Need some razor advice please...

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
Well guys, I had a Karve on order but just today I asked Chris if I could cancel the order. Happily, he has done so. I have had a long wait (and just turned 71 a few days ago!) so thought I really should get a razor soon so I can start wearing it in before my time runs out. Hey. I only have maybe another 30 years left on this planet.
I would like a stainless razor (a Karve stainless would be lovely, but what's the time wait on them?).
I have just looked online for stainless razors, and I see the Timeless razor.
Any good? They look nice.
What gap? Probably .68 as I prefer a milder shave (FatBoy on 5-6, or just a tad closer than a Tech seems right to me). My Mamba is a wee bit too mild. Is the Timeless with .68 gap too much for me anyway?
Any thoughts on a reasonable quality stainless razor (it's a Birthday pressy from me to me).
Would I like a Timeless? Or are they too aggressive anyway?
What others would suit me with the general idea of 'bit more bite' than a Mamba or a Tech, without loosing smoothness?
ATT M1 maybe?
As always, yours thoughts/comments will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Happy Birthday @Blackie !
I'm probably not the best one to talk to re: razors. Someone else will be more helpful. I am looking at the Blackland Blackbird at the moment with a closed bar and OC option. I think they are medium agressive (closed bar) to aggressive (OC). The Timeless always seem to get good reviews on here.

Happy birthday @Blackie!

So a lot of guys I know have turned to the Rex Ambassador as a good, modern stainless steel option. The ability to adjust settings is what wins for me: I've owned and have been loaned Asylum, Timeless and Wolfman razors and the difficulty is ordering the right configuration (open comb / closed comb / dual comb; 0.48mm / 0.54mm / 0.61mm / 0.67mm / 0.71mm / 0.95mm et al.) first time around. This doesn't even factor into decision making on adjustable razors. Set and forget!

Well guys, I had a Karve on order but just today I asked Chris if I could cancel the order. Happily, he has done so. I have had a long wait (and just turned 71 a few days ago!) so thought I really should get a razor soon so I can start wearing it in before my time runs out. Hey. I only have maybe another 30 years left on this planet.
I would like a stainless razor (a Karve stainless would be lovely, but what's the time wait on them?).
I have just looked online for stainless razors, and I see the Timeless razor.
Any good? They look nice.
What gap? Probably .68 as I prefer a milder shave (FatBoy on 5-6, or just a tad closer than a Tech seems right to me). My Mamba is a wee bit too mild. Is the Timeless with .68 gap too much for me anyway?
Any thoughts on a reasonable quality stainless razor (it's a Birthday pressy from me to me).
Would I like a Timeless? Or are they too aggressive anyway?
What others would suit me with the general idea of 'bit more bite' than a Mamba or a Tech, without loosing smoothness?
ATT M1 maybe?
As always, yours thoughts/comments will be much appreciated.

Hi @Blackie Happy Birthday for when ever it was. Only need to get yourself a Rockkwell 6c mate with plate options your be in heaven choosing and as far as are they any good they are frigging AWESOME.............................................................

Thanks @58RW but I'd like the 6S better. Had too many zinc/chrome alloy heads rot out to like them anymore.
@huntereyes_ The Rex Ambassador looks great but $249US is lots of Kiwi pesos!
Yes, figuring out what blade gap, what cap, base combination, etc is a pain.
May have to troll through ebay for a bargain.
Edit: Eeeek, $369NZ for the Rex! So...maybe not.

Thanks @58RW but I'd like the 6S better. Had too many zinc/chrome alloy heads rot out to like them anymore.
@huntereyes_ The Rex Ambassador looks great but $249US is lots of Kiwi pesos!
Yes, figuring out what blade gap, what cap, base combination, etc is a pain.
May have to troll through ebay for a bargain.
Edit: Eeeek, $369NZ for the Rex! So...maybe not.
A Timeless stainless with a stand will cost around the same,the bronze solid bar would be around $260 and OC $280 plus post.Most of the higher end would be somewhere along those prices and above.You already mentioned the Ikon.
Blackland Blackbird a bit pricey too,Dart is the next "best" at $99 USD retail,the Rockwell 6S,Razorock Mamba and Gamechanger for $50-$60 USD and then you get into the cheaper Fendrihan stainless models

OK, I have an IKON handle sitting spare.
What about one of these?
http://www.connaughtshaving.com/ikb1dellh.html
Stainless head to match the handle, not too dear.
But, what do they shave like?
Nasty, dangerous, mild as, not worth having?
(I'm looking at options here).
They look interesting. A lot cheaper at Maggards also. https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/ikon-b1-open-comb-deluxe-stainless-steel-head-only/
Has anyone on P&C got one of these?
Looks like @lerenau has one and is happy with it. See link.
ikon has them on special with handle. https://www.ikonrazors.com/shop/ikon-razors/b1-open-comb-deluxe/

OK, I have an IKON handle sitting spare.
What about one of these?
http://www.connaughtshaving.com/ikb1dellh.html
Stainless head to match the handle, not too dear.
But, what do they shave like?
Nasty, dangerous, mild as, not worth having?
(I'm looking at options here).
Hi @Blackie,

I actually have one of these. It was the first second-hand razor I ever bought.
I originally bought it for the iKon Bulldog handle it came with. But, I ended up loving the razor as a whole.

It is an open-comb, and as such is always more aggressive by default. However, it is noticeably milder than the Gillette New I bought from you a ways back.
The black plating does a really good job of reducing friction. But, mine had a couple of small chips in it when I got it. So, it's not totally impervious.

Also, that link you sent seems very expensive... I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much.

They look interesting. A lot cheaper at Maggards also. https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/ikon-b1-open-comb-deluxe-stainless-steel-head-only/
Has anyone on P&C got one of these?
Looks like @lerenau has one and is happy with it. See link.
ikon has them on special with handle. https://www.ikonrazors.com/shop/ikon-razors/b1-open-comb-deluxe/
Har!
Nice timing... I hadn't seen your post when I started writing mine.
Yes, those prices look far better.

My summary:
An excellent Open-Comb razor if you can find it at the right price.
But, I don't think it would be my only razor.
Though, I could live with the iKon B1OC + Rockwell 6S.

Totally................
giphy.gif

Hi @Blackie,

I originally bought it for the iKon Bulldog handle it came with. But, I ended up loving the razor as a whole.

It is an open-comb, and as such is always more aggressive by default. However, it is noticeably milder than the Gillette New I bought from you a ways back.
The black plating does a really good job of reducing friction. But, mine had a couple of small chips in it when I got it. So, it's not totally impervious.

Also, that link you sent seems very expensive... I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much.
Milder than the Gillette New! I thought the Gillette New was mild.

Hi @Blackie,

What's the blade allignment like @lerenau as the Shavecraft (Aluminium) versions iKon produce often have QC issues...?
@Blackie - IMHO avoid the iKon unless you can find the B1 head as 'seconds' they're not really worth it. Ultimately it comes down to what you're willing to spend vs the premium offerings as they all cost a lot to ship to AUS (conversion rates). I'm sure whatever you decide will make you happy and when in doubt you could always get the 6S as it really is a fantastic alternative to the more expensive competition... Happy shaves :)

Another consideration is that a Merkur Progress is not SS but at Au $85 plus postage,but less G.S.T.,you would get at least 10 years work out of it.
That means you could replace it in due course and still be ahead financially,noting that you still may not like what you eventually purchase and may drop a bundle.
Incidentally what is the postage on a razor from Au?,compare it to Maggards and Connaught

I know it's not exactly what you were asking about but I just wanted to put my hand up in support of the Rockwell. I have the 6c and I am delighted with the shave. It was razor that made double edge shaving really click for me, at a reasonable price too.

I will admit it's not really a lust inducing design. Don't get me wrong it looks and feels good but the Blackbird really gets my juices going :love:. One day Blackbird you will be mine!

Milder than the Gillette New! I thought the Gillette New was mild.
Not at all. I find the New quite aggressive - ie: lots of harsh blade. My B1 is much gentler. Yet, being an open comb, it still plows through long whiskers without slowing down.

My skin is very thin. So, I am more sensitive to aggression than most.
I wonder if that explains my temper... Hmmm.

"Your honour, in my defence, my epidermis is shallow..."

Did you buy that really nice Gillette New LC from Blackie? I regretted not buying that and ended up buying one off Etsy. That Gillette New would make some nice SOTD photos. Hint hint. I find my Gillette New LC mild. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯