Lather Shots

@silver I've got the same color lather bowl as you when I got from Men's Biz about 6 months ago, any way great lather shot you've got their ;) and it's look perfect too me.

Yea was a bit reluctant to buy it, it was a little expensive. Went around hunting for a similar bowl that has grooves at the bottom, couldn't find a good one. And even if I did, it's very thin. This is one thick ceramic bowl. Great bowl, although it's on the pricey side.

Thanks for your kind words, I tried applying it to my hand, now I get what they mean by 'when a lather is well hydrated and shave ready, you can evenly spread an even coat of lather than covers your skin, and you shouldn't be able to see your skin colour.'

I guess I'll find out tomorrow if I nailed it right!

Having bought the same bowl have either of you found that the outside white portion has slightly changed colour ? I noticed with mine, that it took on a very subtle but nice blue hue to it.

Unexpected but I love it ! Certainly helps that blue is my favourite colour.

4d25856e957302ae03d19f8b62dbbe9e.jpg

1741c5169e6a3383401ff71f8f487b92.jpg

One submission from myself.
I forgot to take a picture of the lather before, so I whipped out the brush and did another go. Figured I need the practice to learn about the new SV I have.

What do you guys think? I added a lot more water this time. Loaded less soap too, easier to get the right balance. I'll use these pointers for tomorrow's shave. If it is smooth shave, means I got the ratio right.

It's really hard for me without knowing the soap and seeing/feeling the lather. The lather on the brush looks good to me, but on the side of the bowl I see large bubbles which usually means too much water to early and/or too little product.

Playing around with lather without the added pressure of having to use it for a shave is great...even I do it with a new soap if I can.

My method is always the same: soak the brush and then wring it really dry. Add a couple drops water to the soap and load. When it is/gets to pasty - add more drops of water to the soap. Load until the top of the brush is totally covered in proto lather - that stuff should have zero bubbles and be like a cream.

Now go to your bowl and again slowly add water. Don't be afraid of lathering your hand. You can feel the lather - both cushion and slickness on the tips of your fingers.

Also don't be afraid to add too much water if you are not shaving with it. That way you know how much water it can take....

In my books an under-hydrated lather is better than an over-hydrated one. Therefore I also advise to use more product - load longer.

For me it is also easier to create all the lather I need before the first pass - that way I can concentrate on the shave.

Hope you have a great shave tomorrow!

It's really hard for me without knowing the soap and seeing/feeling the lather. The lather on the brush looks good to me, but on the side of the bowl I see large bubbles which usually means too much water to early and/or too little product.

Playing around with lather without the added pressure of having to use it for a shave is great...even I do it with a new soap if I can.

My method is always the same: soak the brush and then wring it really dry. Add a couple drops water to the soap and load. When it is/gets to pasty - add more drops of water to the soap. Load until the top of the brush is totally covered in proto lather - that stuff should have zero bubbles and be like a cream.

Now go to your bowl and again slowly add water. Don't be afraid of lathering your hand. You can feel the lather - both cushion and slickness on the tips of your fingers.

Also don't be afraid to add too much water if you are not shaving with it. That way you know how much water it can take....

In my books an under-hydrated lather is better than an over-hydrated one. Therefore I also advise to use more product - load longer.

For me it is also easier to create all the lather I need before the first pass - that way I can concentrate on the shave.

For me a significant turning point was realising that a good lather should be quite shiny. In fact shiny yoghurt is what I look for. And yes, feel the lather in your hands. Does it feel slippy?

Thanks as always @alfredus , cheers for the tip. It is probably better to load the heck out of the brush than under loading. I used to really like thick sticky foams, but they dont really have much glide. I guess that is when I need to add more water.

I should focus on getting the lather going before worry about hydrating it. Lest, it will be like you said, big bubbles usually are not a good sign. I tend to keep adding water when it doesn't really look right.

Will give it a go again today.

For me a significant turning point was realising that a good lather should be quite shiny. In fact shiny yoghurt is what I look for. And yes, feel the lather in your hands. Does it feel slippy?

Yea! The foam on the brush is very slippy. I used to lather up to the point where there is a lot of lather, but then when I put it on my face, there is more of a drag than slip. That's when the MdC sample from @filobiblic taught me that it really should be slippy, and that slippy lather is just so fun to work with. I feel so much protection and that confidence to just glide and glide along my face. Young Grasshopper then knew, what they meant when they say they Faceturbate,

It was impossible keeping this stuff on the brush today - I had a pool of lather at the base of the brush after each pass - simply superb and that's what I call Gelato :D
20160317_PaladinChief_MWLimeS_zpsxn242xbx.jpg

Having bought the same bowl have either of you found that the outside white portion has slightly changed colour ? I noticed with mine, that it took on a very subtle but nice blue hue to it.

Unexpected but I love it ! Certainly helps that blue is my favourite colour.
Hmm, not really though. Although the blue coating in certain areas are starting to fade [emoji30]

1d2e501cc858da149f7f3cc058ec8cea.jpg

af48c53a86f29b2454ce4e76895620ae.jpg

Fellow lather Meisters, please find submission for today. What I did differently this time is that I didn't totally wring the brush too dry, just a gentle squeeze so it still retained some water. Did the @alfredus lather method, and searched for @Psmith silky glossy yoghurt.

Mmm Mmm yummy shave so smooth so slick.

1d2e501cc858da149f7f3cc058ec8cea.jpg

af48c53a86f29b2454ce4e76895620ae.jpg

Fellow lather Meisters, please find submission for today. What I did differently this time is that I didn't totally wring the brush too dry, just a gentle squeeze so it still retained some water. Did the @alfredus lather method, and searched for @Psmith silky glossy yoghurt.

Mmm Mmm yummy shave so smooth so slick.
It looks like a perfect Meringue Pie, haha ;)

I think I have lather envy ...

PMSL @ the last two comments.
What they're not telling you is it took half a hour to build :p

Not sure about white balance but -

They were before first pass. I think I could have done more work and added more water. Oh, in fact I could - see the post shave experimentation shot below - still could have done more:

I can see the Yardley being ripe for future experimentation when I have more time. This clearly could become obsessive ...

OK, I'll admit it - I'm a lather nerd.

I 'blame' @alfredus for planting the seed of lathering without shaving. I didn't have time this morning to muck around while shaving but remained curious after my experience with the Yardley yesterday - so after coming home from my early morning commitment I made a lather with the Yardley - just because I could!

A bowl of tallowy goodness -

Strong, rich peaks, glistening on my finger -

Slippery, handfuls of glide and goodness -

... and all washed down the drain hole without ever touching my face...

The Yardley is just amazing the amount of water it will take. Squeezing out the brush at the end produced a mountain of really wet yet firm lather.

This is normal isn't it? Everybody has lathered at least once without shaving? Come on now guys, it is not just me ...

OK, I'll admit it - I'm a lather nerd.

I 'blame' @alfredus for planting the seed of lathering without shaving. I didn't have time this morning to muck around while shaving but remained curious after my experience with the Yardley yesterday - so after coming home from my early morning commitment I made a lather with the Yardley - just because I could!

A bowl of tallowy goodness -

Strong, rich peaks, glistening on my finger -

Slippery, handfuls of glide and goodness -

... and all washed down the drain hole without ever touching my face...

The Yardley is just amazing the amount of water it will take. Squeezing out the brush at the end produced a mountain of really wet yet firm lather.

This is normal isn't it? Everybody has lathered at least once without shaving? Come on now guys, it is not just me ...
I'm on the same boat. I'm doing it to break in my new SOC. You are not alone.