New to paste n cut

Well a parcel arrived yesterday. I got a new DE razor, a muhle R41, and some proraso red pre shave cream.

I had a shave with it this morning using a polsilver stainless SI blade.
Firstly the pre shave from proraso was really nice and felt silky on the face, I then lathered up with proraso red and did a two pass shave (that was all that was needed for a super smooth shave) The R41 is def aggressive as I could feel the blade doing its thing. No need for anything but the very light weight of the razor for pressure. This beast is going to take some work to get comfortable with IF I ever am able to get comfortable with it at all. Like anything new it will take time I guess.
R41 is a stunning performer, worth taking the time to get comfortable with. It was my second or third razor and even though it doesn't get as much attention now as I prefer the feel in the hand of my brass, SS and aluminium razors the performance still puts a big smile on my face every time I use it, and sometimes that is with a heavier stainless handle.

Am new to this site

Welcome from me in Sydney! Its a great place here. Lots of helpful ppl

my go to daily soap is proraso red I find it is just really reliable and good value

I use the proraso green (with the matching aftershave) and think its awesome. I like to try others but always come back to that one. I have both the red and the white incoming. Should be here any day now!

proraso sandalwood aftershave

How do you find the AS. Is the sandalwood overpowering at all?

Well a parcel arrived yesterday. I got a new DE razor, a muhle R41, and some proraso red pre shave cream.

I had a shave with it this morning using a polsilver stainless SI blade.
Firstly the pre shave from proraso was really nice and felt silky on the face, I then lathered up with proraso red and did a two pass shave (that was all that was needed for a super smooth shave) The R41 is def aggressive as I could feel the blade doing its thing. No need for anything but the very light weight of the razor for pressure. This beast is going to take some work to get comfortable with IF I ever am able to get comfortable with it at all. Like anything new it will take time I guess.

there is def plenty of blade feel with the R41 but your on the right path with your light touch. Also try riding the cap more for your angle.. works a treat for me

but also there are others that use a steeper angle, try both out and see what works for your YMMV

One other thing that may help is to try a heavier handle, i find this way it is easier to control the heaviness of my touch by just allowing the weight of the razor do its thing with ZERO extra pressure applied

I have never used the proraso red soap but i absolutely love the scent of the Proraso Red Splash, will always have one in the den for sure

there is def plenty of blade feel with the R41 but your on the right path with your light touch. Also try riding the cap more for your angle.. works a treat for me

but also there are others that use a steeper angle, try both out and see what works for your YMMV

One other thing that may help is to try a heavier handle, i find this way it is easier to control the heaviness of my touch by just allowing the weight of the razor do its thing with ZERO extra pressure applied

I have never used the proraso red soap but i absolutely love the scent of the Proraso Red Splash, will always have one in the den for sure
Thanks @StratMan i am def finding it different to be able to feel the blade but then again using a straight razor is the same feel, and the angles are slightly different for sure, I’ve never come across the term riding the cap but I think I do it somewhat by reducing the angle a tad, will make a point of taking notice of it for curiosity sake. How’s the Bluetooth speaker going??

Thanks @StratMan i am def finding it different to be able to feel the blade but then again using a straight razor is the same feel, and the angles are slightly different for sure, I’ve never come across the term riding the cap but I think I do it somewhat by reducing the angle a tad, will make a point of taking notice of it for curiosity sake. How’s the Bluetooth speaker going??

by riding the cap think of touching your cheek with the razor at the normal angle, then lift the end of your razor while the cap comes in contact with your cheek, that.s what i mean.. in that direction, just keep at it.. but as for a straight i would never know or ever will (y)

mate i said to myself, how does he know i got a bluetooth speaker?? then it slowly came back, sorry mate short term memory loss there and missed it with the shave tonight.. we'll aim for some SRV tomorrow night :)