Mingshi 2000S (futur clone)

+1 I have been posting a report on my experiences with the Merkur Clone on another thread in this forum. I love this razor! I also have one coming from a Chinese seller on eBay. The original came from Maggards. Starting at a low setting because of fear (LOL) I shaved this morning on the max setting of 6.1 with a fourth-day Astra SP and loved it! No nicks, cuts, weepers or rash. I cannot believe the low price of this razor!

Last edited:
I just used mine on a 2 day growth with setting no 4, no nicks just a nice close smooth shave (Astra SP).
I think these are the best bargain razors out there especially if anyone wanted to try an adjustable.

Am going to PIF my Mingshi 2000 later this week as too busy for now to photograph it.
Do I put in up for giveaway like @Mark1966 did with the Squadron soap or just list it in the PIF and first response gets it?
Or be really lazy and PIF at my next Sydney meetup?

Am going to PIF my Mingshi 2000 later this week as too busy for now to photograph it.
Do I put in up for giveaway like @Mark1966 did with the Squadron soap or just list it in the PIF and first response gets it?
Or be really lazy and PIF at my next Sydney meetup?

Entirely up to you!

What is the general consensus? I have one on the way and may pif it to a friend I got into real shaving. I may shave with it myself but no clue which blade type would work best. It is coming with some Personna blades which I believe are ok? I also have some ASCO blades I could give him.

What is the general consensus? I have one on the way and may pif it to a friend I got into real shaving. I may shave with it myself but no clue which blade type would work best. It is coming with some Personna blades which I believe are ok? I also have some ASCO blades I could give him.

I have been using Astra SP up to top setting and they were great IMHO and today tried Feathers at setting 5. One small nick but otherwise okay. I will creep up to 6 with them, though, as they were noticeably more aggressive.

@littleaussiebleeder , how would you compare the razor to other DE's you have tried? I like aggression in a razor but it must be very smooth hence a well honed straight.

About a seven to eight out of ten for smoothness. Mind you, my face is almost three quarters of a century old! I noticed after using the Feather that my face had a healthy red glow... and I' no drinker! The Astras were a bit smoother and slightly less aggressive.

It's a great razor and with an Astra SP it was very smooth, obviously at the higher setting you can feel the blade but nothing to worry about. Actually wouldn't be getting rid of it but as mentioned before it was the head size that did me. Used it three times on all the settings and just kept nicking a mole. Overtime I'd guess it wouldn't be a problem though it was to try and now moving on.
Handle grip is fine, didn't have a problem gripping it. Looks stunning, beautifully shaped.

It's a great razor and with an Astra SP it was very smooth, obviously at the higher setting you can feel the blade but nothing to worry about. Actually wouldn't be getting rid of it but as mentioned before it was the head size that did me. Used it three times on all the settings and just kept nicking a mole. Overtime I'd guess it wouldn't be a problem though it was to try and now moving on.
Handle grip is fine, didn't have a problem gripping it. Looks stunning, beautifully shaped.

Yes... it is a bit big for shaving under my nose! Solved this by having a second razor, an L6 Lord at the basin for top lip shaving only, using a Shark which I like best with the L6. I agree that it looks stunning, too. It is sitting in front of me on my desk as I write this, laying next to a Slim. It looks huge compared to my previous rotation favourite. Yes, I rank the clone that highly!

Last edited:
24dafeaa2120d2d3f86df3879fea66ca.jpg
b215929d1c46daa99a57a62884303912.jpg

610e9bcf38344d72c7bfeedf8678e4a1.jpg
a269176f7ec27b2568d1a887f7ced988.jpg

Wow... blown away by a sub$10 razor. Feels very solid. Chrome plating is mostly uniform, with the only things I could possibly fault is one non-uniform thing I can't even get a photo of, and under top cap slight brassing. These are things I probably wouldn't complain about on a futur, let alone a $10 job. Blade loading was fine, and alignment hasn't been an issue (unloaded and reloaded about 5 times). Adjustment is smooth, and seems to be consistent across the range. Will shave in the morning and report back.

7eb22c408b12edc8d025f324a946fc5e.jpg

Package includes apache blades by personna? and a brush.

Last edited:
Well the slow boat from China wasn't so slow and arrived late today. To quote @Korbz WOW!! What a stunning razor and excellent blade alignment. Under $10, delivered with tracking to my door.

The shave: I have never been a fan of DE's but this one is sensational. Smooth and mildly terrifying at the same time. I used an ASCO blade and it was really comfortable. Started on 1 and it didn't feel comfortable so dialed it up to 3 and it was so smooth. Now I don't want to sound like I enjoyed a DE shave but - I did :)
The gap looks "challenging" and the head design is of course excellent. As others observe though it is a bit big for under the nose but all the whiskers are gone.
The method for changing the adjustment does seem a recipe for sliced thumb pads. Hold the head with a cloth as you adjust it.

It cost $10 and is amazing value. I won't change to being a DE shaver but I will definitely keep it in my arms reach in case I have a blunt straight at the start of a shave.

My verdict is if you want a very well made, comfortable and stylish adjustable razor you will not waste your $10. [Actually $8.80]

Steve

@Korbz I want to see some lather shots with that new brush of yours.

Though seriously it is ridiculous that we have such a cheap, beautiful, well made and highly efficient adjustable razor available to anyone.
Great first starter razor to learn and progress their skills.

Well the slow boat from China wasn't so slow and arrived late today. To quote @Korbz WOW!! What a stunning razor and excellent blade alignment. Under $10, delivered with tracking to my door.

The shave: I have never been a fan of DE's but this one is sensational. Smooth and mildly terrifying at the same time. I used an ASCO blade and it was really comfortable. Started on 1 and it didn't feel comfortable so dialed it up to 3 and it was so smooth. Now I don't want to sound like I enjoyed a DE shave but - I did :)
The gap looks "challenging" and the head design is of course excellent. As others observe though it is a bit big for under the nose but all the whiskers are gone.
The method for changing the adjustment does seem a recipe for sliced thumb pads. Hold the head with a cloth as you adjust it.

It cost $10 and is amazing value. I won't change to being a DE shaver but I will definitely keep it in my arms reach in case I have a blunt straight at the start of a shave.

My verdict is if you want a very well made, comfortable and stylish adjustable razor you will not waste your $10. [Actually $8.80]

Steve
Please bring it along to the next meet-up!

Ok, first shave down. Awesome. Paired with a Rapira Chrome straight from the pack. Started on 3 and probably comparable to the Rockwell on 3. Very little blade feel but vocal. Went to 3.5 for xtg and 4 for AtG. Smooth the whole way through, and I really didn't need the last pass TBH, was already DFS. Last pass just ensured BBS.

I don't know how long it will last but looks like as long as any other zamak razor. At this price, I'll certainly have a few at hand for newbies I'm trying to convert, and will find itself in my rotation.