new shaver

atozer

Hey guys,
I'm new in these parts. Had my fifth shave today (DE shave that is). Normally I only shave every second day but I took delivery of some Otoko soap yesterday and couldn't wait. I got cocky with a Merkur 42 (1904) with a green 7 o'clock blade (second use). It got to the point where the pencil was just smearing blood around the place. Close shave though. Not much skin is left either, what is left is glowing red and clearly exposed to air a few weeks premature. I think I'll let what skin I have left rest until Saturday when I have to go to a wedding.

Hi Atozer.

Welcome to Paste and Cut.

Sounds like you got a nasty bit of razor burn there, along with some bark removed.

Title

I should point out that my four prior DE shave were just dandy.;) I saw Mantic do the polish or buff or something, anyway I thought I would try and it felt alright while I was doing it but it takes about 15 seconds for the blood to shine through.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. Just go slow, don't use any more pressure than is needed to hold the razor to your face and tilt the head back towards your skin a bit more. Just go the single pass to start with and don't get caught up in the baby butt smooth retoric. A single pass will give you a pretty smooth appearance and the reality is that most regular shavers don't go all out for the super smooth three pass shave every single time.

Hi mate

Take it easy, blood letting gets old very soon. Your face probably isn't quite used to daily shaving either. I always find I get great results after skipping a day, but rarely have the self control to do that.

Forget the results and fancy techniques for now, and work on your lather and the basics. Get to know your gear well and it'll all happen sooner.

Yeah point taken, Go Slooow. Anyway loved the Otoko, it's Aussie, it's all natural (even the surfectant), and it was lush. I can only compare to Prorazo which I have used thrice and as a teenager I used to use Shave Stick if that still exists.

I should point out that my four prior DE shave were just dandy.;) I saw Mantic do the polish or buff or something, anyway I thought I would try and it felt alright while I was doing it but it takes about 15 seconds for the blood to shine through.

I thought Mantic's face looked seriously unhealthy and not an advert for wet shaving. Mind you, seeing a guy in a bathroom doing things to himself I found a bit off putting to start with.

I really doubt Proraso had a shave stick. They've cranked out the same soap and cream for decades, the soap far too soft to get into a shave stick.

I'm sure Pj has tried tho...

I really doubt Proraso had a shave stick. They've cranked out the same soap and cream for decades, the soap far too soft to get into a shave stick.

I'm sure Pj has tried tho...

I think he was saying that he has used Proraso AND and product called Shave Stick

BTW - WELCOME TO P&C - or Vision Collision as we like to call it around here.

Be warned though - we are a mad bunch. Ignore Drubs of course, he is the maddest of the bunch.

Your timing might just be perfect too as Drubbing does have a brush for sale just listed today here. Actually it is not just a brush, it is a Simpsons Chubby 1 - the badger to end any desire for another badger brush, a truly sensation peice of kit at a great price. If you are going yuck about buying a used brush don't - just wash it and you will be fine.

Enough of that - in other news - what they have said above (and your decision to give your face a rest) is great advice

Happy shaving

PS - I do NOT have one of everything - don't listen to them :D

Quite right, sorry. I'm still right tho, which is as it should be. Don't get picky Mark, or it's back in the commie party for you.

OK, yep, sorry mate - of course you were correct comrade Drubbing.

True enough - I heard that you have 3 of everything.

Well, only SOME things :D Gillette gives you such a dilemma when they produce variations of the same razor. I recently got a 1934 OC Aristocrat in what I originally thought was the wrong box so I could 'upgrade' the one I had and sell the old one. Turns out it was the right box - just a different variant. So I had to keep both didn't I?

I think that's enough. Everyone should leave Mark alone. Of course he doesn't have 1 of everything.

He only has one of most things. The most expensive and hard to find ones.

Ummm, sorry comrade. See my sig - still the most expensive and hard to find ellude me, although I am negotiating on a 1903/4 Pat App For Double Ring as we speak..... ;)

Sorry atozer

Another thing mate - threads seem to get hijacked and go off the rails on to a wide range of topics here too. I blame the mods personally.

Hi Atozer, welcome aboard :)

Bad luck on carving your face up mate. I've been at this for a year and I tend to only do a bit of blade buffing in selected areas. I have steered well clear of j-hooking and some of the other "advanced" techniques. I tend to pull a face to get a better angle on things in preference to getting too fancy with the razor.

Have you been a long time user of brush lathering or is that new too? Getting your lather down with a quality cream/soap goes a long way to getting a good shave. I haven't tried tohe otoko so I can't give any advice there. If you have been looking at lather pics on the other boards be aware that it often looks like poor lather to me. Far too dry and airy in an effort to beat up a volume to impress the casual onlooker.

Giving the face a rest sounds like a good idea! Good luck for your next shave :)

I haven't seen RM around for a while, so I blame him.

Yep, all my fault, although for some silly reason I also made Drubs a mod also.... and in 9/10 cases the thread derail starts with him.... :confused:

Welcome to Vision Collision Atozer. Can I interest you in some blades ??? :laugh:

Yep, all my fault, although for some silly reason I also made Drubs a mod also.... and in 9/10 cases the thread derail starts with him.... :confused:

Welcome to Vision Collision Atozer. Can I interest you in some blades ??? :laugh:

You sure you have enough to dispose of any Razor? Last calculation you were down to 872 years worth - could be getting a little thin if that immortality drug works. :)