Menthol

eggbert

is full of Vision Collision
2018 Sabbatical
2017 Sabbatical
Da Menth Heads
How many menthol crystals would you that use them add to a new bottle of aftershave?
Got a bottle of skin bracer here that I reckon I've put 40-50 crystals in. Think that's enough?

I'm sure our chemist @alfredus would be able to tell you the exact weight of menthol crystals that could be dissolved into a XXXml bottle of Skin Bracer...? Right? [emoji16]

Ha. I think @borked has that worked out already for most, if not all, aftershaves in his inventory.

By memory, I start with 5% by weight and add from there.
Thayers is 11-12% iirc, yet even stronger now it's nearing the end of the bottle.

0.46 mg/ml water at 25C and 100 mg/ml ethanol at 25C

Solubility in glycerin is somewhere in the middle - now you only need the ingredients of your favorite splash and can easily do the math

0.46 mg/ml water at 25C and 100 mg/ml ethanol at 25C

Solubility in glycerin is somewhere in the middle - now you only need the ingredients of your favorite splash and can easily do the math
Nice one, @alfredus - saved me the trouble of dusting off the CRC Handbook from the shelf.

Thanks all. I wasn't really after how much it could absorb, more along the lines of how much gives a decent whack around the head without making you fell you've gone 5 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Well... I have a half a bottle of TH Dickensons WH. I added 6 - 10 crystals to it and find it more than enough (for me!). Each crystal is about 1mm in diameter and approx 5 to 8 mm long.

Short answer is put in a little bit - test, add more test etc. You will soon get a handle on how much does what.

I'd added 40-50 to a bottle of Speick and it still wasn't as cool as some of my other aftershaves.
But it's at a nice cooling so I might just leave it there rather than push it to eye watering levels

I'd added 40-50 to a bottle of Speick and it still wasn't as cool as some of my other aftershaves.
But it's at a nice cooling so I might just leave it there rather than push it to eye watering levels

The thoughts;
1. Your menthol is a different grade than mine.
2. Your desired level of menthol is on another level than mine.
3. Both!

The thoughts;
3. Both!
I think most of my crystals were a fair bit thinner thanks to a weeks worth of travel courtesy of Auspost, but yes I probably like it a bit cooler than most.

The thoughts;
3. Both!
I would be most interested in hearing how you grade your menth my friend :)