Mystery Gillette Fatboy - 1957??

Greenpike

Hi all

This is my first proper post to the forum. Hoping it's all okay and you guys can help me out.

Just before Xmas I won a "vintage Gillette adjustable" on eBay that clearly was a famous Fatboy from a guy in Melbourne. Thinking it was a chance to pick one up cheap because the seller didn't mention the famous moniker I put a sneaky auction sniper bid in and won it for $57 + $8 postage. Wow. I was stoked!!

It arrived today and I'm just as stoked. It's in great condition for its age, the adjustments all seem to work etc etc... but it has a date code of C2. That would be 1957? Everywhere online is telling me that they only started being made in 1958. It should definitely have a D code on there. Do I have the first Fatboy ever made and am a millionaire? Or is there a more logical explanation? :)

I'm going to try to attach pictures to see what you guys think... any help would be gratefully appreciated. Could they have recycled a backplate?
mysteryfatboy.png

Great first 'proper' post @Greenpike :)

Yes, it would be a 'G' - the stamping can be a little uneven but if you twist it around in the light you will probably see the mark. There is also a difference in the design of the early Fatboys compared with the later ones, see here for details and examples. This should confirm you have a 'G' year - or you have a MAJOR score :)