Need some razor advice please...

Just to comment a bit further and having owned/tried most of the razors you are inquiring about:

For me the Timeless (similar to the Rockwell BTW) has a far too large head, making it rather rigid and a pain to use under the nose.

I prefer flat heads, but they can only be successfully achieved with perfect manufacturing - else the blade will not be held tightly enough and you get blade chatter.

And I try to offer solutions which are available and don't break the bank.

The Rex is great - but expensive. I got mine in a group buy for under 200US$ delivered - and that hurt already with the current exchange rate...but it is a great razor and if you can swing it definitely a safe choice. I use mine at 2-3 so I think there is definitely a setting on the razor you will like.

You can get an ATT S1 for 185$ with the 30day money back guarantee or you get one for 160.80 on the returns page. You don't see any differences and since they are now always in stock, there might be more often than not brand new anyway - you just don't have the return option. Or you look at various BST's - you might get them for ~125US$ used these days.

For me it is the most versatile razor I have - it can deal with a weeks and more growth easily, gives you super smooth and close shaves and is just a great all-rounder. It's not as flashy as a Wolfman, but in terms of manufacturing tolerances for me the next best thing. It has been my trusted travel razor for quiet a while now and I don't see that changing any time soon. I know it is not the most sought after razor at the moment, because there is so much out there...but for me still a fantastic razor.

The ATT M1 is too mild - similar to the Mamba for me.

I haven't tried the Gamechanger (yet???), but the Mamba was too mild for me - I like the Baby Smooth, but that's not available and was never offered in stainless...

Never had much luck with IKON razors and reading about the black coating from @lerenau already chipping away, is not very assuring. The ones I tried were also rather aggressive.

I have not tried the Blackbird, but I believe it is way more aggressive than what you are looking for. I will have a go in the coming weeks at a Dart...but again think it will be too aggressive.

The poor man's Wolfman - Guerrilla - is another great razor for me: smooth, yet very efficient and just perfectly manufactured. Yes the BBS-1 is even better, but I am guessing you don't want to sell your car for razor. I think it is ~200CAD which in my books is a bargain for a razor from James

BTW for me most Techs are often inefficient AND harsh ;)

That Gillette New would make some nice SOTD photos. Hint hint. I find my Gillette New LC mild. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
To be fair, I am overdue for a SOTD as well as a shave with the New... I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

Many well considered answers there. Thanks guys.
@lerenau yes we need to see some NEW photos please.
Have you tried the straights yet?
I'll check out the ATT site today. Thanks guys about the IKON QC problems.
My Shavecraft 101 was fine, and gave a great shave, but it was an early model. I don't remember but maybe 10 years old?
Maybe standards have dropped since then.
Dart is too aggressive, so Blackbirds are out.
I will let you know when I find that last final best-ever razor.
Edit: OK, so I checked out ATT site.
What about a slant?
This may be what I need?
https://www.abovethetie.com/collect...-slant-open-comb-stainless-steel-safety-razor
Good idea, bad idea?

Last edited:
Many well considered answers there. Thanks guys.
@lerenau yes we need to see some NEW photos please.
Have you tried the straights yet?
I'll check out the ATT site today. Thanks guys about the IKON QC problems.
My Shavecraft 101 was fine, and gave a great shave, but it was an early model. I don't remember but maybe 10 years old?
Maybe standards have dropped since then.
Dart is too aggressive, so Blackbirds are out.
I will let you know when I find that last final best-ever razor.
Edit: OK, so I checked out ATT site.
What about a slant?
This may be what I need?
https://www.abovethetie.com/collect...-slant-open-comb-stainless-steel-safety-razor
Good idea, bad idea?
Mate,the ATT slant is a very popular razor,however the s1 is possibly a tad milder than the o/c s2.
If you order both heads you can return the one (or both)heads after trying them out for 30 days

The S2 (open comb) is supposedly more aggressive than the S1 (safety bar) slant...it is one of the very few ATT heads I have not tried.

I have never been a fan of open comb razors, so I never bothered. The S1 works great for me, so I am pretty sure the S2 is too much...but your experience might be different...

The Pils is of course another possibility - but I'd assume it might be too pricey

I endorse @alfredus's comments on the ATT S1 - it is very comfortable, but quite efficient. Also, despite the smaller blade gap, the slant design allows it to handle heavy growth. A great all-rounder.

For me personally the S1 is almost as efficient as the R1 but way smoother and more enjoyable.

Slants are generally considered to be aggressive - this one is definitely smooth. I think the only problem with it is, people think it is too mild - but that's just the feel of it, it is very efficient.

Anyway, unfortunately you will only know for sure once you had ~10 shaves with it...