Name our new soap - for a chance to Win a free tub.

So, after 2 weeks and a total of 190 individual entries - a winner has been decided.

I'm pleased to say, that one of our members here is the winner - congratulations to @the_shaving_sailor with his winning name 'Red Lead'.

Red Lead is the story of the ships kitten from HMAS Perth during the second world war.

It was thought to be bad luck for the ship’s cat to leave the ship, and there is an Australian story of a straying cat whose ship went down. This is the story of Red Lead, the black kitten mascot of HMAS Perth

In January 1942, HMAS Perth, with a crew of over 600 men, was tasked with preventing the Japanese advance across south-east Asia. En route they stopped at Fremantle, where, it is thought, little Red Lead joined the ship. His favourite spot was curled up in the cabin of Hec Waller, the ship’s captain.

On 27 February, HMAS Perth joined a fleet of British, Dutch and American ships to stop a Japanese naval convoy from landing on the island of Java. The allied fleet was outnumbered; its ships were picked off by Japanese planes and the heat of battle sent Red Lead to hide in his favorite place till Perth withdrew, and returned to safe harbour. It is reported that while at harbour, Red Lead tried to leave the ship, no less than three times. But in each instance he was spotted “deserting” , was intercepted, and returned to his post. The ship’s log for the day read :

"Red Lead, ship's kitten, endeavoured to desert, but was brought back on board, despite vigorous protests."

Several of Perth’s crew observed this and were dismayed, seeing Red Lead’s escape attempts as a bad omen for their future.

Very sadly, Red Lead’s instinct was proven. The next day, HMAS Perth and USS Houston sailed for the south coast of Java and met a large fleet of Japanese ships. After a desperate battle, the Perth was sunk. Over 350 men, including Captain Waller, and one little black kitten, were lost.

Red Lead was named after the pawprints she trekked through the ship after walking through red paint which annoyed the WWII sailors no end.

I'll be in touch with you @the_shaving_sailor - to organise delivery of the first tub of Red Lead.

For everyone else, as soon as I have these labels printed, it will be available for sale on my website - most likely within the next 7-10 days.

Thanks to everyone who entered!

Andy

RedLead.jpg