Local is more expensive, no?

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
I thought so, but rarely bother for my low value restocks, as the savings on the odd consumable like blades or a splash, isn't worth bothering about. But I need some Speick soon, and get some gotta have's, so I did a comparison. The sticker prices OS are clearly lower, so it should be a lot cheaper.

I carted 4 items with shaving.ie and Mensbiz. All the individual sticker prices with MB were higher, in the case of a TOBS cologne, $20 more. But with MB I hit their $100 free delivery mark, and got the B&B discount, which is 15%.

shaving ie prices were all lower, but postage was almost $25. All up, it would cost me $4 more to buy off Nathan. Plus I needn't worry about fragile stuff being sent around the world, or waiting 2+ weeks for it.

So the more you buy, the more competitive it can be to buy local.

Terrific point.

Dollar for dollar local is more expensive based solely on shelf price.

The solution clearly is to buy a decent quantity.

...........the more you buy........

The vortex of consumerism. If you also start PIFing stuff away, the more you have to buy and the cheaper it gets and the more you can PIF away. If we follow this argument to the fullest extent, it'll cost next to nothing and all your mates get stuff in the mail. By the way, you're a good mate.

Last edited:
The vortex of consumerism. If you also start PIFing stuff away, the more you have to buy and the cheaper it gets and the more you can PIF away. If we follow this argument to the fullest extent, it'll cost next to nothing and all your mates get stuff in the mail. By the way, you're a good mate.

Hey, he's using LOGIC on the internets!!

And is therefore a witch!

Burn him!

Burn him!

+1 [Hmm too short - must have 10 characters in a reply post - this is a SERIOUS forum!]

Well a sure way not to be able to give anything away, is offer it up on here.
Too true, really strange that.

Burn him!
This post brought to you by 1s and 0s

+1 [Hmm too short - must have 10 characters in a reply post - this is a SERIOUS forum!]

This is about costs, and you're an accountant, this should be serious for you anyway.

Oh no, when forum daddy gets home we're going to be in trouble.

Seriously though, yeah, never assume that buying from overseas is always cheap. Most of the time for single expensive items it is, but for certain things (large purchases or cheaper items) it isn't, so I always check. Most of the times it just depends on if the local guy has to go through a local distributor, and how much that distributor rips us off. If it's a good distributor or the local guy imports themselves, probably not much more to buy locally.

Last edited:

Burn him!
He turned me into a newt!

....but I got better....

I don't mind local. My quest for blades has led me to eBay but most other new stuff I tend to try and buy local first - I figure the more business I deliver to local shops, the more they'll be able to stock, which could in turn mean cheaper in the future as well.

Nathan @ MensBiz replied super fast to me this morning with a query I had re: the travel razor I talked about in the acquisition thread, and with the OCAU 15% discount, of course I'm going to give him my money after that. :)