Muhle R95 Rocca Birch Bark Appreciation Thread

Alright, I'm going to have to go against @Errol here..

The Rocca has to date been the best shave I've had.

100% not what I would call aggressive, I would place it as being the starting level of efficient.

I have the 6C, the smoothness was equivalent to the 3 plate but it cut like I had the 5 plate.

Unbelievable.

Maybe my shaving style suits this razor more than others and I've finally found my holy grail?

I teamed it with the Green Astra and some Stirling Intrepid, it just glided through my beard with no cuts, weepers or irritation.

I wish I had this from the start. I wouldn't have bought the 6C to be honest.

Fantastic.

Nice write up and really happy you love it!!

I pretty much felt the same, like I found my grail so snatched up all three models asap

I’ve tried German wilkies, polsilver/wizamet, Gillette yellow and feathers.. they are all excellent but my favourites are Gillette yellow sharp edge and wizamets.. found they both give super smooth hassle free bbs shaves, with the yellows a littler sharper

50677579003_d0ac026c4f_b.jpg

I've got a sneaking suspicion you really like Proraso..

Value for money, their stuff is great. The green was my favourite as well followed by the red and last place the white.

I still use their balm, it's great

Not really.. their soap in a tub I don’t like at all, it was my first soap in DE so from time to time I get it out to only be disappointed again..

I do like the splashes of both red and green but what I don’t like is that they don’t last at all, quite weak scents

The straight edge cream lines are decent.. I really love the scent of proraso red and it’s sort of similar to fine absolut santal which is an excellent soap and the splash has excellent staying power

So I decided to play in traffic and pop a Feather blade in it..

How has an "efficient" razor managed to tame the beast??

No weepers, no rash, no nothing apart from a really close shave.

I know it was a close shave because my face exploded with the Stirling splash I threw on it after.

I'll be waiting for the next fad to come through so I can get one of these for cheap :)

hahah good thinking 99.

I waited through many fads before I jumped on this thing. It was worth the leap.

Like I said previously, I was sold on the EJ 3One6 but when I finally held it, I'm so glad I didn't grab one solely because the handle is too thin.

The R94 I have now is superb. My 6C has been parked up in the cupboard for a while now.

So I decided to play in traffic and pop a Feather blade in it..

How has an "efficient" razor managed to tame the beast??

No weepers, no rash, no nothing apart from a really close shave.

I know it was a close shave because my face exploded with the Stirling splash I threw on it after.

Make sure you try a Gillette Yellow 7'Oclock and a polsilver/wizamet also.. amazing!!

I've got the yellows which I picked up from Mensbiz in the CBD, I don't know why I haven't tried one out yet.. I'm really, really loving the feathers in there. For some reason the Feathers always seem to shine on the 2nd use.

Trust me that the yellows are ‘nearly’ as sharp but smoother than the feathers.. had a shave with a polsilver today and I had to check If there was a blade loaded 👍

Trust me that the yellows are ‘nearly’ as sharp but smoother than the feathers.. had a shave with a polsilver today and I had to check If there was a blade loaded 👍
I agree 100% as so far my testing has shown the Gillette Yellows & Rubies shave great on par with the Wizamets.
Yet to try a Feather as I find them hit or miss and the other sharp blades (Bic Chrome & Nacet) weren't as smooth. :(
Silver Blues & Platinums are smooth but don't cut as close so try a Yellow as for whatever reason they work a treat!

Is everyone using the v4 head on these?
What were the issues with the earlier releases? And how did you get replacement heads?

Is everyone using the v4 head on these?
What were the issues with the earlier releases? And how did you get replacement heads?

Mines a V3. Pretty much sorted by then.

I gather from this page that your V3 and the V4 are exactly the same head, the only change being the manufacturing method, ie MIM (V3) vs CNC milling (V4).
As @Gargravarr correctly states the only difference is MIM vs CNC with improvements made to the blade post/allignment resulting in a smoother shave. Some lucky people found no issues with earlier models but those that did either sent them back to Muhle/retailer for a replacement and the only person I'm aware of having issues getting sorted was @SpeedyPC.

I gather from this page that your V3 and the V4 are exactly the same head, the only change being the manufacturing method, ie MIM (V3) vs CNC milling (V4).

You are probably right - I've not checked it out :)

Hi Gents, I am in the minority with @Errol on this one.
Wanted to start the year with a wonderful shave and thought what better way than the R95/Wizamet combo which I have read so many accolades for.
Loved the audible feedback and feel on the cheeks but that is where the joy stopped.
Under the jawline did not remove all stubble WTG was not even close to a DFS, and the blade felt like it had a burr half way through second pass
I'll palm strop the blade and stick with it for the week to see if I can dial it in, also try Astra SP because I love the look and feel of the razor but have set the bar for a keeper at better than GC-84P and at this stage the R95 is below par without going ATG. The burred blade made it rougher than 6T8 which is my benchmark for a smooth DFS
Felt like I would have to go ATG to get under the jawline because WTG the head geometry and handle length will not allow BBS or even a DFS under the jawline.
As mentioned cheeks are wonderful BBS and loved the audible feedback and look and feel, but under the jawline may be the downfall for me.

Hi Gents, I am in the minority with @Errol on this one.
Wanted to start the year with a wonderful shave and thought what better way than the R95/Wizamet combo which I have read so many accolades for.
Loved the audible feedback and feel on the cheeks but that is where the joy stopped.
Under the jawline did not remove all stubble WTG was not even close to a DFS, and the blade felt like it had a burr half way through second pass
I'll palm strop the blade and stick with it for the week to see if I can dial it in, also try Astra SP because I love the look and feel of the razor but have set the bar for a keeper at better than GC-84P and at this stage the R95 is below par without going ATG. The burred blade made it rougher than 6T8 which is my benchmark for a smooth DFS
Felt like I would have to go ATG to get under the jawline because WTG the head geometry and handle length will not allow BBS or even a DFS under the jawline.
As mentioned cheeks are wonderful BBS and loved the audible feedback and look and feel, but under the jawline may be the downfall for me.

This is a shame and I have found the same with some other razors. Before you sell the razor and I have not read the entire thread, worth giving Gillette Yellows and Shark SS's a go if you have them as well as other blades. Also experiment if you can with different angles under the chin. I am sure you will anyway and I am probably stating the obvious. Sadly some razors just do not fit us but if you can find a way to make the razor work - just great...it sometimes takes a while to overcome the foibles of a particular razor or adjust our own technique to suit the razors idiosyncrasies.

Last edited: