Made my own B-day pressie

I'm actually a disabled person
Me too. I am profoundly deaf with a Cochlear Implant, also a disabled person with cerebral palsy and medically retired from structural engineering drafting during the global financial crisis. I can still shave like an hairy old fart without my pants on. Who loves a tipple of scotch whisky from time to time during my shave, because, it’s very relaxing and there’s no priority anymore or deadlines during my shaves.

Me too. I am profoundly deaf with a Cochlear Implant, also a disabled person with cerebral palsy and medically retired from structural engineering drafting during the global financial crisis. I can still shave like an hairy old fart without my pants on. Who loves a tipple of scotch whisky from time to time during my shave, because, it’s very relaxing and there’s no priority anymore or deadlines during my shaves.
Are you related to me @ all lol, except I'm more bourbon than scotch kinda old bugger. Was forced into early retirement in the early 90's, but still takin names & kick'n asses my friend

Hmmm, not sure this looks better to me but is getting a tad long... last of the redwood rotted post, will have to find some other wood for practice.

8wynE0C.jpg

I like that one, stick a nice boar in there! :cool:

Well I finished turning the handle for the brush and have just set the knot, just a matter of letting the epoxy do it's thing and for the finish to harden, today was a good day. I completed my first 2 shaving brushes, still got a pen and razor to go which will also be firsts for me. These are the smallest things I've ever turned, most things used to be a meter or larger in size or diameter lol.

Hands were buggered and sore as hell so sorry for the soft/slightly out of focus pic but thought I'd share it as I'm really excited.

OfEExwV.jpg

Well I couldn't wait for my other tools and a mandrel so I figured I'd give it a go anyways, there was enough burl for a 2nd shot at it if messed up. I'm happy as with how it turned out. Here's my B-Day razor and I have 2 heads for it, yes it's a bit large for a handle but I have XXXL sized mitts so it's a perfect fit for me.

nAtSiiA.jpg
cSObBN1.jpg

Well I couldn't wait for my other tools and a mandrel so I figured I'd give it a go anyways, there was enough burl for a 2nd shot at it if messed up. I'm happy as with how it turned out. Here's my B-Day razor and I have 2 heads for it, yes it's a bit large for a handle but I have XXXL sized mitts so it's a perfect fit for me.

nAtSiiA.jpg
cSObBN1.jpg
Nice work! They look very impressive. What size was the brush knot?

Thank you for the kind remarks, it was the 23mm HMW from TGN. Haven't used it as yet as I like to let the finish rest for a couple of weeks. It feels fantastic and looks great though how it feels/performs once wet and loaded I'm yet to discover.

Well I gave in, couldn't wait longer for finishes..bah... There is obviously quite a fill of hair in this knot, better than I had thought as it quite dense but once you spaly and shake it dry and see the hair spread natural wow..boofo, like an 70's hair do lol.

Quite fine hairs, holds lot of water and can take up a bit of lather this hungry burl brush. Very luscious softness with still noticeable backbone, more like my synths than a real bristle. Maybe not quite my own personal ideal but beautiful all the same, better in ways than I had thought and yet different in others. Not bad per say just we're all different in our personal tastes.

Couple of pics after a natural splary, shake and dry.

vFtOQIi.jpg
V2ZqrFn.jpg

Oh I keep forgetting but for those interested the knot is a TGN 23mm HMW and the loft is set @ 54mm with an almost 1mm epoxy lip. Surprising spread for a knot under 23mm, think it was only 22.3mm... That fan splay is 71mm from a less than 23mm knot woohooo...Noice!

Last edited:
Well weather was nice today and my mandrel and new lights turned up today so I thought no excuse left to finish off my extra late 2019 B-Day pressie. Remember I was going to make a pen with the last scraps of this burl, well here it is and I'm pretty happy for my first ever go at making a pen.

d6fsPeW.jpg
pqmhoXs.jpg

yPmECaj.jpg

Well weather was nice today and my mandrel and new lights turned up today so I thought no excuse left to finish off my extra late 2019 B-Day pressie. Remember I was going to make a pen with the last scraps of this burl, well here it is and I'm pretty happy for my first ever go at making a pen.
Wow ... what a great thread. Such skill. They all look really beautiful. You have done well. I hope you continue to make more brushes and bowls etc Its very inspiring! :)

Damn, they look awesome! If only I had skills like that... If you ever need someone to test out a prototype bowl or razor handle I'm here -- just kidding :ROFLMAO:.

Damn you're good.

I do sense an ownership of a lathe though. Never trusted wood lathes, seems like their sole purpose is to launch pieces of wood into my forehead.