Looking to go to the next level

C&E soaps are OK.

Do yourself a favour though dreamy and pick up a tube of proraso cream. It's cheap enough and will likely be a lather eye opener :)

I have insufficient privileges to post in the shave of the day forum, so I thought I would do an update here.
First DE shave as follows:
Gillette Slim set on 2.
Crabtree and Evelyn applied with a very average brush.
Schick Plus Platinum.

I was concerned that this fangled DE was going to attempt to remove half of my face, so I started out very carefully. It turns out that the Slim was not interested in my flesh at all. Had a great shave with the feeling of an event rather than a chore. No nicks and just a touch of a weeper in a couple of areas on my neck.
Mark hooked me up with a Slim and a Fatboy, with the one Schick blade, a couple of personas, and some Gillette super stainless. I am concerned about changing too many things at once, and the Schick thread indicates that I should get a number of shaves from this blade, which is one less variable. Any suggestions as to which blade I should try out next? It appears that the Schick blades may be a little difficult to obtain, so I need to find something that works that is still in production.

Pick up some Astra or Personna blades. The green Astra SP is often considered the benchmark for current production blades. It's smooth and sharp enough not to burn you. You might also consider the blue Astra SS, the red Israeli Personna or the blue Personna Lab/Med Preps (quite sharp). A step above these is the Perma-Sharp Super, a very sharp blade with great longevity. One could say the same about Polsilver Super Iridiums. I'd start with the green Astras and work up from there.

Pick up some Astra or Personna blades. The green Astra SP is often considered the benchmark for current production blades. It's smooth and sharp enough not to burn you. You might also consider the blue Astra SS, the red Israeli Personna or the blue Personna Lab/Med Preps (quite sharp). A step above these is the Perma-Sharp Super, a very sharp blade with great longevity. One could say the same about Polsilver Super Iridiums. I'd start with the green Astras and work up from there.

+1. Reds and Astras are very good and easily available.

Now six shaves in with the same setup (Slim (2), Schick Plus Platinum, C&E) and I have yet to remove any part of my face.
The Schick blade I am using is the same one I did my first shave with and it is still going strong. Technique is also improving as I start to understand the direction of growth, and then shave to get the best result.
Next step will be to change the blade, I am thinking that I will ditch the Schick after the 7th shave tomorrow morning, and then move to a different blade Saturday. Also need to consider making the Slim more aggressive, but not keen to try that with either an aging blade or a new blade of a different type. I am thinking fresh Personna for Saturday morning, and then go up a couple of notches on the Slim for Sunday morning providing it goes well Saturday.

I know it's tempting but why change your set up if everything's going well? IMO you're not going to fit a better blade than the Schlicky. And as you're still working on your technique you're unlikely to be able to tell the difference anyhow.

I have to agree with @Pjotr . Keep the same thing going but change your blade, that way your technique is good and you can try a bunch of different blades.

Just ordered a Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger and some TOBS from Shaver Hut. Grabbed a pack of Astra's at the same time, so I can try those out.
This really is a great way to save money!

Are you sure of that ? :p

If you're still looking!! It's been a month and you should be ready for the next level!!
Time to go Straight. If your looking at cost... Move on to a Parker clone and half blades!! You'll be able to learn a new skill and shave for a year for under 20$!!

If you're still looking!! It's been a month and you should be ready for the next level!!
Time to go Straight. If your looking at cost... Move on to a Parker clone and half blades!! You'll be able to learn a new skill and shave for a year for under 20$!!
Hahaha no one on this forum shaves for under $20 a year.

I have so far this year if you don't count the boar brush and tobs cream my wife bought me?

Hi Dreamboat,
Welcome. I like Personna Reds and Gillette Yellows, and of course Feathers. I have a Gillette Slim and adjust it down for each pass. I like an aggressive razor so I start on 9, then 7 , then 5 for the third pass.

Cheers
George