Mitchell's Wool Fat Hydration Method

SpeedyPC

NEEDS more soaps ...
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
G'day ;)

I've found another great solution for Mitchell's Wool Fat and thanks to a user name PLANofMAN's from The Shave Den forum website in the shave soaps section a topic call "MWF Hydration Method', and I thought I should share this for those who have Mitchell's Wool Fat may find it difficult to lather and this method works like magic please trust me I've tried this method.

See the original topic from PLANofMAN's:- http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/planofmans-mwf-hydration-method.46346/

PLANofMAN said:
My method speeds up the natural process of adding water to the puck and having the puck absorb water over time, which is what happens if you use Mitchell's Wool Fat several times a week.

Back when I first proposed this method, I didn't take pictures, but after the course of several years, I eventually used up all my MWF. This time, I took pictures. :)

(Edit: MWF is also rebranded and sold as Kent Luxury Shave Soap and Bluebeard's Revenge)

The ideal container for MWF, is unsurprisingly, the MWF ceramic soap dish.

Several minutes after covering the new MWF puck with water. (Fill the container almost to the top).
IMG_20150805_235019462_zpsqhavifwe.jpg

After 12 hours.
IMG_20150806_120513149_zpsstwccd8a.jpg

After 24 hours I pour off the water on top of the puck, leaving the little that remains on the sides.
IMG_20150807_023259175_zpsb0cqhsgd.jpg

At this point, the puck has absorbed almost all of the water it can hold. It has swollen to almost fill the container, and the edges of the lid barely touch the top of the soap. After the puck has absorbed the remaining water, or the water evaporates off the top of the puck, whichever comes first, it will be ready for use.

I'm convinced that the good people at Mitchell's envisioned their soap filling these containers. The size of the ceramic dish isn't a coincidence. It is perfectly sized to hold an unused, fully hydrated puck of MWF.

After 29 hours, the puck had completely filled the bowl. I poured off the remaining water and rinsed off the puck. I then loaded my 20mm New Forest 2-Band on it for 7 seconds, then lathered it in a bowl for about a minute.
IMG_20150807_050821035_zpsarzeel5z.jpg

Good to go!
Edit: That's enough lather for three passes, but people expect to see "results!"
So...Here's the 26mm Stirling Soap Co. synthetic, also loaded for 7 seconds and lathered for a minute to a minute and a half. I forgot to keep track the second time around.
IMG_20150807_052254066_zpswv2wte2u_edit_1438950309082_zpsjp43lubs.jpg

That's enough lather to shave my dog. I did squeeze out the brush for the second photo, as the Sterling will release the lather on the face, but tends to swallow it otherwise.

I'll give you a warning about this. The first puck I had I did this to make it fit the bowl. I was also told it would dry out and crack up if left to dry out so I made sure I left the puck wet after use (sprinkle some water ontop). It wasn't too long I found that I could not get a good lather no matter how little water I used. The puck had simply got too wet. I tried drying it out but it was still ruined. In despiration I left it in the sun for a few days. I did indeed dry out and crack up but still, crap lather. It was light and foamy (not unlike the above picture) and it had lost a lot of slickness.

Pucks since then have had their bum wet and then placed into the bowl so they stick. From there on, I do not bloom, I do not soak and have had great thick, dense, slick lather since. If it bothers you, by all means soak it so it fills the bowl, but don't get to carried away.

I've no MWF to hydrate, if required, yet I'd at least ask it, it's preferred beverage first ;)

I said it in the linked thread and I'll say it again...there's absolutely no need to soak/hydrate Mitchell's.

Ignore what the proto lather looks like...Just keep loading until you feel the friction in your brush and you know there's plenty of soap. Then just lather as usual, adding water by dipping the tips in water.

I've only had issues with bore water but that applied to every soap I used with that water. Mitchell's has worked in all cities and countries I've used it.

I don't soak, don't bloom, don't even wet the top prior to use. I find keeping it as dry as possible ensures the beautiful scent is present until the final lather.

I said it in the linked thread and I'll say it again...there's absolutely no need to soak/hydrate Mitchell's.

Ignore what the proto lather looks like...Just keep loading until you feel the friction in your brush and you know there's plenty of soap. Then just lather as usual, adding water by dipping the tips in water.

I've only had issues with bore water but that applied to every soap I used with that water. Mitchell's has worked in all cities and countries I've used it.

I don't soak, don't bloom, don't even wet the top prior to use. I find keeping it as dry as possible ensures the beautiful scent is present until the final lather.

Right on the money there.