Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
So what is all the hype about?

I have NOT purchased one of these, but borrowed one from a Canberra based B&B member to give it a run.

First attempt? - Slash and burn! Wow did I cut myself up in a way not done for ages. I thought that this would be similar to the Eclipse I've been using as my standard - they look kinda similar - but certainly not.

The angle is all different and far less forgiving. Having said all that the result was, apart from nicks and burn, the best I've had in ages.

Day Two - little better but stuff nicks and burn

Day Three - Five - I was away travelling and using my old Sensor Excel so...

Day Six - I approached the Muhle with some fear. Sensational shave - only one nick when I lapsed in concentration for a moment.

Day Seven - Nice - same as Day Six

Conclusion? This is a great razor BUT not one I'm going to rush and get and certainly not one for everyday use.

In my context a worse look than a slightly less close shave is a cut up face. With this razor that is always not far away for me at least (you might be better). So I can't take the risk on this when I have meetings - it is not worth it.

I might get one for occasion use but even saving for a special occasion is problematic. I can't guarantee I wouldn't make a mistake and then ouch.

So there you go. Our first R41 2011 post :D

.......I might get one for occasion use but even saving for a special occasion is problematic.......

I would have thought that at least one in your vast collection would do the same job. Sounds the equivalent of a very aggressive open comb.

Pj stop inflating your post count with doubles, or I shall have to drop off more brushes for you to restore.

Just had another IT moment. Actually the modem was reset. Or something like that.

In any case I find it hard to believe that there's anything new between heaven and earth when it comes to razors. Razor design has been done to death. Gillette and many others have done it all before.

I think mark needs a GEM open comb micromatic to compare this razor to. Sound like in the same ballpark.

I feel a circlejerk coming on :laugh:

Been tempted with one.... had a closer look and the head shares some similarities with the standard EJ/Muhle head, it seems to be quite different.

Can be had for less than $40 delivered, and considering the prices of vintage gillettes these days (and that is all Mark's fault anyway) then it seems like a decent deal if they are as aggressive as what is said.

I feel a circlejerk coming on :laugh:

Been tempted with one.... had a closer look and the head shares some similarities with the standard EJ/Muhle head, it seems to be quite different.

Can be had for less than $40 delivered, and considering the prices of vintage gillettes these days (and that is all Mark's fault anyway) then it seems like a decent deal if they are as aggressive as what is said.

Sounds like the train is building up some steam here...:D

.........Can be had for less than $40 delivered, and considering the prices of vintage gillettes these days............

If you're chasing collector grade rarities you've got little chance but $40 is about all Glen spent on a dozen user grade vintage Gillettes. Admittedly they need a bit of polishing but still. If you're chasing an aggressive razor I'm sure you could find a Red Tip tto for less than that. Just trying to prevent a circle jerk.

Decent Slims or Fatboys regularly go for that sort of coin these days..... any cheaper and you run the chance of getting one with a broken adjuster or uneven blade gaps.

I like my R41. It's bitten me a few times, I've tamed it somewhat, and there's a long way to go before claiming irritation-free DFS, but I do like it. It's a nice instrument and a nice contrast to the Merkur HD I had before and the R89 I have now.