Review Mister Brand Lemon Punch Shaving Soap

Arnold J Rimmer

2017 Sabbatical Fail
Artisan Producer
Found here: https://www.themisterbrand.com/product/lemon-punch-shave-soap/?v=6cc98ba2045f

I was given this shaving puck for Christmas by a family member.

As per the link, the puck comes wrapped, and inside a two-piece aluminium canister.

The smell really is excellent, and I was keen to get this puck wet, and into action.

At this point, I will say that I lathered this soap in the canister it lives in. I do this for all the soaps I use, so the comparisons I will make are as like-for-like as possible.

Using a badger brush (the same Chinese cheapy that I have always used) I applied the usual gentle pressure to the soap, and lathered up for 10 seconds or so, to get the soap right in to the bristles. A lot of light lather, but it doesn't look like the results I get from Proraso green, or B&M Bay Rum. The lather from these is very thick, and stays on the brush for the entire shave.

Not so with Mister Brand Lemon Punch. Within 5-6 minutes of applying to my face, the brush was clear, and so was my face! No lather to be seen. Proraso will dry like chalk on my face if I let it. B&M stays smoother for much longer, and has never needed re-application. Same with Latha.

To make matters worse for me, I used the Wester straight, and paid for it with a little more claret than I would have hoped. The blade is superbly sharp but it still bounced, which we know doesn't happen with good lather. Fortunately, my technique was light tonight, so I didn't carve this turkey to the bone...

I used it for 2 passes, and the second was the same as the first. A lot of fizz, but it vanished in minutes.

I really wanted this soap to be a winner, but I have to say that it needs some work. The smell for me is unique and pleasant, however it is more bubbles than lather.

I would have to say no, in it's current form.

Afford them your feedback, as it's the only way we can eradicate bad performers, that are likely nothing more than relabelled bath soaps.

Ingredients: Saponified oils of macadamia nut, coconut, castor bean and olive; cocoa butter, Australian kaolin clay and essential oils.

Cannot say I am surprised that a shaving soap containing olive oil had the lather disappear. Generally this is the death knell of a shaving soap and is your warning to stay away.

Also, adding Kaolin Clay does not make a bath soap into a shaving soap. It is disappointing to see a local maker start adding it to be honest, it just shows how little they know about soapmaking for shaving.

Thanks for the warning @Arnold J Rimmer. Yet another one to avoid, seems to be more of them with the 'more oils is better' idea except they fail to understand not all oils and fats belong in shave soap.

Cannot say I am surprised that a shaving soap containing olive oil had the lather disappear. Generally this is the death knell of a shaving soap and is your warning to stay away.

Good point. If it had been me purchasing it, then perhaps I would have be more careful. Generally I like rum on my face anyway, or menthol.

I'll drop them a line, and let them know. Can I assume they are not members here?