Muhle R95 Rocca Birch Bark Appreciation Thread

Having recently used the R41 you really notice the weight differenceand build quality as the satin finish SS feels really nice.

Judging by some pictures I saw on the Muhle website I assumed the Birch Bark was just a sheet coating over the SS handle so the weight difference between the various handles shouldn't be too significant...? :unsure:

should be the same as the carbon coating on the black on I have.. I dont like the R41 with original handle, way to light.. i use a Yaqi brass handle on the R41 head. going to try this for SOTD today, so i have a fresh compare against the rocca.. how did you find the difference between the two?

should be the same as the carbon coating on the black on I have.. I dont like the R41 with original handle, way to light.. i use a Yaqi brass handle on the R41 head. going to try this for SOTD today, so i have a fresh compare against the rocca.. how did you find the difference between the two?
Yeah I assume the coating would be the same as I understand the weight matches the black R96?
I use the R41 with original handle and normally don't mind the weight myself but its noticeable when using the SS Rocca.
Muhle did a great job producing their SS razor as the satin finish is a vast improvement over the R89/R41.
The Rocca looks and feels modern with the superior shave when paired with a Wizamet SI blade.
Where the R41 wins is on blade feel which gives you the illusion that it shaves closer due to the semi-OC base plate but I also noticed patches of regrowth on the troublesome spots 12hrs later requiring a touchup shave, whereas the Rocca's smoothness means more even regrowth and better chances at skipping a shave.
Personally I enjoy the comfort from the Rocca over the harshness from the R41 and find the Rocca performs effortlessly as opposed to the R41 where I'm more inclined to use small strokes with greater risk for blood letting and irritation. The Wizamet helped tame the R41 and after some patience I managed a BBS shave.
There's a place for the R41 but the Rocca wins overall as its a daily shaver and I look forward to upping the efficiency when paired with a sharper blade.
I commend Muhle for sticking with the Rocca as it has offered me consistently BBS shaves each time! :love:

Did you sell the GC.84 because of the Rocca or the CG or both.
How is the Rocca compared to the CG?
I sold the Game Changer & Wunderbar slant and invested the $$$ into the Rocca.
I would happily keep both as they offer great shaves but since adding the Smart Helix Apollo & Charcoal Goods Level 2, they've see less use as has most of my razor collection.
Wishing to try the Rocca I was instructed by the Minister of Finance that I needed to lose a few razors before any future purchases so had to sacrifice a few to make way for the Rocca.
As a comparison - the Smart Helix Apollo shaves as smooth as the Game Changer with 2 levels of efficiency and quality wise is top shelf. More similar to the Wunderbar.
The Charcoal Goods Level 2 shaves in between and Gen 1 Antique Brass has been my Holy Grail razors since Day 1 so had to have one in my collection.
As for the Rocca - surprisingly well built and shaves smoothly with excellent efficiency and probably the last razor I'll buy unless I can convince the misses that I need a Wolfman when my name is drawn mid next year...?

I thought you’ve stopped bloody chasing a BBS

Bloody
Bullshit
Shave

I never seek a BBS as it requires effort but lately the shaves with my new razors + better blades have seen BBS results hence the desire to sell some quality razors that aren't getting the love!

Lately the Wizamet have provided me with super smooth and close shaves WTG, XTG & ATG so greater chance for a BBS! (y) saying that I also enjoy a good DFS with the other razors. ;)

I never seek a BBS as it requires effort but lately the shaves with my new razors + better blades have seen BBS results hence the desire to sell some quality razors that aren't getting the love!

Lately the Wizamet have provided me with super smooth and close shaves WTG, XTG & ATG so greater chance for a BBS! (y) saying that I also enjoy a good DFS with the other razors. ;)
I think you better try many different blades as you can with your Rocca as YMMV ;)

I think you better try many different blades as you can with your Rocca as YMMV ;)
Yeah looking forward to experimenting with sharper blades (Nacet, Bic, Feather) in future shaves!

Yeah looking forward to experimenting with sharper blades (Nacet, Bic, Feather) in future shaves!
Don’t forget to try out the low crappie blades, unless you’re not going to kinda paint scraping your skin off with a gem blade idea. Otherwise Freddy would love to sit down next to you together for a fantastic family photo bloodbath shave.

Yeah I assume the coating would be the same as I understand the weight matches the black R96?
I use the R41 with original handle and normally don't mind the weight myself but its noticeable when using the SS Rocca.
Muhle did a great job producing their SS razor as the satin finish is a vast improvement over the R89/R41.
The Rocca looks and feels modern with the superior shave when paired with a Wizamet SI blade.
Where the R41 wins is on blade feel which gives you the illusion that it shaves closer due to the semi-OC base plate but I also noticed patches of regrowth on the troublesome spots 12hrs later requiring a touchup shave, whereas the Rocca's smoothness means more even regrowth and better chances at skipping a shave.
Personally I enjoy the comfort from the Rocca over the harshness from the R41 and find the Rocca performs effortlessly as opposed to the R41 where I'm more inclined to use small strokes with greater risk for blood letting and irritation. The Wizamet helped tame the R41 and after some patience I managed a BBS shave.
There's a place for the R41 but the Rocca wins overall as its a daily shaver and I look forward to upping the efficiency when paired with a sharper blade.
I commend Muhle for sticking with the Rocca as it has offered me consistently BBS shaves each time! :love:

I found a place for my R41.......... the bench :) Not to be unfair to the R41, as this is where most of my razors may end up.. The Rocca is king !!!

The R41 gave a very close shave, but it felt like more of a 'get it done' shave compared with the feeling of joy I get when using the Rocca.

I found a place for my R41.......... the bench :) Not to be unfair to the R41, as this is where most of my razors may end up.. The Rocca is king !!!

The R41 gave a very close shave, but it felt like more of a 'get it done' shave compared with the feeling of joy I get when using the Rocca.
I think you summed it up perfectly... 'get it done' compared with joy!
The Rocca is king !!! :cool:

Looks like I was right to move my R41 on when I did. I agree with the "getting it done" sentiment. I had the R41 as a great daily driver for a long time, but it was never what I would call a smooth ride. I'll look forward to rocking with the Rocca in 2022.

Looks like I was right to move my R41 on when I did. I agree with the "getting it done" sentiment. I had the R41 as a great daily driver for a long time, but it was never what I would call a smooth ride. I'll look forward to rocking with the Rocca in 2022.
I’m NEVER going to sell or give up my R41, it’s going to stay in my den and the same with my R89 both are NOT for sale.

Also the same for EJ DE89 and the 3one6 both aren’t leaving my den.

Muhle did a great job producing their SS razor as the satin finish is a vast improvement over the R89/R41
One is pot metal and the other is CNCd stainless. Sorry but no contest. 'Vast improvement' is still an understatement :cool:
Yes, absolutely it’s far better than spending a $350 AUD directly from Canada. While the v4.0 Rocca shave like a bloody true KING! and it’s cheaper than the Wolfy.
AND readily available, no waiting lists, differing handle materials, can buy on a discount and sell it without a profit (and loss). :p

So I need a Mühle Rocca 95 too!
Where are our group buy Champions hiding @Mark1966?

Last edited:
One is pot metal and the other is CNCd stainless. Sorry but no contest. 'Vast improvement' is still an understatement :cool:

AND readily available, no waiting lists, differing handle materials, can buy on a discount and sell it without a profit (and loss). :p

So I need a Mühle Rocca 95 too!
Where are our group buy Champions hiding @Mark1966?

Now we’re talking.. a birch handle group buy 👍