Lather Shots

F3UNAgSl.jpg

Pb Tobacco Blue w/ 26mm TF HMW

Another shot for some lather envy @Holiday :) but you should know this is the fish that John West rejected.
It's all @alfredus 's fault. He set's a very high standard with lather, but it made me work at it and I learnt some stuff along the way.:)

Hi @Pbgoose do you follow the same method as below videos?
I like the fact your lather is always so silky smooth, nearly as hydrated as @alfredus and also conservative in comparison.
Doesn't look like you are loading more than necessary. Bowl, palm or face?

Here are the 2 videos I always recommend:

Hi @Pbgoose do you follow the same method as below videos?
I like the fact your lather is always so silky smooth, nearly as hydrated as @alfredus and also conservative in comparison.
Doesn't look like you are loading more than necessary. Bowl, palm or face?
Yes, @alfredus is the master, he put me onto that video a couple of years back. I don't follow it exactly but the principle is the same.
I always bowl lather. I scoop out some soap off the puck then press/smear it onto the bottom of my shave bowl and lather from there. Main thing is not adding too much water too soon combined with patience. I prefer bowl lathering as I feel it gives me more control over the process. There's usually some excess soap at the bottom of the bowl which is available if the lather needs bolstering. Plus I like to leave my pucks clean so I can sample them for family/friends (test dummies for my soap:)).

Yes, @alfredus is the master, he put me onto that video a couple of years back. I don't follow it exactly but the principle is the same.
I always bowl lather. I scoop out some soap off the puck then press/smear it onto the bottom of my shave bowl and lather from there. Main thing is not adding too much water too soon combined with patience. I prefer bowl lathering as I feel it gives me more control over the process. There's usually some excess soap at the bottom of the bowl which is available if the lather needs bolstering. Plus I like to leave my pucks clean so I can sample them for family/friends (test dummies for my soap:)).

Thx @Pbgoose that nice big spaghetti dish of a lather bowl must help too

FOECwkd.jpg

Yaqi Synthetic Tuxedo + Squadron​
Here's one for the lathering gurus:

I whipped up a decent lather as seen above, it was cushiony, slick and supple - everything you would expect from a good soap. However, when I went to apply it was watery, thin. insipid - completely unusable. I thought I hadn't loaded enough into the brush or over hydrated it. This happened twice in a row too - I had to put everything down and walk away otherwise it would've started the day off on the wrong foot.

Any pointers so this doesn't happen again, oh wise ones?

Hi @ollietwo is it because you are following the same load times for squadron and stirling?
FWITW squadron takes twice as long to load but still provides a fantastic lather. You need to read the proto lather on the brush and adapt technique for each soap base.
Get the load wrong and you will never get a good lather with any method. Keep loading on the puck until you are satisfied and then take to bowl, palm or face and add more water as required.
Dont forget these :) https://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/lather-shots.2434/post-163166

Thanks for the help @Holiday after researching, I realised that I was probably underloading the brush. Secondly, I've realised that I need to go further than what I consider to be hydrated when I palm lather - I was using it as soon as it felt wet, not slick.