Mixing & Matching Scents

tim33z

King of 'Spoilers' 2019!
Grand Society
2018 Sabbatical Fail
I know I’ll get a lot of differing opinions here but I want to throw this out there and with @todras holding a sale on older items, I thought now would be a good time to ask.

Is it acceptable to use different soaps, splashes and fragrances for a daily shave?

I personally mix my aftershaves up and don’t always have the corresponding ‘partner’ for a given soap, but it’s got me thinking, if I was to use say the Florian splash, would this go well or not with say a Bombora EDT. Not asking for specifically these scents, but I know for me, the APR splashes tend to have decent staying power so I’m curious if a different parfum would clash in a negative way. Or does it overpower any splash to become the main player?

Look forward to some replies as I’m a real novice on the Parfum side of “shaving”.
Cheers,
Tim

Is it acceptable to use different soaps, splashes and fragrances for a daily shave?

Absolutely it is, half the fun of my daily shaves is mixing and matching my soaps and splashes to find what works be it AP Reserve or from other artisan friends from the US and Spain.

I always keep it seasonal though, I can't stand using winter scents in the middle of summer - I see this manifest most often with people using shipping services to import Winter seasonal releases from the US in our summertime and then using them straight away, personally I find nothing worse than a mismatched fragrance for the wrong season, aside from being gauche they just never work. Winter compositions use much heavier oils, brooding fragrances of longevity that smell offensive in the heat of summer - there is a reason the perfume retailers in Australia promote and sell different types of fragrances at different times of the year...seasonality!

There is an important distinction to be made; artisan's such as B&M, Chatillon Lux, Wholly Kaw, Caties Bubbles, Talbot & myself for example are making real compositions using AC's and EO's rather than say buying a bottle of fragrance oil and selling their 'efforts'. With these fragrance oil affairs from a couple of the 'players' (brown Boston bottles and a sticker most often) there really is no distinction to be made as to season as you will only have 3 or 4 aroma chemicals in them to begin with, they work by the deluge effect so you can wear them year round as there is zero nuance to be had anyway and not one single note of truth in their fragrance descriptions either.

Last edited:
@tim33z I do it all of the time. Most soaps can't be smelt a hour or so later on my skin. But I do not use a soap and scent/splash that are polar opposites and out of season.
Go nuts! ;)

This may be a way to try all of the (APRs) limited releases, buy the EDT to use with one of the dozen soaps I have already somehow acquired.
I imagine the EDT would run out much faster than a full tub of soap. No more FOMO 😀

This may be a way to try all of the (APRs) limited releases, buy the EDT to use with one of the dozen soaps I have already somehow acquired.
I imagine the EDT would run out much faster than a full tub of soap. No more FOMO 😀
Depends on how heavily you load the soap. Some members here who shall nor be named only get around 20 shaves from a single tub of soap.....

Depends on how heavily you load the soap. Some members here who shall nor be named only get around 20 shaves from a single tub of soap.....
Good lord, i still havent hit the bittom on a pro-raso i have. I weighed it before and after a shave, i only use 1.5 - 2 gm per shave. Should i drastically up my loading game?

Good lord, i still havent hit the bittom on a pro-raso i have. I weighed it before and after a shave, i only use 1.5 - 2 gm per shave. Should i drastically up my loading game?
Personally most of my lathering is done on the soap pick itself. I probably spend 1-2 minutes lathering on the soap puck before moving to face lathering to get the consistency I like. I have found that this has significantly improved the quality and consistency of the lather I produce and a much better and more enjoyable shave overall.

Personally most of my lathering is done on the soap pick itself. I probably spend 1-2 minutes lathering on the soap puck before moving to face lathering to get the consistency I like. I have found that this has significantly improved the quality and consistency of the lather I produce and a much better and more enjoyable shave overall.
I reckon this fits my usage as well. Once loaded with what looks like enough, keep at it with little pressure, add a dash of water and build it up before transferring to the face.

Back to the using of scents of differing aftershaves and Edt/EdP for daily use, it seems as per @todras suggestion above, keeping it summer with summer and winter with winter is enough.

As you all probably picked up on, i'm on a binge to use the same soap constantly until done, to (1) learn the soap backwards, and (2) create room for more. Must be said, its working on both counts. Though, seeing my tub of Texaus in a completely unused state brings tears to my eyes...

It has got me curious as to who these "players" are with their Boston brown bottles...:unsure:
Hope i don't have any....

I use the splashes sparingly. Still got plenty of the Skye Fall splash and was wondering what would be a suitable APR soap replacement when the Skye Fall soap runs out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

I use the splashes sparingly. Still got plenty of the Skye Fall splash and was wondering what would be a suitable APR soap replacement when the Skye Fall soap runs out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)
Ozymandias?? I haven't got the soap, but do have the splash

Ozymandias or Fenchurch would work just fine, as would Winterfall.