New member snd new DE razer user

Dale

Hello all, Dale from Aus here.

I've been using 5 bladed shick razers for years and decided to try a DE razer as I shave my head and it causes a bit of irritation.

I had it in my head for a few years that I wanted to get a straight razer but the maintainance seems like a lot. After the latest insane gillete ad I saw a lot of comments about DE razers and decided to jump in....I know shick is not gilette but he value argument against multi bladed razers won me over too.

My brother works for shaver shop and he gave me some stuff he got for free a while ago: silver tipped badger brush and holder and 2 200g containters of wahl shaving cream, but I used shaving gel and thought I would never have a need for it...now I do.

I bought a Muhle R89, 50 wilkinson sword classic blades, a stand for he razer and some isopropyl spray for cleaning it, some beard shaving oil, and nivea aftershave balm.

My first shave experience:

Almost flawless. No irritation on my hwad except the back of my neck which was only slight and less than a normal shave with a shick hydro 5. But of course I had a hot shower first, shave oil, then lathered the shaving cream on and took my time. I never did any of those things with a hydro 5 so I'm sure if I took all that effort the outcome would have been a closer comparison but I enjoyed the experience. I got 2 tiny nicks on the bone behind each ear because by that point I was getting a bit impatient and he blade slipped sideways each time.

I ordered a shave bowl so I can lather properly. It was probably too thin and now there is stubble in the shaving cream from me trying to lather in there....first time guys. I'm learning.

I don't know if you can upload pictures on a new account here but I'll try. Including my pics immediately after shaving before putting on aftershave balm

ib9nok.jpg

1zl9bih.jpg

Welcome to P&C @Dale - great to have you here (y)

Thanks, glad I found this forum.

I don't want to learn bad habits and shave wrong with DE razer wrong for 20 years as it's obvious I was shaving wrong with a cartridge razor prior.

Hoping to pick up some tips.

Nice! Welcome aboard!

I found DE shaving a decade ago and absolutely love it. Thinking of the morning shave actually helps me get out of bed with some enthusiasm.

Then throughout the day, I pick-up the next soap in rotation, choose which brush I'll use and put them in the bathroom for the next day.

I didn't get into aftershave at all so I use the one balm. I have a handful of razors that I'm happy with too.

Soon enough, you'll likely also have a new addiction...I mean hobby! A new hobby!! :D

Welcome @Dale - have a poke around and have some fun!

Nice! Welcome aboard!

I found DE shaving a decade ago and absolutely love it. Thinking of the morning shave actually helps me get out of bed with some enthusiasm.

Then throughout the day, I pick-up the next soap in rotation, choose which brush I'll use and put them in the bathroom for the next day.

I didn't get into aftershave at all so I use the one balm. I have a handful of razors that I'm happy with too.

Soon enough, you'll likely also have a new addiction...I mean hobby! A new hobby!! :D

It's too late I think. I bought a $30 shaving bowl when I knew any old cup would do. Wanted it to match the set and all that...plus if it's going to live in the bathroom it may as well not look like someone left and unwashed cup on the sink forever.

It's too late I think. I bought a $30 shaving bowl when I knew any old cup would do. Wanted it to match the set and all that...plus if it's going to live in the bathroom it may as well not look like someone left and unwashed cup on the sink forever.

Self justification is just the beginning!
o_O

But definitely one of the most enjoyable hobbies there are! :)

Hello all, Dale from Aus here.

I've been using 5 bladed shick razers for years and decided to try a DE razer as I shave my head and it causes a bit of irritation.

I had it in my head for a few years that I wanted to get a straight razer but the maintainance seems like a lot. After the latest insane gillete ad I saw a lot of comments about DE razers and decided to jump in....I know shick is not gilette but he value argument against multi bladed razers won me over too.

My brother works for shaver shop and he gave me some stuff he got for free a while ago: silver tipped badger brush and holder and 2 200g containters of wahl shaving cream, but I used shaving gel and thought I would never have a need for it...now I do.

I bought a Muhle R89, 50 wilkinson sword classic blades, a stand for he razer and some isopropyl spray for cleaning it, some beard shaving oil, and nivea aftershave balm.

My first shave experience:

Almost flawless. No irritation on my hwad except the back of my neck which was only slight and less than a normal shave with a shick hydro 5. But of course I had a hot shower first, shave oil, then lathered the shaving cream on and took my time. I never did any of those things with a hydro 5 so I'm sure if I took all that effort the outcome would have been a closer comparison but I enjoyed the experience. I got 2 tiny nicks on the bone behind each ear because by that point I was getting a bit impatient and he blade slipped sideways each time.

I ordered a shave bowl so I can lather properly. It was probably too thin and now there is stubble in the shaving cream from me trying to lather in there....first time guys. I'm learning.

I don't know if you can upload pictures on a new account here but I'll try. Including my pics immediately after shaving before putting on aftershave balm

ib9nok.jpg

1zl9bih.jpg

Welcome @Dale, you need to give the straight razors a go :nailbiting:

Welcome @Dale . You need to be careful around here, one minute you're chatting about some soap and blades, the next minute you've added 20 different products to the bathroom. We live to enable :)

I've already been looking at products I either don't need or won't need for ages...and I know what to ask my wife birthday's and christmas' now 😁

Welcome @Dale glad you are on board.
Sounds like you have everything you need already. Hopefully you don't fall into the trap of purchasing everything under the sun.

Welcome @Dale
You are off to a good start!! This sub is great and and you will find plenty of valuable feedback and opportunities to engage with local artisans.

I shave my head daily and enjoy BBS each morning. Let me know if you need some pointers.