Mike's Shaving Soap

Hocky27

Hi All,

Just wondering if there is any difference between the shave soap bars & the tins other than weight & the tin itself?

In theory would it be possible just to grab the bars & then grate them down into my own tins?

Any scents that you'd say are a must have?

Looks like I'll need to put in an order...

Hmmm...it really comes down to personal preference but since you're asking. From my collection I love Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper. Peppermint & Rosemary is just lovely in the warm summer months. Also got Lime, which is okay but don't find myself grabbing is as often as the other 2.
Hungarian Lavender is a very popular choice but I haven't had the pleasure.

@alfredus should chime in here too because he's a huge fan.

Hmmm...it really comes down to personal preference but since you're asking. From my collection I love Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper. Peppermint & Rosemary is just lovely in the warm summer months.
These two are fantastic. The P&R is a personal favourite.

I also have Bay Rum which is not bad. (But I imagine after your May MADness with Anne Bonny you'd be over Bay Rum.)

He makes a good Barbershop.

I know @Mark1966 can chime in here as his current May MADness soap is Mikes...

These two are fantastic. The P&R is a personal favourite.

I also have Bay Rum which is not bad. (But I imagine after your May MADness with Anne Bonny you'd be over Bay Rum.)

He makes a good Barbershop.

I know @Mark1966 can chime in here as his current May MADness soap is Mikes...
Rosemary & Peppermint is certainly on the list! Sounds like I'd be nice in this cooler sort of weather.

As @Lifes a Peach already mentioned, I am a huge fan of Mike's (y)

You don't have to grate the bar, you can just press it into a tin - the soap is almost like playable clay. Having said that, his tins have a perfect (large) size and if they are in stock, I would always take them.

My favourite scents: his Bay Rum (very spicy and NOT sweet at all) and Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
His Hungarian Lavender is also fantastic - probably the best pure Lavender I have ever tried.

@khun_diddy also loves his Vetiver, but I am not a big fan of Vetiver in general...

Great soap and I congratulate you already in advance :D

Thanks @alfredus I had my eye on the Lemongrass & Eucalyptus. It sounds really refreshing to me.

So many soaps & such little time!

Well you can do it like I do: only use soaps you 100% love. Why waste time on 50, 75 or even 95% if you there are enough soaps around that 100% satisfy you?

Still too many soaps, but the amount gets way more manageable :D

@alfredus agreed but then you're constantly losing money on the resale.

I guess you could look at it as an investment in shaving happiness but the P&L doesn't quite stack up.

Did I just summon Mark with an accounting reference?

Well don't buy any bad soaps in the first place - or once you have lost all the money buying soaps you don't like 100% - don't do it again :D

I think this is not only a problem in the wet shaving world - but a problem in our society in general: people don't reflect upon what they want in a product/service etc. - they let others (and mostly the advertising media or some fanboys) tell them what they should like.

Think about what you want from a product. Then try to find it. Make choices for yourself, in which areas you would compromise and in which areas not.

For example: I don't care, if a soap takes 3 min longer to lather - I am more than happy to compromise here. But I do not compromise in lather quality and post shave feel - no way. And I like not too complex scents that are with me during the shave, but then are gone straight away. That's me - and one of the results of this reflection is Mike's :D

I was also looking at getting some of his soaps as well as some Cold River soaps. I would imagine they would be great for straight razor due to the tallow and lanolin in them both.

Well don't buy any bad soaps in the first place - or once you have lost all the money buying soaps you don't like 100% - don't do it again :D

I think this is not only a problem in the wet shaving world - but a problem in our society in general: people don't reflect upon what they want in a product/service etc. - they let others (and mostly the advertising media or some fanboys) tell them what they should like.

Think about what you want from a product. Then try to find it. Make choices for yourself, in which areas you would compromise and in which areas not.

For example: I don't care, if a soap takes 3 min longer to lather - I am more than happy to compromise here. But I do not compromise in lather quality and post shave feel - no way. And I like not too complex scents that are with me during the shave, but then are gone straight away. That's me - and one of the results of this reflection is Mike's :D

See, what I am chasing are the perfect scents. I'm still trying to work out what I like/dont like in shaving soaps so there is a lot of trial and error.

See, what I am chasing are the perfect scents. I'm still trying to work out what I like/dont like in shaving soaps so there is a lot of trial and error.

Yes - thus the travelling box!

I like the Mike's Barbershop but I don't think that it is a strong scent (unlike the B&M Roam for example). It can go with most things and is pretty neutral.

I also have the Pine and Cedarwood (pine dominates - nice and crisp scent) and the Hungarian Lavender previously (not too floral)

I've used many of Mike's soaps...and regret selling them :(

They are excellent soaps with fantastic scents! I particularly loved the pine/cedarwood!! My Rose/cedar was too much cedar so that was my least favourite.

Performance wise, it's a top-shelf soap with great post-shave feel.

Just grab whichever scents you like, you can't go wrong with the performance!