May 2021 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
XVJK6vo.jpg

Shaving supply drop from VSHOD!

- Sister bought me a Rockwell 6C as a belated birthday present, very excited!
- Got a stick of Wilkinson Sword soap as well because I saw Hos and nav1 both seemed to like it and I may never get to try it otherwise.
- Alum Stick for some feedback on my shaving.
- Assortment of blades I saw suggested by SpeedyPC, to try out.

Everything to the left of the razor were freebies, wasn't expecting that at all, super excited to try the soaps and the 7 o'clock yellows which I had contemplated getting but didn't order.

Thank you VSHOD, really appreciated :)

XVJK6vo.jpg

Shaving supply drop from VSHOD!

- Sister bought me a Rockwell 6C as a belated birthday present, very excited!
- Got a stick of Wilkinson Sword soap as well because I saw Hos and nav1 both seemed to like it and I may never get to try it otherwise.
- Alum Stick for some feedback on my shaving.
- Assortment of blades I saw suggested by SpeedyPC, to try out.

Everything to the left of the razor were freebies, wasn't expecting that at all, super excited to try the soaps and the 7 o'clock yellows which I had contemplated getting but didn't order.

Thank you VSHOD, really appreciated :)

Nice!
Do share your feedback of your experience with the Wilkinson stick.

Also, the alum as a feedback tool is a bit tricky. The level of feedback is dependant on how sensitive your skin is.

My skin reacts badly to alum so I don't use it at all as an aftershave... But it makes a great deodorant!

Postman made me very happy yesterday and today.

- Yaqi Moka Express Brush
- Yaqi Mellon Razor (I actually just wanted the handle but it cost the same to get it with the head so why not.)
- Squadron Empire
- Muhle Rocca

3928-EEC4-5-D10-4659-99-B5-C4-B4331940-C3.jpg

6-C1-BD8-F8-144-E-476-F-9-EBF-7626-B264-A30-D.jpg
Very nice. Having settled on my preference for synthetic brushes (almost exclusively), that Moka Express brush is the final addition I want to make to my collection. Let us know how you get on with it!

Very nice. Having settled on my preference for synthetic brushes (almost exclusively), that Moka Express brush is the final addition I want to make to my collection. Let us know how you get on with it!
It’s thick and thirsty, not unlike myself on a Friday night, gin and tonic in hand :ROFLMAO:. Soft but with good density. The handle is a big boy and solid. And you just missed out on their sale, the Moka was going for 19.95.

Nice!
Do share your feedback of your experience with the Wilkinson stick.

Also, the alum as a feedback tool is a bit tricky. The level of feedback is dependant on how sensitive your skin is.

My skin reacts badly to alum so I don't use it at all as an aftershave... But it makes a great deodorant!

Will do! It'll be my first time trying a soap other than Proraso Green so I look forward to it, I'm not sure whether to bowl lather it like I would Proraso or just apply to the face and face lather. Applying to the face seems so convenient but I'm worried I may not hydrate it enough that way, I guess well see!

Good point about the Alum Stick, I'll have to see how I go with a couple more tries. I reacted badly when I applied a lot of styptic pencil to my face once so I was glad the alum stick went well haha.

Will do! It'll be my first time trying a soap other than Proraso Green so I look forward to it, I'm not sure whether to bowl lather it like I would Proraso or just apply to the face and face lather. Applying to the face seems so convenient but I'm worried I may not hydrate it enough that way, I guess well see!

Good point about the Alum Stick, I'll have to see how I go with a couple more tries. I reacted badly when I applied a lot of styptic pencil to my face once so I was glad the alum stick went well haha.

Shaving sticks are specifically meant for face lathering. I believe some people do melt them down and mould into tubs for bowl lathering. Face lathering is my preference anyway so it suits me fine as is. I like to wet the tip of the stick and rub vigorously on each check in a circular motion for around 8 seconds, then face lather with a moist synthetic brush for around a minute. This approach always gives me a great lather with this soap

Shaving sticks are specifically meant for face lathering. I believe some people do melt them down and mould into tubs for bowl lathering. Face lathering is my preference anyway so it suits me fine as is. I like to wet the tip of the stick and rub vigorously on each check in a circular motion for around 8 seconds, then face lather with a moist synthetic brush for around a minute. This approach always gives me a great lather with this soap
I have never been able to bring myself to use a shave stick the way it's intended, but I have grated one up and smooshed it into a tub to load up in the usual way. No melting required. In fact, some soap makers expect this, for instance Mystic Water, where if you buy a soap you get an empty tub and a puck of soap to grate and smoosh into it.

Applying to the face seems so convenient but I'm worried I may not hydrate it enough that way, I guess well see!
I've been a bowl latherer for the largest part of my so-called adult life (some may dispute its existence), but lately I've come back to a lot of face lathering, sometimes just using the bowl to work up a nice proto-lather. The principle is the same, you could lather up on the bathroom mirror or even on the loo seat if you like (I'll leave you to explain that to the Mrs) and achieve the same effect. Lathering on your face is great for getting the full benefit of a nice brush.

Use it as a stick applied directly to the face for a week straight. By the end you'll know whether you like using it that way or not.

If not, you can grate and pack it into a container, or use a "fist bowl"...where you hold the stick in your fist with the top sticking out and load your brush on that.

I use this method with my sticks when I travel as applying on the face can irritate my skin.

I too shall use my Wilkinson stick tomorrow to give you company :)

b.png

Belated birthday present: CaYuen "Copper Ore" handle with AP Shave Co SynBad 30mm knot. The handle arrived some 10 days ago, but I had to be patient for the business end. Just set in silicone for now. I had nylon washers ready, but ended up just setting the knot all the way in, at least for the time being.

Had a new brush handle show up this week. Nice new Wolf Whiskers and with a Maggards SHD knot already waiting in my drawer, this got installed pretty promptly.

And then another new brush arrived from a buddy in the states. Grizzly Bay with a v7 fanchurian never seen water. Always buy second hand brushes from that guy who has too many of them!

Belated birthday present: CaYuen "Copper Ore" handle with AP Shave Co SynBad 30mm knot. The handle arrived some 10 days ago, but I had to be patient for the business end. Just set in silicone for now. I had nylon washers ready, but ended up just setting the knot all the way in, at least for the time being.

Had a new brush handle show up this week. Nice new Wolf Whiskers and with a Maggards SHD knot already waiting in my drawer, this got installed pretty promptly.

Amazing handles :) (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.