March 2018 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ip7la18.jpg

To tie me over until my next Paladin arrives

q3yaF07l.jpg

Received these from Maggards this week. I am so kicking myself, the descriptions on Maggards don't tell you whether a soap is scented with fragrance oil or EO's and I ordered the Mike's as the scents listed sounded like they were all EO's. I checked back on Mike's site and realised (too late) that 'Barber Shop' contains fragrance oils. The difference between the Stirling (EO scented) and Mike's is stark to me. I smell Mike's and even though I like the scent the response is flat whereas with the Stirling I breathe a sigh of relief as the scent isn't just nice, to me it's therapeutic. It's all my own fault of course, should've done my homework first. Obviously there's going to be subjective responses but I'm finding for me, I get along a lot better with EO's. Anyway...Mike's will get a run tomorrow.
26mm 70/30 Badger/Boar knot which I think will find it's way to TF. It's the first knot I've had with an obvious 'odor' that requires attention before use.

q3yaF07l.jpg

Received these from Maggards this week. I am so kicking myself, the descriptions on Maggards don't tell you whether a soap is scented with fragrance oil or EO's and I ordered the Mike's as the scents listed sounded like they were all EO's. I checked back on Mike's site and realised (too late) that 'Barber Shop' contains fragrance oils. The difference between the Stirling (EO scented) and Mike's is stark to me. I smell Mike's and even though I like the scent the response is flat whereas with the Stirling I breathe a sigh of relief as the scent isn't just nice, to me it's therapeutic. It's all my own fault of course, should've done my homework first. Obviously there's going to be subjective responses but I'm finding for me, I get along a lot better with EO's. Anyway...Mike's will get a run tomorrow.
26mm 70/30 Badger/Boar knot which I think will find it's way to TF. It's the first knot I've had with an obvious 'odor' that requires attention before use.

Well just send the Mikes to me - simples!

I hear you mate, I avoid fragrance oil soaps myself as I find the fragrances repulsive but more importantly my skin just hates them whether they are 'skin safe' or not. They cause me severe irritation and in some cases redness (Stirling Barbershop/Anything from Razo Rock). It's down to personal choice, but I know where I stand.

The other thing is with Fragrance oils is that you cannot get any information from the suppliers as to what specific compounds are used in fragrance oils themselves, the suppliers all come back with 'that's proprietary information' which I do understand however they should be able to disclose whether there are any known allergens, irritants or other IFRA banned or restricted chemicals in these oils. The other factor with them is that many are mass produced in China, I would like a lot more information on the where, how and why when it comes to the oils themselves and what steps they take, or to what standards they operate in order to avoid contamination or toxicity.

I hear you mate, I avoid fragrance oil soaps myself as I find the fragrances repulsive but more importantly my skin just hates them whether they are 'skin safe' or not. They cause me severe irritation and in some cases redness (Stirling Barbershop/Anything from Razo Rock). It's down to personal choice, but I know where I stand.

The other thing is with Fragrance oils is that you cannot get any information from the suppliers as to what specific compounds are used in fragrance oils themselves, the suppliers all come back with 'that's proprietary information' which I do understand however they should be able to disclose whether there are any known allergens, irritants or other IFRA banned or restricted chemicals in these oils. The other factor with them is that many are mass produced in China, I would like a lot more information on the where, how and why when it comes to the oils themselves and what steps they take, or to what standards they operate in order to avoid contamination or toxicity.
Yes, information wise it just seems like a black hole, just because it's called fragrance oil it's somehow supposed to be all good without the consumer having any opportunity to determine whether the constituent compounds are acceptable to be applying to your own person.
I put on some PAA AS the other day and it instantly gave my wife a headache which she then carried for the rest of the day. So that one's not going to get much air time.:)
I know some people react to EO's but I generally have the opposite reaction and find them very helpful and I tend to be chemically sensitive I think due to exposure in my years working in my trade.

Yes, information wise it just seems like a black hole, just because it's called fragrance oil it's somehow supposed to be all good without the consumer having any opportunity to determine whether the constituent compounds are acceptable to be applying to your own person.

Exactly this.

If it were a perfume or skin care product it would be regulated by IFRA and other regulatory standards because some compounds are severe allergens and others are in no way approved for use in cosmetics. Consumers have every right to make informed decisions about what products contain. Some wet-shaving 'artisans' seem to think they are exempt from basic regulatory controls, this idea that you can pick up any fragrance oil for a few dollars, dose the hell out of a soap and splash and then expect it to be safe is a very bad one and is potentially very dangerous. At a bare minimum it's just reckless.

I put on some PAA AS the other day and it instantly gave my wife a headache which she then carried for the rest of the day. So that one's not going to get much air time.:)
I know some people react to EO's but I generally have the opposite reaction and find them very helpful and I tend to be chemically sensitive I think due to exposure in my years working in my trade.

Some people will react to EO's as some EO's contain known allergens, its down to compliance with IFRA levels as they extensively test the compounds so that people know to avoid certain oils that are demonstrated to contain certain compounds, Cinnamon is an example of one, but there are many more. The point is with EO's the compounds, levels and information exists and is disclosed so people can avoid them if they know or suspect they are allergic.

Status
Not open for further replies.