Lather advice needed for hot summer shaving

DrBob

Hi,

I live in Perth and do not have an air-conditioned bathroom. It was something like 33 or 34 degrees in the bathroom when I had a shave the other day (it was a 41 deg day). I found - being a newbie - that by the time I got from one ear to the other side of my face the lather was dried out too much.

Any tips from more experienced 'hot' wet shavers?

Is it OK to lather section by section rather than do the entire face?

Thanks,

I can't see any issues with doing one part of the face at a time with the lather.

Are you sure it's the heat that is making the lather dissipate?

Hi @DrBob - A few questions.

How are you shaving? DE/SE/Straight?

How are you making your lather? Face or bowl?
If in a bowl a drop or two of Glycerine as you are making the lather. Don't start with a brush that is too wet as you will end up with all bubble as opposed to cream lather too quickly. Bubbly and airy lather will dry out quickly. Whether face or bowl add water slowly to get the lather to glisten so it looks wet.
If your lather is drying out too quickly with heat just do a section at a time. If you do sections at a time, just have a texta so you can tick of f the areas you have already done. :)

Steve

Sounds like your lather is too dry to begin with. I'm in perth, no AC in the bathroom and had no issues. More soap and more water should fix it.

Should add, that you don't use a wet brush, but a damp one and load up well. Then add water by dipping in the sink, and building the lather. Wet and yoghurty with few to no bubbles is ideal. You don't want thick lather like cake icing, it will dry out and be sticky.

Last edited:
What soap/cream are you using too? That might be the problem.

@eggbert is in Darwin - he might have some tips too

Once the soap has 'enough' water in it, the lather should turn glossy. If it is still thirsty and has a matt appearance then add more water.

I just put the brush under a dripping tap, adde 3-4 drips of water on my bristles, work into one hemisphere of planet face, 3-4 drips on the brush, work it into the other hemisphere of planet face. Keep going until the whole lot is glossy, looks really wet.

I'd also recommend that after your two passes, lather up again and put a heap of water on the brush and work it in again, see how much water the soap can take before it turns to a sudsy mess. You will be surprised how much you can work in. Did it today with Shaver Heaven 1St Anniversary soap, amazing how much moisture you can add to it without it sliding right off. Remember the centre of the brush will still have heaps of soap in it, just keep working it even if it feels too wet.

Hi @DrBob - A few questions.

How are you shaving? DE/SE/Straight?

How are you making your lather? Face or bowl?
If in a bowl a drop or two of Glycerine as you are making the lather. Don't start with a brush that is too wet as you will end up with all bubble as opposed to cream lather too quickly. Bubbly and airy lather will dry out quickly. Whether face or bowl add water slowly to get the lather to glisten so it looks wet.
If your lather is drying out too quickly with heat just do a section at a time. If you do sections at a time, just have a texta so you can tick of f the areas you have already done. :)

Steve

Hi Steve,

DE razor.

Interesting idea with the glycerine. AND the texta!

Sounds like your lather is too dry to begin with. I'm in perth, no AC in the bathroom and had no issues. More soap and more water should fix it.

Should add, that you don't use a wet brush, but a damp one and load up well. Then add water by dipping in the sink, and building the lather. Wet and yoghurty with few to no bubbles is ideal. You don't want thick lather like cake icing, it will dry out and be sticky.

OK, that makes sense. I'll give it a go.

What soap/cream are you using too? That might be the problem.

@eggbert is in Darwin - he might have some tips too
Hi, originally Evelyn & Crabtree Sandalwood Soap. Since then Tabac Soap, and I have tried some Occams Cream with good results.
I live in Perth too and new to DE shaving and lathering. I've found You Tube the best help. Geofatboy & Nick Shaves have excellent demonstrations on lathering.
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Once the soap has 'enough' water in it, the lather should turn glossy. If it is still thirsty and has a matt appearance then add more water.

I just put the brush under a dripping tap, adde 3-4 drips of water on my bristles, work into one hemisphere of planet face, 3-4 drips on the brush, work it into the other hemisphere of planet face. Keep going until the whole lot is glossy, looks really wet.

I'd also recommend that after your two passes, lather up again and put a heap of water on the brush and work it in again, see how much water the soap can take before it turns to a sudsy mess. You will be surprised how much you can work in. Did it today with Shaver Heaven 1St Anniversary soap, amazing how much moisture you can add to it without it sliding right off. Remember the centre of the brush will still have heaps of soap in it, just keep working it even if it feels too wet.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Monsta Edit - please use the multi-quote to reply with one post - ta.

Last edited by a moderator: