Opinel no 8
Random vintage Barlow
Left to right;
Spyderco cat
Spyderco delica 4
Spyderco ambitious
Spyderco dragonfly

I have a few more on the way :)
Kitchen knives wise I have a couple of Japanese but I’m just not as enthusiastic about them...

It’s worth noting that as I use my knives extensively, no safe queens here boy.
Not that any are valuable enough to be regarded as safe queens.
Recently I can into a good deal and ended up with a second delica :)
I’m going to give it to a buddy
4HIgIxKl.jpg

Well - seeing that my previous photos are abominations, thanks to the ransomware move by the bucketheads last year, I'm re-posting below.
@Mark1966 has seen them in person, and nearly bolted from my abode, fearing he had entered the lair of a madman ;).

It is indeed a pretty amazing sight and they certainly do get used. Looking at some of them I'm suprised they don't make any of the SOTD pics - although that could be an easy way to lose a nose, or a chin ...

Just bought this to round out my collection of Japanese Chef's knives.
Not much dearer than a crappy piece of stamped out stainless that some companies call a knife ('that's not a knife...this is a knife' sort of thing).
Anyone else enjoy using a decent and 'really' sharp piece of hardware?
It's good looking too, and happy to have it in my kitchen.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...es-uzushio-series-ud-2-santoku-170mm-6-6-inch

jck-natures-santoku-jck-natures-uzushio-series-ud-2-santoku-170mm-6-6-inch-14549391507553_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much dearer than a crappy piece of stamped out stainless that some companies call a knife ('that's not a knife...this is a knife' sort of thing).
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...es-uzushio-series-ud-2-santoku-170mm-6-6-inch

Yep, a few knife lovers around here, nice bit of kit mate!

Thanks to Mods for moving this to correct place. I didn't look hard enough (OK, I had a 'man look').

If you have been here long enough you remember all the old threads - could count them on two hands almost!

Nice Santoku at a good price

I took advice from forums and started with 1 good chef's knife a Global G-2-8 and micro sharpener but looking at @TomG bone/horn handled Damascus I can feel another Addiction Disorder coming on
The Global series are well marketed but I am sure there are much better options available

I'm glad this thread got resurrected, as it prompted me to fish my Edge Faux out of the cupboard and get sharpening. I have nothing fancy, just a Mundial block set, but a bit of work with the Edge Faux 400/800/1500 followed by a stone (this one: https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...ro-new-cerax-1000-3000-combo-sharpening-stone ) resulted in some seriously sharp knives. Well, by my low standards anyway. I also saw reference to Kiwi knives in this thread, and that rang a bell. Sure enough I had one in the 'assorted implements' drawer so it too got a touch up on the Cerax stone. Lots of info here; thanks to all contributors.

Ahh, the Edge Faux, well yes.

After a couple of uses I fell seriously out of love with mine. The stones separated from the holders and needed to be glued back and then the suction didn't work very well and it all just got too hard.

I've got this coming for my birthday next year. Well reviewed and relatively foolproof it seems. Better to have one of these and used than not sharpen your knives.

So if anybody wants an Edge Faux ...

Last edited:
I would love to learn how to sharpen my knives, got 3 stones I think Japanese but not stones they are man made

anyway can get the edge ok but never really sharp, garfish butterfly fillets sharp..

If anyone wants to hand out any pointers, or where I’m going wrong.. I’m all ears 😃

Fair warning, this would ruin the Japanese steel geometry over time.
I was about to say the same thing. Japanese blades (other than the single-edge ones, which are another ball-game again) need a very tight grinding angle. For your santoku knife with a flat stone, the back of your knife wouldn't usually be much more than a couple of millimetres above the stone. (Layers of masking tape are helpful here.) Careful use of a steel will save a lot of time with the stone.

If anyone wants to hand out any pointers, or where I’m going wrong.. I’m all ears 😃
Look for YouTube videos on sharpening Shun knives. There are plenty, since Shun is such a popular brand of (really beautiful) knives. But start with wider blades when you put it into practice. Getting the angle right on a little 4" Japanese paring knife can be a real challenge.