthusiasts, like some secondary market (which would be massive) or do you buy and keep most things, even if they're not to your liking/standards?

Last edited:
"The rest of us will have to sit out that thread (The Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet), doing the forum equivalent of window licking".

I had a good belly laugh at that one...but the truth rings through like the humor. You Aussie have a quick wit about ya.

Full_Size_Render_1.jpg

This thing is huge, but because of the bulb, feels focussed on my face. And so, so soft. Gel tips.

Full_Size_Render.jpg
The bulb looks superb - congratulations (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Also looking very much forward to your thoughts - although I suspect the brush to be more like a Shavemac 2-band Silvertip than the Paladin....but then I haven't tried the new Paladin knots yet

The bulb looks superb - congratulations (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Also looking very much forward to your thoughts - although I suspect the brush to be more like a Shavemac 2-band Silvertip than the Paladin....but then I haven't tried the new Paladin knots yet
Thanks. Actually the new Paladin knot feels very much like the Shavemac 2 Band, although a little softer and with better flow through. I am thrilled with it. I knew that Ken puts a lot of work into sourcing the knots, but it's a tough ask to follow up a Sabini knot. The knot does the handle proud.
Initial thoughts with the Thater is that it's the softest brush I've used. I got the 2 band bulb because I was aware of this and wanted to ensure backbone. You wouldn't want this size Thater in a fan, it would flop all over the place. This is perfectly balanced.

Piggy in the Middle

I love my DR Harris Best Badger H3 brush - an underrated large brush that performs brilliantly.
And now that it is broken in, I love my Savile Row 3824 Silvertip, a more agile 24mm knot.
But.... of the two, I find that I like the larger knot.

Thus, I am excited to report a new arrival:-

chub1_zps94wjilbs.jpg

chub2_zpsvvrcm7q9.jpg

chub3_zpsxttkhmzf.jpg
I've sorted it out...your secret identity is either Rupert Murdock, Bruce Wayne or Batman-or all three. Like the Joker said "where does he get these wonderful toys?" Because only they'd have this kind of budget...this is insanity.

Got Arko!

37f11e1826a599a12e22770e2faa213f.jpg

Thanks @King of Authentic Shave for the freebies!!
You got ALL the Arko, it would seem. I'm glad to see you guys respect the tried and true, I was sure you only did the swishy French and British high end Savile Row, Bond Street etc. stuff, but who am I to judge. The stuff I've seen in a short time have stoked me lions. Top shelf gear here only.

This razor was NOS and in excellent condition, it had not been used before so no it's not technically new, but never been used.

NOT the same company. Just so you know. Parker of Vintage SR fame is no longer.

Full_Size_Render_1.jpg

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Wowsers! That thing is huge, literally dwarfing the Chubby (never thought I would write that sentence). Glad you added the comparison shot. So, now get us a photo next to a wee scot. Yes, bring on a review comparing it the Paladin.

So, what percentage of products do you guys buy overseas roughly? 60, 75, 80% or more?

So, when you guys don't like or grow tired of your gear. Do you trade, sell or PIF it with other Australian wet shave enthusiasts, like some secondary market (which would be massive) or do you buy and keep most things, even if they're not to your liking/standards?

Depends on the product, but I don't buy OS unless I have to. For me, the only thing I have that wasn't bought in Australia are vintage razors. That's only because I am buying used, and there just aren't that many around. I do however have a custom order in with an Aussie artisan. I would say however that I am an outlier.

As for selling used/PIF, all advertised here or on Aussie FB groups because again, shipping kills the price and folks from USA for example just wouldn't be willing to pay the price.

A full 7oz glass bottle of vintage Aqua Velva Ice Blue. I don't know the year but I'm fairly sure it's from the late 80's / early 90's.
Does it smell any different or have different ingredients to the current version?
Well not my current version as that has added menthol crystals to cool it down properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.