Made my own B-day pressie

Mitcon

Sad when you have to make your own presents lol, but someone has to do it. Found a small bit of eucalyptus burl hiding in the shed, so made a soap beating bowl or whatever ya call these doo-dads. Saved just enough to make a matching brush and a razor handle so now I'll have to buy a knot and a razor blank or find a donor hehehe. Then I'll have a set. Happy B-day to me! :cool:

7lxs8dB.jpg
mvVr3hP.jpg

G86H34S.jpg
yNJZpMK.jpg

Sad when you have to make your own presents lol, but someone has to do it. Found a small bit of eucalyptus burl hiding in the shed, so made a soap beating bowl or whatever ya call these doo-dads. Saved just enough to make a matching brush and a razor handle so now I'll have to buy a knot and a razor blank or find a donor hehehe. Then I'll have a set. Happy B-day to me! :cool:

7lxs8dB.jpg
mvVr3hP.jpg

G86H34S.jpg
yNJZpMK.jpg
That looks really impressive. How will it stand up to water? What did you use to finish it?

I used a cream wax finish and then shellawax glow friction finish, it should be fine with heat, water and alcohol normally and is non-toxic food safe. Often a woodturners fav finish, little bit old skool but then so I am lol.

These 2 bits left from the same burl will be a DE razor handle, a brush and maybe a couple of pens or something

5HMhSdX.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful - well done (y)(y)(y)

+1 (y)(y)(y)
Nice looking burl turned into a beautiful and functional tool. Can't wait to see the matching set.

Thanks folks, been 8 or 9 years since I turned the lathe on. I wasn't so sure how I'd go to be honest but things come back to you. You can see how much soap is loaded on the brush in one pic, bowl certainly seems to get it frothy fairly well. Would have made it lather better without a finish on the timber but have to protect the wood somehow. I will update the thread when I do the brush and razor but it'll be slow going. It'll be in the new year, turning isn't easy when you can't use your thumbs.

Found a small chunk off a bit of a rotted fence post and thought this chunk was solid enough still. lil rough but it was just playing about but I think I'll have to try a few different design ideas as I'm not sure I like this shape. That and I'm toying with maybe adding a bit of bling.

osX4KUY.jpg

Practice? With your skill level, surely not!

Kind words, but photos don't do the blemishes justice lol.
Sadly I used to be much better but then not all things improve with age I guess, but also practicing on styles and how they feel in my hands on odd bits of wood till I know what I want/like and then I'll do the burl. Going to mount a High Mountain White knot I think when I get it right so I want to make it a worthwhile effort and finish. It's been nice finding something that has peaked my interest and motivated me enough to do a bit of turning again.

Woohooo, I got mail from TGN!
A synth & HMW knot and a razor kit and best of all Mrs Mitcon didn't make me wait, though she knows I can't do much with it till after Xmas :cry:. Still looking for a pen kit I like, I'm really excited to try out the HMW badger.

The Synth I'll maybe throw in the above practice handle as the Mrs has been eyeing it off and the rest is all mine...No I'm not greedy, it was MY B-day pressie lol.

tlV8Vrw.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm still waiting on a pen kit to come and some other toys but I thought I'd skim a little bit of the sides to square up the chunk for turning. Then I looked at the thin off-cuts and remembered I had an old KAI (Kershaw) folding liner-lock knife with a buggered pin and only 1 scale....Then a hour or so later this happened, now it'll be a REAL mens shave kit lol as I stropped the blade for a while too. Can't wait till the New Year to finish off the matching set with Razor, brush and a pen.

ZVBQeKQ.jpg
43ecOOJ.jpg

LYkuRH4.jpg
Xki5l0G.jpg

Last edited:
Are you going to shave with this little knife or are you worried about loosing your nose like me, thank goodness I cannot smell a darn thing ;)
If I trusted my crap house hands I'd shave with it for sure, it's certainly sharp enough and then some. May not seem like it but I can't use my hands very well at all and my thumbs are useless, I'm actually a disabled person though you wouldn't know it. I can sharpen a straight razor past scary, but my hands are useless these days sadly. If i tried shaving with a straight razor or knife edge it would be the end of me in a bloody mess. I have multiple contractures in all tendons and ligaments in my hands/feet and buggered my thumbs up in my 20's. So these days in my golden years it's all fun 'n games