L'Occitane Cade

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
Many of you will know my prediliction for tallow, but I pulled out a year old puck of Cade the other week, and haven't put it back yet.

loccitane-grooming-accessories-cade-shaving-soap.jpg

I struggled a bit with this one in the past, but I didn't have Simpsons then, and I was still soaking my boars thoroughly, so I probably wasn't getting optimum results. That could go for any of the hard soaps out there though. That's what B&B does to you - overthink stuff.

Cade has a few things going for it; the scent is great, a spicy juniper thing. If you don't know whether you'll like that, you can just go to a real L'Occitane shop and give it a whiff.

At $20 for a hard soap that'll last, that's good value too. It shaves nicely as well. What I've found is the difference between boar and badger lather is a bit more noticeable. The boar gets it wet and slick very easily, whereas the badger makes it more fluffy and soft. Either result works very well.

Could be that my boar technique comes into play here too. Since the woes I had with the 830, I've gone spartan. I just run them under the tap and leave them firm and bristly, and then let them soften up as I add water and work up lather. I find this stops the 830 noodling out. It also means the brush can really work; I don't beleive anymore that a soaked and limp boar can do that. Being just damp they really work into the soap too, so I'm probably getting a fair bit more in the brush than badger (which needs less product anyway). Never had a problem getting 3-4 passes worth taking this approach.

I don't think Cade is quite as moisturising as the tallows, but that doesn't really matter. It's a nice product that does what it should. Worth a go if you're looking for a long lasting soap that has a popular scent, and is easy to pick up locally. Never been a fan of the other L'Occi shaving stuff, the balm is way too heavy and greasy for me, but they have a decent selection you can sniff and rub, should you want to check them out.

Last edited: