Loading and Lathering

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
I think it was on the SOTD thread that @Mark1966 linked to the chart of "suggested timing" for a shave. That generated a little bit of discussion...

Well, LeisureGuy (not to be mixed up with this guy!) has posted a video - below - of his loading and lathering. What's interesting is that he uses the Fat (MWF) from dry and gets a decent lather in the time he takes. Which is...

10 seconds to load (MWF from dry)
30 seconds to lather (direct on face)

He says he does this with all soaps and brushes - the same timing for whatever one.

Here's the original chart of the shave times...

2 minutes to load
1 minute to lather

Venngage-shave-time.png

Sorry, but that's not representative.
First he mashes the brush into the soap - you can't do that with a badger or horse.
Second he has enough lather for 1 pass - I like to have all my passes (4 + 1 post) on the brush before shaving so that from the 2nd pass I only use pain like strokes...

Sorry, but that's not representative.
First he mashes the brush into the soap - you can't do that with a badger or horse.
Second he has enough lather for 1 pass - I like to have all my passes (4 + 1 post) on the brush before shaving so that from the 2nd pass I only use pain like strokes...
Yeah I get that. Just putting it out there as one example...

In contrast, Nick Shaves (of YouTube fame) spends a decent amount of time loading his brush (usually boat but sometimes synthetic). He has enough for all passes as well.

i even saw one tutorial on youtube, that a guy loaded for 10 seconds then lathered for 30 seconds and repeated three times

Wait until you discover the marco method ;)