Newbie question

gthomas04

...was Drubbing's first. AKA Captain Tightarse
See I do show my lack of knowledge - about to use the Fat Boy for the first time. It has as you will all know a 1-9 counter on it - does 1 mean the most blade and 9 the least or arsy versy.

Thank you gentlemen.

PS going to put a Gillette Blue in OK?

See I do show my lack of knowledge - about to use the Fat Boy for the first time. It has as you will all know a 1-9 counter on it - does 1 mean the most blade and 9 the least or arsy versy.

Thank you gentlemen.

PS going to put a Gillette Blue in OK?
1 means the least, 9 means the more aggressive setting. So start with 3 as 1 is a waste of time. Then work up to 5.
I normally shift between 5 and 7 depending on the blade.

If I may hijack for a moment - is every adjustable the same, as in do they all start at 1 and go to 9?

The earliest gillettes were 1-5.
Later fatboys, slims and supers, are 1-9, but not on the same scale. For example 1970s "supers" are called that because they got rid of the extremes like '1' or '9' and made all their 9 settings in between, so mr average could have more fine control in between.
Modern adjustables like Merkur are not 1-9 either

Last edited:
If I may hijack for a moment - is every adjustable the same, as in do they all start at 1 and go to 9?

Per Pablo & I'll add that the aggression of any particular setting on the same model of razor (say 5 on a Fatboy) will not necessarily be the same on another ostensibly identical razor (ie. another Fatboy).

Oh and you can "overclock" it too - hold in the wee marker thing and turn past 9... conversely you can of course "underclock" (same idea but turn past 1)...

Although it's been a while since I've used one, you're also meant to dial up your setting with the doors pretty loose and then tighten them down.

All done - first fatboy

Fatboy started on 3 couldnt feel anything, moved it to 5 still didnt feel any balde on my face but it got nice and smooth. Used the new Chinese badger (which I think is the real McCoy) and some almond cream soap supplied by Drubbing.

Very nice shave except it felt a little strange not getting any blade feel at all. Maybe the angle was wrong, but the results were certainly good.

Glen (Just sharing my ramblings)

From memory of using the Slim, they're pretty mild razors and also need to be held quite 'high', with the head flatter to the face than Merkurs, to find the blade edge.

Fatboy started on 3 couldnt feel anything, moved it to 5 still didnt feel any balde on my face......

Did you read my previous post regarding the sequence in changing settings? You might have changed the setting from 3 to 5 but without releasing the gates (doors? whatever they're called) it might not have actually changed anything.

Did you read my previous post regarding the sequence in changing settings? You might have changed the setting from 3 to 5 but without releasing the gates (doors? whatever they're called) it might not have actually changed anything.

Nope didnt see that one - will have to try the door opening trick next time. Thanks for the heads up.